IGNORED

Motorcycle Jumper Cables

lonestarmedic

Good morning everyone.

I am starting a new thread because I have seen several questions on small jumper cables. I purchased a set during a motorcycle show one year. They are about 10ft. long and have nice clamps and a carrying case. On a 1st Gen. the case fits flat in the bottom of the side bags. I have even loaned them here at work to jump a 4cyl. or small 6cyl. car! Here is the link from Cyclegagets:

http://www.cyclegadgets.com/Products/product.asp?Item=BBOOST

This is the same thing I have. I don't think you can build a set and get a storage bag on your own for this price. At least not unless you have things laying around. I like having them. Last time, I hooked them to a truck battery and just let it sit for about a half hour before starting. The donor vehicle wasn't even running. We then started the truck and then the bike.

Hope this helps.

JB

I have a set a friend made me for a Christmas gift. 12ga lamp cord with clamps on the ends. They get used quite often. A few tips/facts:

Most jumper cables are #10 wire. The reason they are so large is the insulation around the wire. The wire can get very hot when a large draw (cranking amps) is applied.

Red is + and black is - (I know...but you might be surprised)

Check the level of the battery acid before jumping (should be a regular maint. check).

There is little danger damage jumping a bike from a car unless there is an electrical problem ie short on the bike.

If a battery is dead let it charge for at least 5 min. before trying to start.

If you have to jump a car with a bike there is a possibility of hurting the bikes electrical system. Use the bike to charge the car battery (20 min or more) rather than using the bike to do the work.

If the vehicle turns over slowly stop trying! You can melt your wires. Let it charge longer (15-20 min).

If you go 20 min and no go you have bigger problems and need to find the problem.

Hope this helps Rod

• 3 weeks later...

Further to Rod's post, I've always heard that you should never connect the negative cable direct to the battery. Connect it to a part of the chassis or the engine. Reason is, if you get a spark (for whatever reason), it could blow up the battery.

Additionally, never connect the cables when the vehicle is running.

I've also heard that there is a possible danger of blowing up the on-board computer of the "donor" vehicle.