IGNORED

I have a new idea- will this work?

petekadish

I would like to change the color of the dash light (speedo, etc) to a blue light. Anyone have an idea if this is a reasonable effort? I think that it would look nice. I also want to find out if it's possible to find the correct replacement bulb in blue, before beginning such a project. Has anyone seen this light changed-out before or does anyone know what specific bulb I want to use for this?

Thanks!

Pete.

Guest tx2sturgis

According to this attached page from the CD service manual, those bulbs are simple bayonet or wedgebase bulbs. Problem is, they are probably clear, and the lens and/or housing is where the coloring comes from. If thats the case, trying to use blue bulbs might result in a very dim panel.

Those bulbs are available in blue, so I'd give it a try. Wont cost but a few dollars and an hour or so of your time.

Guest tx2sturgis
That's referring to the bulbs in the turn, cruise , low fuel indicators, oil, temp. Look at the wiring diagram under 62 in area 51 (Meter). You'll notice it does not have the curly cue indicating an incandescent lamp.

Hmmm...wonder if its LED powered lighting in there.

If they are regular bulbs you can go to any truck stop and get the little colored rubber covers for the bulbs. I call them light condoms. Used them a lot in trucks and buses.

If they ARE leds, and you want to change them, and have the equipment/knowledge you can easily get colored single leds. Lots of places on the web that sell them. Try Custom Dynamics for a starter.

So . . ., it sounds like there is still a question about exactly what bulb I need. So, were would be the best place check for this information? I figured that someone here must have either done it already, or at least would know if it would be worth trying.

I would ask my local dealer, but the last time that I went in there to order an oil filter, the kid working the counter asked me what kind of bike I had, and I told him that it was a Venture. Then, with a puzzled look he asked if that was a Yamaha? I replied, Yes, it's a Yamaha. He then asked if it was an 1800?:confused24: I should have told him that it was the 1800, with EFI and no cassette deck, but I didn't want to have to wait any longer than I had too.

Thanks!

Pete.

Is that because the lights are hard-wired in to a solid-state circuitboard? Just wondering, because how would one be fixed it it happened to go out?

Thanks!

Pete.

There is no way to open the Speedo head on this bike - if the dash lights go out, you have to replace the entire thing. I assume they are LEDs inside, but I do not know. If mine went out after the warranty is up, I would try to cut the case open with a rotary tool and cutting blade to do the repair myself, but other than that necessity, I would not mess with it. :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

• 1 year later...

What about just getting some blue colored tint for the speedo? Not sure how that would look/last.. but if it was important enough to ya- might be a solution. Of course, it would also make the dash darker at night. I think they have light blue tint, though.

Hi Pete long time no see.

The speedo is a sealed unit and the only way to open it is to destroy it.The Speedo part is a strip of something like a printed circuit board that glows.There are no light bulbs per se but I don't know how the "glow" is actually produced.There was a discussion about this over on The Venturers board awhile ago when someone wanted to repair their speedometer.

So are we going to get together this summer and ride? UTAdverture and the Temple Riders are coming down to Spring City to my house on Saturday May 29 for Spring City Heritage Days.Why don't you join us?BBQ Friday night and historic tours Saturday.Call me I think all my information is still on STAR.Or pm me here.

From what everyone has said, I don't think that this project would be very fun to take on for me. I think that I will leave the little whitish-yellow dash-lights as is. However, I still think that blue, LED dash-lights would look very cool. Maybe one day, someone else can figure out how to do this.

Thanks guys & Be Safe!

Pete.

From what everyone has said, I don't think that this project would be very fun to take on for me. I think that I will leave the little whitish-yellow dash-lights as is. However, I still think that blue, LED dash-lights would look very cool. Maybe one day, someone else can figure out how to do this.

Thanks guys & Be Safe!

Pete.

I HAVE A BUNCH OF 12 VOLT BLUE LEDs THAT I WIRED UP FOR ACCENT LIGHTS THAT I HAVE NOW TAKEN OFF, IF YOU WANT TO PLAY WITH A COUPLE I CAN SEND YOU A FEW.

JUST A THOUGHT :lightbulb:

BUBBER

I don't think that a tint film will get quite the look I hope for. But, thanks for the suggestion Dan.

And Steve ..., thanks for the offer of the blue LED bulbs. While I don't really want to try opening-up the headset since it sounds like too much potential trouble, I might be interested in adding them to my collection of already-installed, blue LED lights on my bike. I still have a few spots which could use a little lighting-up. Are the LEDs which you have pretty bright? Do you know what brand they are or can you describe them a little bit for me? The ones which I currently have installed, are a combination of LED strip-lights, and a couple of multi-bulb LED pod units.

Depending on what you might want for them, and if they look like something I might want to use, maybe we can work something out.

Thanks & Be Safe!

Pete.

My dash lights were out on 99 there is a post here somewhere telling how to put led lights to repair not a fun job. They stick to the back of glass I then put a thin strip of black tape on outside of glass to hide the strips. The post said to paint glass. Tape has worked well for me. jmc

I don't think that a tint film will get quite the look I hope for. But, thanks for the suggestion Dan.

And Steve ..., thanks for the offer of the blue LED bulbs. While I don't really want to try opening-up the headset since it sounds like too much potential trouble, I might be interested in adding them to my collection of already-installed, blue LED lights on my bike. I still have a few spots which could use a little lighting-up. Are the LEDs which you have pretty bright? Do you know what brand they are or can you describe them a little bit for me? The ones which I currently have installed, are a combination of LED strip-lights, and a couple of multi-bulb LED pod units.

Depending on what you might want for them, and if they look like something I might want to use, maybe we can work something out.

Thanks & Be Safe!

Pete.

Here are the pictures I promised Pete.

These were made in to a harness that I put under the tank to use as accent lighting they worked pretty good and they were bright at least bright enough for me. If I remember right I had to solder a resister in line to drop the voltage.

Anyway here are the pictures.

Bubber