IGNORED

Wind Noise in Headsets from Microphone

Guest PKSlice

Guest PKSlice

I have a 2000 Royal Star Venture Millenium model. I bought some basic J+M headset units advertised as fitting the bike's factory audio sytem but the mic's are always "on" so I get an awful lot of wind noise transmitting into our ear pieces via the microphones. I even hear my own voice in my earpieces when I talk to the passenger. The "push to talk" does not seem to work either (or is that just for the CB?). DO you guys get this happening with the original factory units?

J+M sells another attachment for about $150 each to get ride of the noise (basically an extra "push to talk" it seems). Ugh, they seem to drain you of $$$

Also I bought a spare Yamaha (aka J+M) unit on eBay but the microphone does not seem to work. The part is dated 2004 and part number is STR-4XY89-30-KT so I wonder if it's just a year compatability issue or if it's broken. The wind noise thing is my real issue tho'

Please advise...

Thanks,

PKslice

Try turning your IC down it's probably at 20 and that's why it's bothering you. I doubt it's the HS. Is there a piece of foam covering the mic?

You can turn the IC down to where you are not hearing all that stuff and still have a conversation with the passenger. All of the RSV's will give you that kind of noise if you turn the IC to MAX. At least both of mine did and I had and have the high dollar J & M headsets.

If you don't have a passenger then turn the IC down to 0 and the problem is fixed. Since my wife has her own bike, I only use the IC to test my MIC then turn it back down to 0.

Wayne

Another thing to consider is mic position. Microphone volume is related to the square of distance from the sound source (your mouth), meaning that moving it a little closer makes the signal alot stronger. If it is not already, try putting the mic sock gently against your lips, and your passenger's similarly positioned. They you can possibly turn the intercom down.

I need to do this on mine (87 VR). We just took our first trip with the headsets and it is pretty good, but at interstate speeds I have to turn it up pretty loud and have the same problem. Full-face helmets make mic adjustment a bit of a pain though : (

Jeremy

Guest PKSlice

Yeah, I have the foam sock over the mic's. Also we set the I/C level at about 16 out of 20. Any lower and we can't hear each other very well at highway speeds. Part of the problem is hearing speech over the transmitted wind noise so we can't set it too low. It sounds like everyone has this issue from what I can see. I did talk to an Electra Glide buddy and he said on the Harley he can adjust the "sensitivity" in CB mode (sort of like squelch) which helps reduce the wind noise when he is in communication mode. Does anyone think adjusting CB squelch on the Royal Star would have any effect when just talking to the passenger?

PKslice

I have a 2000 Royal Star Venture Millenuim model. I bought some cheaper J+M headset units that fit the bike's factory audio sytem but the mic's are always "on" so I get an awful lot of wind noise transmitting into our ear pieces via the microphones. I even hear my own voice in my earpices when I talk to the passenger. The "push to talk" does not seem to work either (or is that just for the CB?). DO you guys get this happening with the original factory units?

J+M sells another attachment for about $150 each to get ride of the noise (basically an extra "push to talk" it seems). Ugh, they seem to drain you of $$$

Also I bought a spare Yamaha (aka J+M) unit on eBay but the microphone does not seem to work. The part is dated 2004 and part number is STR-4XY89-30-KT so I wonder if it's just a year compatability issue or if it's broken. The wind noise thing is my real issue tho'

Two things you can try are.

1) put a larger foam around the mic this will stop a lot of wind noise. I did this and it helped a lot.

2) Posotion of the speakers is very important. If they are to far from your ears they will not seem to have a lot of volume or quality sound. I had to adjust mine and add a peice of foam behind the ear speakers to move them closer to my ears and after that I was able to turn down the IC to about 12.

If you have every used small speahers from a mp3 or Ipod just think of how much better the volume and sound is when they are positoned in the ear properly. Same goes for the J&M Headsets.

I think you will find that most of the noise you are getting is coming from the passenger head set. Unplug it and see if it doesn't work better. My wife doesn't believe it because she doesn't hear as much of the wind as I do. The only solution I found was to put a mic mute on and it works great.

Bob

I agree, I bought it, installed it, and it works great...... :happy65:

Plus I can turn the wife off when she babbles... she doesn't even know..:whistling:

How does the mic mute work? From what I've read you just tap the PTT and the intercom (Mic) comes on......even without the CB on, Is this true or am I just confused as usual?

So, if the CB is on, you just tap the PTT if you want to use the intercom and then hold the PTT if you want to use the CB?

Does it shut the intercom off after a certain amount of time or do you have to manually turn the intercom off with the PTT switch?

I to was haveing that same problem....I installed a push to talk switch from air rider On both the drivers and passengers.....We both love it and was simple to install and aournd $70.00. If you have any questions about it feel free to message me.

Guest PKSlice

I had a look at the Air Riders site but didn't see the kit to convert the mic's to a true push-to-talk. Does anyone have the exact url for the product?

Thanks

• 1 year later...
The MicMutes works very well. It should be standard on the RSV.

We have a MicMute and it works well. My problem is not the wind noise it is the engine, even @ idle you can hear the tic tic tic tic and as you get up to speed it gets louder.

Is this normal? It sure is hard on the ear's. Has anyone had this problem and solved it?

Johnny

After putting the speakers directly in front of our ear opening we now set the I/C (Intercom) level at about 6 + - 1 we do use heavy foam sock over the mic's.

Don't get your I/C volume mixed up with the CB and Radio volume. Each has it's own volume controls.

My IC is set at 10. One thing I did was to turn the microphone so it is facing up. This eleimated almost all of the engine noise the mike would pick up and drive you crazy.....Just make sure you have it close to your mouth....

We have a MicMute and it works well. My problem is not the wind noise it is the engine, even @ idle you can hear the tic tic tic tic and as you get up to speed it gets louder.

Is this normal? It sure is hard on the ear's. Has anyone had this problem and solved it?

Johnny

The tic-tic-tic noise is spark plug/plug wire noise. You either have a cracked plug wire or non-resistor plugs, or both