IGNORED

Process for transferring warranty

SilvrT

Warranty should be same no matter which side of the border! Dealer in Medicine Hat stated that they are transferable. Should just go in with serial # etc and it should be a done deal. All he has to do is look it up on his computer.

Please let me know how you make out, because this spring I will be doing the same as you LOL.

So, I called a different dealer and got a straight answer... basically, whenever I feel like it, take the registration to the dealer and he'll look after it. In the meantime, if anything goes wrong...it really doesn't matter...they'll swap it over at that time. Essentially, the warranty is for the bike, not the person who owns it (so he says).

Brian,

Thanks for the info regarding bikes into Canada from the US. I had heard that before, but I still don't see the reason for it. A bike under warranty is under warranty.

I remember my 96 Royal Star. At the time, the US boys were getting things under warranty that the Canadian dealers would not do. For one, the rear shock. Yamaha made me so darn mad I sold it and swore never to buy another...but that's another story!

Hope you get yours running for next spring.

According to the fella I'm buying the bike from, here's what he found on Yamaha's web site...

Section B Subsequent Owner

The warranty provided for in Section A may be transferred to

any subsequent owner provided that the period of warranty

has not expired and that the CUSTOMER has complied with

all terms and conditions of this warranty.

The subsequent owner has the responsibility for ensuring that

a change of registration is sent to YAMAHA at the time of

transfer of ownership.

This transfer must be done by contacting the DEALER who

will forward the following information to YAMAHA:

a) the complete model and serial number as shown on

the original warranty document;

b) the name of the previous owner;

c) the original delivery date of the MOTORCYCLE;

d) the complete name and address of the subsequent

owner;

e) the indication that the subsequent owner has received

and read the owner's manual and this warranty policy.

hey BJB it depends whether you are talking about provincial border or US border. Ive heard the warranties are transferable easily between provinces, but you have NO warranty if you buy a bike from the States.

Brian

I bought a 2006 Venture from Mikes Famous Harley Davidson down in Delaware and I live in Canada. I shoot over the boarder for my warrantee work and have no problems getting it done. Dealers up here have their noses out of joint and don’t want to warrantee US bikes but that’s too bad for them. They say they can’t do it but if you are from the States and traveling in Canada and need work done they can do it. What happens is that they get reimbursed by Yamaha US instead of Yamaha Canada. Not only do I get the work done in the States but I also get a good feed of Buffalo wings! Canadian dealers complain about loosing business but do nothing to be competitive. The amount of money that I saved on buying over the boarder is more then what their warrantee is worth. I was prepared to do without the warrantee but am able to get it anyways.

The same is true for parts! For example a Canadian dealer quoted me on a set of WWW Dunlop 404’s. He wanted $229.00 plus %15 tax = $264.00. Then he wanted to charge me 1 hour labor @ $85.00/hr plus tax = $97.00 for a total of $361.00 ... and that’s just for ONE tire! ... I bought TWO tires down in the states delivered to a US address. I pulled the wheels and had the tires installed and balanced for a grand total of $245.00 that’s for TWO tires! Now I’ve heard of guys getting a set of tires installed and balanced for as little as $500 Canadian and considered that a good deal. Well by my math it’s still too much. Warrantee or not, shop around!

:mo money:

Hey guys...the Gen 2 I just bought is a 03 with about 57K on it. Is it covered under a 5 year unlimited mileage warranty? If so, I'm stopping by the local dealership on the way home tonight.

well, since this is '08 it would depend on what the original delivery date was if there is any warranty left....

yep...I guess that's kind of a "duh" on my part. I can calculate the correlation coefficient between multiple indenpendent and dependent variables in order to maximize revenue and/or profit but subtracting 03 from 08 just didn't yield 5 years in my little pea brain :)

Man, when you are over the hill, time picks up speed doesn't it? 03 was just a couple of years ago, wasn't it?:backinmyday: