IGNORED

Removing tour pack on RSV

Guest Bar

Not sure if i'm posting this in the right place, my appologies if so.

I'm curious if anyone has removed the tour pack (trunk) and rear seat as a modification of look for a RSV. I'm thinking that it would totally change the styling and maybe improve the handling in the process. I think it would drastically improve the looks if there was only the rear fender showing, but still retain the bags. I think it would look very sharp.

Anyone have done this, if so, much work involved, and do you have a picture?

Many thanks,

Bar:cool18:

Bar, I have removed the trunk on mine. I have a few pix posted in my gallery. It wasn't very hard to do. The antenna mounts were the hardest things for me. I wanted to keep both the CB and the radio. I finally found a guy to machine the mounts from aluminum and I mounted them down low on the fender struts. I put the CB in the left saddlebag and velcroed it to the inside of the bag. Takes up very little room. I still have the original seats for long trips. It gives me a place to put a bag. I have another set of seats that are cut down quite a bit for shorter rides. I'm still looking at putting a one piece on, but I haven't worked out the mounts yet. If you remove the back seat, there are quite few wires that would need to be hidden somewhere. As far as the handling, it is like a completely different bike. It's amazing how much lighter the bike feels without that extra 30 lbs up there. BTW, I had put +/- 50K miles on the bike before I took the trunk off. I was OK before with the handling, but this made the bike so much better. I dont think I will ever put the trunk back on. You could go with the RSTD, but I really like the fairing look and the radios. If you do pull it, you will be really surprised how much lighter it feels. But, "whatever blows your dress up"...

Bar, I have removed the trunk on mine. I have a few pix posted in my gallery. It wasn't very hard to do. The antenna mounts were the hardest things for me. I wanted to keep both the CB and the radio. I finally found a guy to machine the mounts from aluminum and I mounted them down low on the fender struts. I put the CB in the left saddlebag and velcroed it to the inside of the bag. Takes up very little room. I still have the original seats for long trips. It gives me a place to put a bag. I have another set of seats that are cut down quite a bit for shorter rides. I'm still looking at putting a one piece on, but I haven't worked out the mounts yet. If you remove the back seat, there are quite few wires that would need to be hidden somewhere. As far as the handling, it is like a completely different bike. It's amazing how much lighter the bike feels without that extra 30 lbs up there. BTW, I had put +/- 50K miles on the bike before I took the trunk off. I was OK before with the handling, but this made the bike so much better. I dont think I will ever put the trunk back on. You could go with the RSTD, but I really like the fairing look and the radios. If you do pull it, you will be really surprised how much lighter it feels. But, "whatever blows your dress up"...

Nice bike...what kind of seat do you have on it? It appears to lower the instep.(?)

Both sets are original seats that I had modified. When I first got the bike, I had Butt Buffer cut down the sides and had them add some foam at the back and added a gel pad. I'm only 5' 7" and had a little trouble flat footing it and reaching the bars. The other seats I had cut down even more which puts me more "in" the bike. Not as comfortable for 5-600 mile days but it works fine for normal day trips. I think any good upholstery shop should be able to modify a seat the way you want.

Thanks PERM44 and all for the encouragement. The bike do look very sharp, and I'm glad to hear about the improved handling. Too bad we can't get some kind of "quick release" system so it would not be such a deal to change it back and forth. The trunk does come in handy sometimes.

Best regards,

Bar