IGNORED

First short "trip"...some observations

I took it for about a 300 mile trip over the weekend. The trip out was 2-lane 65mph with short stops/traffic lights in small towns every 10-15 miles, return trip 100% interstate, set the cruise doing about 82mph indicated. Very comfortable and enjoyable ride. Got 34mpg for the trip, seems kind of low to me compared to my old ride (an ST1100 that I could get 45+mpg with 2 up, fully loaded side bags), but nowhere near as comfortabel of a ride.

I had posted an earlier thread about vibration at roll-on and while the engine is smoother at higher revs, it still feel it feels mostly like there is a "miss" or "roughness" there, just at a higher RPM so not quite as noticeable. Seems to have plenty of power so am doubting that it is actually missing, but even at 80MPH indicated, you still get some vibration when pulling power or load in OD. The PO said he had synced the carbs but I probably will want to double check that. I probably should have driven another one or two before I finalized the deal on this one just to make sure I understood the characteristics of the motor and to make sure it is acting like it should. I poured some seafoam in it this evening and when it stops raining in a couple of days I'll ride her a bit. I will also start looking around on it a bit, check the spark plugs (which the PO said he changed as well), etc.

Before I get in too deep on looking at it I suppose I should get someone's thought as to whether or not there really is a problem or just the nature of the beast and I shouldn't be concerned. If anyone is in the Kansas City area has one of these engines and would have a few minutes this coming weekend to take a look/listen and see if it is the just the normal operating characteristics and I need not be concerned, I would sure appreciate it. Assuming the weather is reasonable, I could probably meet someone just about anywhere in the Kansas City-Lawrence area. Thanks guys.

Been following your plight with this, and frankly I'm surprised at the lack of info offered to you here. I rode to work today and with your post on my mind I did some roll on tests too, all were done in 5th gear, 2k rpm start, there was a bit of jerk-jerk almost like you could feel the cylinders firing. Leveled off at 3500, roll on again and it was smooth as silk to 4500. leveled off again, hit it from there, smooth as silk to 6k. That is when I realized I missed my exit so I slowed down considerably. If it doesn't rain I'll do some more testing for you(wink-wink). There may be a bit of difference because mine is an 86 but basically it is the same engine. I'm thinking that next opportunity you get that maybe you should do a compression test and see if all is even in the holes.

That's funny, I did the same on my way to work this morning. I hardly ever get into 5th unless I'm going a ways, but on the interstate I got up to 80 in 5th and rolled on the throttle . I could definitely feel the "miss".

I knew just what you were talking about because I test rode 3 different RSTD looking for one without the whine so many of them seem to have. When I first rode one I thought it had a miss. It was so different from the V-Twin I had. I don't notice it anymore because I've changed my style of riding. I wouldn't worry about it. I think it's just the nature of them.

I thought when I got mine it ran like it had a miss or was trying to breath and starving for air almost. I was told that that is normal on these bikes by service, they did sync the carbs and that did help alot but I still feel what you are saying all the time and I do notice that if I dont give it the revs and take it easy she does it more when you do hit it and go from a lower rev to a higher if that makes sence.

You're definately lugging the Engine. The 2Gen Gears in 4th and 5th Gear is waaaay overdriven.

Of course, the can be minor mechanical Issues, but other than a non synchronized Carb-Set, i can't imagine something else wrong with your Bike. Stay away from the low Revs and you'll be fine. These low Revs and the Roll-On Load don't do anything good on the Crankshaft Bearings in the long Term. You should at least have 3200 before letting the Beast pull onto full Throttle.

Plain said, let that Beast fly and you'll be fine. I've redden two ST1100 and there is no Way that the Honda has the Kind of Power a Venture will deliver just above Idle, but that's where where you're riding it. The ST1100 would buck and stall the Engine.

Just want to make sure I understand. Obviously, mine is bone stock so I don't have a tach to know where my RPM's are sitting. What I'm hearing you guys say is that it sounds like mine is pretty normal. I've been shifting into 2nd at around 25mph, 3rd around 45mph, 4th around 60 and 5th when I level out anywhere above 65. So you are saying that at 80mph in 5th is still two low on RPM's to roll on the power very hard? That's fine, just getting used to the beast and make sure I don't have a serious issue.

Just want to make sure I understand. Obviously, mine is bone stock so I don't have a tach to know where my RPM's are sitting. What I'm hearing you guys say is that it sounds like mine is pretty normal. I've been shifting into 2nd at around 25mph, 3rd around 45mph, 4th around 60 and 5th when I level out anywhere above 65. So you are saying that at 80mph in 5th is still two low on RPM's to roll on the power very hard? That's fine, just getting used to the beast and make sure I don't have a serious issue.

see if a member in your area has a carb tune and at least check them after you run that seafoam out. and yes 80mph in 5th will still jug a little these bikes will do 70 in 2nd I'm not saying do it but you have a rev limit. these bikes do take some getting use to and if you are luging it will hurt your MPG. :2cents:

I know how you feel, mp66226. I'm a V-Twin rider since 1976 so it takes some getting used to. I still lug my Venture. And when I do it feels like it's firing on 2 almost. But if you spin it on up it smooths out and feels good. Someone on here says he ran one leg of an interstate trip in 4th to see what would happen. It got just as good fuel mileage.

I have a Road Star also and even the guys on that forum say run it to the rev limiter and don't worry. I guess Yamis like to spin!