IGNORED

Bushtec Quantum trailer

BigBear

I personally think that Bushtec makes the best trailer on the market for motorcycles. I don't know specifically about the Quantum but I'm sure it's quality is on par with their other models. Some here will argue that spending that much money on a trailer is crazy. I say that if you have the money and that is the one that rings your bell, then go for it. A lot of people spend money on things that I wouldn't and I'm sure some think that I do the same. It's a matter of what YOU want.

Bushtecs are pricey, no aurgument there. I have a Bushtec Roadstar I pulled with my 98 Tour Classic and now pull with my Venture. I have pulled it for probably 10,000 or 12,000 miles with no issues, hardly even know that is back there. I would expect te Quantum to pull in the same manner.

I would not hesitate to spend the extra cash to buy another Bushtec if I ever need to replace the Roadstar.

Bushtecs are pricey, no aurgument there. I have a Bushtec Roadstar I pulled with my 98 Tour Classic and now pull with my Venture. I have pulled it for probably 10,000 or 12,000 miles with no issues, hardly even know that is back there. I would expect te Quantum to pull in the same manner.

I would not hesitate to spend the extra cash to buy another Bushtec if I ever need to replace the Roadstar.

Edgewater isn't that far, I'll stop by so you can pull the Rover By Matrix

One of the things that I find "intriguing" is the coupling system.

Bushtec uses soemthing called a Heim joint (captured ball). Net effect of this I hear, is that the ball can swivel latitudnally and longitudinally.

M61A1MECH - does that type of hitch work well? Do you have any likes or dislikes?

I have the Bushtec Roadstar also. Click on my photo gallery for pics. The Heim hitch works great. I'm not sure what you mean by "swivel latitudnally and longitudinally". It does swivel though. The best thing about it for me is that the tolerances are tight enough between the coupler and the pin that there is no rattling at all.

The thing that I really like is the suspension. This trailer will not bounce around regardess of how light it is loaded. Even if it is completely empty, it will not bounce and that is not true of most trailers.

There is just nothing about the trailer that I can criticize. It is very well made and the hitch coupler and suspension and very well done. Bushtec also does a great job on the paint if you get it custom matched.

One of the things that I find "intriguing" is the coupling system.

Bushtec uses soemthing called a Heim joint (captured ball). Net effect of this I hear, is that the ball can swivel latitudnally and longitudinally.

M61A1MECH - does that type of hitch work well? Do you have any likes or dislikes?

Walt

There are two things I really like about the hitch.

1) Bustech made it using the same piece that Yamaha uses to span between the left and right lower saddle bag support. So it can be bolted on in place of the original spanner.

2) If you take the locking ball off and do as I did and cover the pin with a black plastic cap it is noticable but not obtrusive.

If you run with the locking ball on and no trailer it will rattle.

I have never run a bike trailer with anything else so I do not have any idea if it is better or worse, but it works very well.

I think Bushtec makes a recieve type set up for the Goldwing, I havee not been to their web site in a long time , I am not sure if they offer a reciever for any other set ups. just incase you wanted to find a way to eliminate the pin when not running with the trailer.

Thanks for the data. I like to do my homework before I buy. I don't mind spending $$ for quality stuff! Spending $$$$$ is a little harder to do!

Brake Pad & M61A1MECH - if you guys decide to meet and do a "trailer show & tell", shoot me a PM! I'd make a trip to see BOTH of the trailers. Maybe a M&E&TS&T (meet & eat & trailer show and tell)?

I have the Bushtec Roadstar also. Click on my photo gallery for pics.

Wow, Your trailer is half the size as mine. Check my pics, the trailer comes to the lower part of the trunk

I don't know if it's half the size but I know that it's plenty large. My wife can load it so that it weighs as much as I really want to pull.

As for the hitches. Bushtec doesn't make a receiver hitch for the Venture but they sell just the pin that you can use on any hitch. It just replaces the ball. I do have the Bushtec hitch on my RSV but if you want a receiver type hitch, you can just buy the Khromewerks hitch or the Venture Dad hitch or even the hidden hitch from Diamond R Accessories and then get just the pin from Bushtec.

