IGNORED

I got my "I" basket today

I picked my bike up from the dealer this afternoon. They did a complete service and part of it was installing an "I" clutch basket under warranty. I think it helped some but it did not completely eliminate the noise. It's still there, just not at such a high pitch. I think it was worth the effort.

DT

Guest FFJFlanagan

What years are the I baskets ?

Mine is going into the shop thursday to get the splines greased.

What did you tell them to get the new I basket ?

Thanks

What years are the I baskets ?

Mine is going into the shop thursday to get the splines greased.

What did you tell them to get the new I basket ?

Thanks

I just told my dealer that I wanted the basket changed. They called Yamaha and they were told to ride the bike to confirm that it was needed. They did that and then ordered the parts. No problems.

DT

Guest JGorom

Mine went in yesterday (Tuesday) for the clutch basket and right pipe (leaking at the Y) and I am supposed to pick it up sometime today (Wednesday).

My chirp on this bike (04 midnight) was not as bad as it was on my 05 RSTD. But noise is noise and the bike is under warranty so it is getting fixed.

I got mine on my new 2007 done about 1500 miles ago. Major difference here. I also had them shim the driveshaft. Most of the harmonics that drove me crazy are gone. Ther's still a little, but way much better than before! i think that done together has done the trick for me. It's fun now to ride the bike. YES!

Steve:080402gudl_prv:

I had mine done at the 4K service a couple weeks ago. I have put about 1K miles on it and have found that the whine is still there but it is at a much lower volume. It sounds like I would think any bike with straight cut gears should sound. My dealer was aware of the I basket and offered to swap it without me having to ask. It has made an already great bike pretty near perfect to me. I have read here where some say the whine was completely eliminated with the I basket. I do not think that is the case, I think it either helps significantly or not at all. Between the I basket and my new Bub sleeper slip-ons, it is like having a new bike all over again. It is amazing how a good dealer can affect the ownership experience.

About 2-3 months ago I did the change myself with little difficulties. Had the Clymer manual. Switch was done on my 99 RSV and was a dramatic difference. You need an impact wrench and a metric socket for the large nut in the clutch. Also a torque wrench. After that just pay attention to the diagrams. I plan on doing this to my newest bike as I was rear ended 3 weeks ago and my bike was totaled. Hard to believe that I could buy another bike with the same problem but it's an easy fix for me. Just to let you folks know, I bought the parts from MR cycles for just under $200.00. That was gaskets, lock nut and primary drive gear("I" basket). All of the part numbers are available here on the forum. I just don't have them in front of me at this posting. I think that paying over $300.00 for this fix is way to much for as easy as it was. Getthe manual and you won't be disappointed. Comes in handy for other stuff. Like lending it to your buddies.

About 2-3 months ago I did the change myself with little difficulties. Had the Clymer manual. Switch was done on my 99 RSV and was a dramatic difference. You need an impact wrench and a metric socket for the large nut in the clutch. Also a torque wrench. After that just pay attention to the diagrams. I plan on doing this to my newest bike as I was rear ended 3 weeks ago and my bike was totaled. Hard to believe that I could buy another bike with the same problem but it's an easy fix for me. Just to let you folks know, I bought the parts from MR cycles for just under $200.00. That was gaskets, lock nut and primary drive gear("I" basket). All of the part numbers are available here on the forum. I just don't have them in front of me at this posting. I think that paying over $300.00 for this fix is way to much for as easy as it was. Getthe manual and you won't be disappointed. Comes in handy for other stuff. Like lending it to your buddies.

Thanks for the info. I've been thinking about doing mine also. I just rebuilt the clutch and discovered how easy that was to do. I would love to quiet this thing down a bit. I keep turning up the music and now I think I'm going deaf to all but high pitched chirping sounds. :doh:

I got mine on my new 2007 done about 1500 miles ago. Major difference here. I also had them shim the driveshaft. Most of the harmonics that drove me crazy are gone. Ther's still a little, but way much better than before! i think that done together has done the trick for me. It's fun now to ride the bike. YES!

Steve:080402gudl_prv:

At what area did they do the shim? and how much shim?

Thanks,

Jeff

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Had my 03 basket changed out with no cost, Yamaha took care of that. I has eliminated 90% of the churping and I can actually hear the stock muffler noise now. I was told by the dealer in London Ontario (Inglis cycle)that the rep would have to listen to it but after several calls he OK'ed the work without hearing it. The service was excellant there and the bike is now everything that I thought it should be when I purchased it. I suggest everyone out there to get onto Yamaha and have these replaced.

:080402gudl_prv: