IGNORED

2008 rsv chirping

My 08 rsv has 950 miles and it has started to chirp at highway speed (60 mph plus). At the same time it vibrates like it has a dead miss. This condition is not constant but will come and go during a long ride. If I stop to rest (15 mins or so), the bike will run great for the next 15 to 20 miles before the chirp and vibration comes back. My fuel mileage so far averages between 35 to 38 mpg. I did the breakin sevice myself at 600 miles and refilled bike with mobil synthetic 10w40 motorcycle oil. Can any one tell me how to kill this criket on steroids? :think:

No gear whine so far.

:325:

Same here at 850 miles now I did not reach 55 to 60 MPH until after about 40 miles and yes sir I too have the CHIRP.

I think it sounds like "Peepers / Frogs" on a warm summer night driving around the swamps or lowlands.

Dealer did "acknowledge" (test drive by mechanic) the Chirp at 600mi service too. I told him I could live with it as long as it does not get louder.

FYI: I had the Chirp with OEM Factory Oil and Final Gear Oil. Changed to Rotella 5w-40 SYN and 75w-90 SYN at 600miles and still the same CHIRP not quieter not louder, same noise level 4 me.

Edited by frogmaster
Added Oil Change Info...

i meet a guy from IL a month ago and he has a 08 with the same problems. shakes and vibrates and he mentioned the chirp as well he also said that it lackes the power that he thought it should have gives it the throtle and it falls on its face i told him to take it back to the stealer to have it checked out have'nt heard back from him yet.

i have almost 9000 miles on my 08 venture. the differential had a bad housing. one of the bearings was loose and moving around. i also have the buzz in the floor boards and handle bars. it has been there since about 1000 miles. it is so bad the right mirror is blurry all the time. it is definitely rpm related. it will do it in each gear as you pass through an rpm band going up and down through the gears. have the dealer check for any loose bearings. the oil was less than 1500 miles old and it was burnt. i use 75w90 synthetic. the same oil we use in

600 horse truck differentials. so it was not an oil problem. my dealer contacted tech support, they told him there was a problem with some of the differentials not getting cleaned properly after final machining that caused improper lash set up. they found the loose housing in the process of checking it out. they replaced the complete differential.

I have an 08 with 4,100 miles on it. I noticed after my 2nd oil change my chirp has quieted down a bit...I do not use synthethic and was told NOT to at this point because it doesn't have enough miles on it. You might want to switch to a non-synthetic oil.

You will need to pay attention to the rear end noise, mine is in shop now getting worked on. It is a creaking noise that Yamaha issued a bulletin on and it has to do with a few plates and such not seating exactly flat. Also, the rear hub pins and splines will need to be greased too....you can tell if that is needed when you hear a clicking noise coming from the rear when you are walking in backwards.

The last thing I have noticed, that seems to be fixed now is the audio controls stop working. I do have the vibration from the rear, sounds like the right rear saddle bag to me and the right mirror vibrates pretty good. Other than that.....:mo money:

I had a local dealer in Ft. Smith, AR check out my RSV. He said the carbs were out of sync and it was running way too lean. He thinks that it was suffering from a lean miss when the engine was hot. My bike runs and sounds a lot smoother now. I did still notice a slight chirp but only when the engine was very warm after a long hard hill climb. :thumbsup2:

Thanks for all of the replies.

I have a 08 and I dont have the vibration but I do have a clicking in the rear when I shift like a u joint but was told that I need to shift faster and stop babying it basicly. I do have the whine but im hard of hearing from being in a bodyshop for to many years so it doesnt bother me that much i guess. The only thing I dont like is when I get on it it acts like its starving for air or something but they said thats the way these bikes are and the tech rode a few others and they all are that way, I havent rode any others so I dont know.Kevin

With all the previous and current problems with the Venture, I wonder if the molds and machinery for manufacturing are getting old and wearing out? There seems to be a high number of bad cases, drives, etc, and the whine/chirp/etc seems to be getting worse per bike than better.

Yamaha needs to address this issue, as it will really hurt them. Probably already is.

Certainly doesn't make me want to consider trading for a newer Yamaha.