Thanks for the data. I like to do my homework before I buy. I don't mind spending $$ for quality stuff! Spending $$$$$ is a little harder to do!

Brake Pad & M61A1MECH - if you guys decide to meet and do a "trailer show & tell", shoot me a PM! I'd make a trip to see BOTH of the trailers. Maybe a M&E&TS&T (meet & eat & trailer show and tell)?

Hey Walt

You are like mid way between Brake Pad and me, well closer to me by a little bit, we could meet in Rockledge and you could buy us lunch ;-).

Brake Pad

Yeah, I knew that, I did say it was a bit closer for me. :-0

I am up for lunch, if we need to find a location closer to a mid point, like Vero or Ft Pierce that would be fine.

I am tied up on on the first of November for a benifit ride.

Either one of you Know any good places in Vero or Ft Pierce.

Lets set a time and a place.

• 1 year later...
I personally think that Bushtec makes the best trailer on the market for motorcycles. I don't know specifically about the Quantum but I'm sure it's quality is on par with their other models. Some here will argue that spending that much money on a trailer is crazy. I say that if you have the money and that is the one that rings your bell, then go for it. A lot of people spend money on things that I wouldn't and I'm sure some think that I do the same. It's a matter of what YOU want.

Freebird,

Does the Bushtec pin hitch just slide into the Yamaha receiver like a ball hitch would??

Johnny Canuck

I have two Bushtec hitches. One on the '91 that the PO welded a square receiver to under the tang, and the other that came off Texaskid's '89 that he didn't have any need for. I called Bushtec to see about picking up a ball for the pin. They no longer support either style hitch.

I don't know about supporting those hitches but I'm pretty sure that they still sell the pin to replace a standard ball. Probably best to just contact them directly to be sure.

http://www.bushtec.com/contact.html

I do know that Bushtec is under new ownership. When I contacted Andrew Preston last year about buying a trailer for our grand prize, he told me that the Preston family had sold the company but he has stayed on as general manager.

I also bought the Bushtec RoadStar and pulled in on a 6500 mile vacation this past summer. - I had to adjust my mirrors to remind me it was there!

I had it up to around 100mph at one point and I still couldn't tell it was there. (I know, NOT Smart).

My wife loaded it pretty full and we carried our Full Leathers.

I can't say enough about it.

To me it was worth every penny.

The only down side, is storing the bugger.

craigr

I don't know about supporting those hitches but I'm pretty sure that they still sell the pin to replace a standard ball. Probably best to just contact them directly to be sure.

http://www.bushtec.com/contact.html

I do know that Bushtec is under new ownership. When I contacted Andrew Preston last year about buying a trailer for our grand prize, he told me that the Preston family had sold the company but he has stayed on as general manager.

I did. Talked to them personally and they couldn't...or wouldn't offer any help or advice.... Nice beefy hitch, I'll figure something out. :)

I have a 2002 Roadstar trailer and pull behind my 07 Venture. The bigger 16 inch wheels and suspenion is well worth it to me. Some will tell ya they are to much money but if can afford the extra go for it. I bought mine used and could sell it with not much trouble for the money i have in it. I my opinion it is the best on the market. I dont want to offend any one else by that opinion but be sure of one thing it is a darn good trailer. Chris

Just a little personal thinking on MC trailers, and one of the things Bushtec has that others lack. One of my pet peeves is that a lot of MC manufacturers don't build the bottom deep enough. I've seen quite a few trailer boxes designed so that the top lid and bottom are split equally with a shallow bottom load area. Even the Piggy is built that way. Now if I wanted to load things in there that wouldn't fall out everytime the lid is opened I'd want a deeper bottom with just a top cap type lid, and load that sucker up. The Bushtec is deep. That diamond plate aluminum trailer is built deep. A lot of the others aren't. So IMHO it might be something to look for when shopping for a trailer....