IGNORED

Air Filter cfm

dlhoulton

I'm trying to find out if there is any other air filter and housing that can be used on a 2nd Gen Venture. I called Yamaha and asked if they could give me the cfm draw of a stock filter and housing. They told me that was info that they could not give out. So I've been posting on another site and thougt I would post here to see if anyone else might have some knowledge on the subject. I got some info on another forum of someone using these http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Honda-Kawasaki-Suzuki-Yamaha-NEW-Chrome-Air-Filter-45mm_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ35595QQihZ012QQitemZ220310739471QQtcZphoto

They have had good results and have not had to rejet.

Also someone found this company that sounds like they could make an adaptor plate to fit the application. http://www.vesquared.com/ramflo/index.htm The problem here is we don't know the cfm of the stock Venture. Just trying to come up with something else that would not require rejeting and would not cause problems (running lean or rich). I'm not mechanicly smart and just looking for something to bolt on. Also a way to dress up the Venture without spending lots of cash!!!!!

Take the engine displacement in cubic centimeters and divide by 16.38706 to get cubic inches.

Take the engine displacement in cubic inches and divide it by 1728 to get the displacement in cubic feet.

Multiply that by the max RPM. That would be what the rev limiter is set at.

Divide that by 2 as it is is a four stroke engine.

Divide that by 2 as there are 2 air filters.

Now that would be the MINIMUM CFM rating you need..... you should probably up it to make sure it is free flowing.

Easy....

I think I could work this out but I have no idea what the stock rev limiter is set at for an 08 RSV. On Yamaha's web site it states that the RSV is 1294cc (79 cubic inch). So 1294 divided by 16.3706 = 78.964744133 (cubic inches). That divided by 1728 = 0.045694444 (cubic foot). Now for the missing formula!!!!

Edited by dlhoulton

I'd keep my Fingers away from the Airbox/Airfilter System. Yammi made an Art out of the Intake System and just to save some Money on buying a Filter every two Years, I'd stay off the System. You could find yourself in the middle of an neverending Story tinkering with the Carb Jetting. If you consider K&N Filters as a Saving, go that Route and be a happy Camper.

Thanks for all the replys to my questions. Was not looking or trying to improve air intake or make any more gitty up and go. Just wanted to make her look pretty!!!! Thinking some other air filter/pod (chrome) or filter kit like "RamFlo", "MaxAir" would do it. Just can't dig deep enough in my wallet to get Yamaha's filter covers and to boot the extra expence of K&N air filters $$$$$$. Will have to turn my thinking cap around and go another direction!! I have noticed that out of all the pictures of RSV and all the accessories that have been put on them non have had anything but Yamaha's billet covers. It's a shame that this is the one area of the bike that can't be or is the most difficult to dress up.

Edited by dlhoulton

Thanks for all the replys to my questions. Was not looking or trying to improve air intake or make any more gitty up and go. Just wanted to make her look pretty!!!! Thinking some other air filter/pod (chrome) or filter kit like "RamFlo", "MaxAir" would do it. Just can't dig deep enough in my wallet to get Yamaha's filter covers and to boot the extra expence of K&N air filters $$$$$$. Will have to turn my thinking cap around and go another direction!! I have noticed that out of all the pictures of RSV and all the accessories that have been put on them non have had anything but Yamaha's billet covers. It's a shame that this is the one area of the bike that can't be or is the most difficult to dress up.

If your looking for more chrome dress up you can make a big wish list by looking at Scott's bike. user name "got2mnytoys" It's the most dressed I've seen yet

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/member.php?u=5259

scott.jpg

Why not make your own air filter housings and use the factory filters????

Buying chrome out of a catalog is nice.

IMHO, making your own billet aluminum or chrome pieces is true customization.

however the only customization I have done are safety improvements. Stable horn, extra tail light, replacing the lamps with brighter ones, etc, and some maintenance improvements like using Honda Moly60 on the splines.

I guess I would rather put my money into the tank and a hotel room for an overnight ride rather than to bolt on some chrome, but it is all personal preference.

Please post some photos of whatever you do to your bike!!!!!!

Edited by KiteSquid

Thanks for all the replys to my questions. Was not looking or trying to improve air intake or make any more gitty up and go. Just wanted to make her look pretty!!!! Thinking some other air filter/pod (chrome) or filter kit like "RamFlo", "MaxAir" would do it.

I don't understand. Isn't the airbox buried under the tank? Don't the carb inlets face straight up under the tank like they do on a 1st gen? As such, how is an aftermarket chrome air filter even going to be seen?

Running the numbers here for CFM for a 1st gen (7000 rpm) gives 160 CFM. If V.E. is 80%, multiply by 80%. 2nd gen is probably similar. But CFM ratings can be deceiving. Flow has to be rated at some consistent pressure drop to be meaningful. When a company says they can flow "X CFM" but they don't give a pressure drop, they might have to pull 7 psi of pressure drop to get that flow which is not what you want.

One example of inconsistent standards is 4 vs 2 barrel carbs. 4 barrel ratings are pretty consistent at, I think, 1.5" of water pressure drop (a very small amount). 2 barrels are less consistent, but often rated at 3" of water, twice the drop. So if a 4 barrel and a 2 barrel had the same numerical flow rating, say 400 CFM, the 4 would actually flow more freely because its rating is achieved with less drop. Back before 4 barrels were common, there existed flow benches for testing carbs and the standard drop was 3". As engines became more powerful and 4 barrels came on the scene, the flow benches couldn't pull enough air to get them up to 3" drop so they used a different standard, 1.5".

Jeremy