IGNORED

Lowering an '07 RSV ?

Guest Bar

Hey Members,

Anyone get any tech tips, advise, possible costs, parts or modifications needed to lower my RSV. I am hopeing it will take her down a couple of inches or so, front and back. This should improve handling, especially with 2 up and/or a full tank or trunk.

Appreciate any advice.

Thanks,

Bar:Venture:

I would NOT recommended lowering ANY motorcycle, except as the LAST resort.

It decreases maximum lean angle, which could cause you to wreck your bike and get hurt!!!!!

If you want your bike to handle better, I recommend that you learn how to make your bike do what you want it to do. this can only be accomplished by lots of practice!!!!!

take the Motorcycle Safety Foundation course, and get the Ride Like a Pro V DVD and PRACTICE what they have to teach!!!!

Look in your owners manual to see what the minimum turn radius is..... you will be surprised!!

I cannot yet turn that tight, as I have not practiced enough....yet, but I'm working on it.

Sorry Squid but I disagree. Lowering the front 5/8" did wonders for the low speed handling of my bike. Demo rides teaching the ERC I scrape a little sooner but normal riding I do not see a big change in groud clearance. Before I hit the back of the floorboard (where the steel plate is), now it hits at the front of the wear plate under the floor board. When I do the 20' u turn box is the only time I notice the change of ground clearance. Rod

Thanks guys for the links and tips/advice. Kitesquid, I appreciate your advice, but I want to lower because I think it will improve the handling. I have been riding for many years, and have 30,000++K on my RSV, so I am confident in the handling, but I hear that it improves the ride even better because when lowering the front, it actually levels out the bike when you are sitting on it. I think it is a fair job to take off the fairing, disconnect wireing, etc to get at the forks. This will likely be a Winter project. I will however just try the front first. Thanks for the tip.

Bar

I have lowered the front of my RSV by sliding the forks up aprox. 1" and have had no problems, there are a lot of bikes out there with a lot less ground clearance than the RSV. I have the kit from Barons to lower the back, which I plan to do soon. The kick stand on the origional Royal Star is almost 3 inches shorter than the Venture and I have not heard of any great problems with the those bikes concerning their maximum lean. I personally like the feel of a bike that sits a little lower as well as being easier to swing a leg over when wearing leathers.

If you lower the bike and don't like it, you can always put it back to stock. I would suggest using calipers or another way to measure and make sure you move both sides exactly the same distance if you decide to lower the front.

I agree with KiteSquid. I've had a Vulcan before and it handled fine, but I find my Venture with no lowering kit a lot better and easier to handle than my Vulcan. Considering that is is a heavier bike, I am really amazed.

I do have the Baron's lowering kit sitting in my garage, brand new, and due to my heigh at 5'5" I have considered it to be installed...but I thought otherwise and am glad that I stayed with the stock height.

Lowering the bike from the rear may help in handling, but not sure how much more improvement in handling you are looking for on the Venture. Whatever you decide, have a great time installing the kit and let us know how it feels. Ride Safe.

I gotta keep adding my two cents...I agree with Rod...lowering mine 1 1/2" really improved my bike, and dropping to the next smaller size Avon Venom tires was like icing on the cake...I have no qualms recommending others to try and see if they like the new ride. Haven't considered the Barons kit cuz I am really happy about the way she rides as is.

Bar

I didn't see mention of how tall you are.

I have tried the "leveling links" that raise the back, tried a lowing kit on the back, lowered the front both 1/2 inch and 1 inch and a narrower front tire. Lots of fun seeing what worked for ME.

Raising the back with the leveling links really does lighten up the handling. They don't raise the back much but they really do make a difference. I also had a bit of a reach to the ground at stock height and the links just made me more uncomfortable holding it up.

For my height lowering the front helped with the low speed and its free (if you have access to a motorcycle jack). I scraped the boards a little more but wasn't that much of a difference.

I put a kit on to lower the back 1 1/2 inch. A lot more comfortable at a stop but it was noticeably slower maneuvering.

At the moment I'm running the narrow front tire and stock height suspension.

Jerry

Hey again guys,

I also know someone who is about 5 1/2 ' or so and he swears that lowering his RSV has made it not only easier for him height wise, but also improved handling, which was a bonus. He dropped the front about an inch. I\m about 6' tall, so it's not a groung reach problem. I just wouls like to see the bike sit lower in it's styling and also improve slow speed manuvers. Personlaay, I do not find any problems at high speeds, but I am hoping it will be even better if I lower my bike. I will however research this before I do anything.

To me, it only makes sense. When you look at sport bikes, they look lower in the front, and I guess it is for speed and handling. Consider the aerodynamics and the physics involved here. Same for the Venture, when you are accelerating, it may maintain a more level position, and also more weight on the front wheel. I can only see an improvement from this. I guess the proof is in the pudding, those who have done this seem to appreciate an improvement. Anyone else share this logic?

Safe riding to all, and good luck with any modifications you make.:Cool_cool36:

Bar

Edited by Bar
to answer and clarify a previous question.

Bar

I sure couldn't say one way or another about sport bikes. Overall the influence seems to be on steering caster angle and trail. When I was messing with it I was amazed on how responsive the bike is on what looked like minor adjustment.

When I was running the front lowed 1 inch I would normally ride one up with no air in the rear shock and it was nice easy handling. With air in the back keeping the rear height up and still one up it was very light handling, just about too much for me. Thats when I went to 1/2 inch down in the front.

What ever I have the suspension set to I ride no air so the rear will settle some helping with my reach. No good at all with a passenger. Maneuvers like a pig with a passenger and no air. This part got me thinking. Do you air up the shock when you have a passenger?

Jerry

Hey Jerry,

I have about 45 lbs in the rear and about 4 in the front all the time, whether 2 up or not with my '07 RSV. This is what I found perfect with the wife on and luggage for touring this past summer. I am about 200+ lbs and my wife is approx 140+ (hope she don't see this). I found it pretty much all around good so I have not changed it, but I have not checked it either since approx. 6,000K. You should stiffen up the rear shocks when riding double.

Cheers,

Bar