It's been a while since I've been stumped, but I am right now. I am working on Dave Pankows '86 and for some reason I dont have the headlight working now and it worked when he pulled into the driveway. I have replaced the fuse block with one of the upgrades to push type spades. I have done half a dozen of better of these with no issues. Everything appears to be working normally on the fuse block as I have tested to make sure of power from one side through the fuse to the other lead side.

The bike starts and runs all the lights work, signals, emergency flashers, running lights, but no headlight. It's a new bulb as I checked it and the filaments are good, I just have no power to the switch. Now mind you that I am not good with chasing wires from a diagram. I have a repair manual but it might as well be in swahelie as far as understanding wire diagrams. I'm not sure if I have to have all the electronics hooked back up for the headlight to work. I dont think so, but I've been wrong before :confused24:

If some of you electrical types could help this dumb welder out I would appreciate it :)

BTW: I am looking for the headlight assy for this '86 also as Mr. Butterfingers dropped it and broke the front glass out :bawling:

I read here a while back about a member that had the same problem....it wound up being the hi-low beam switch...try giving the switch a shot of electrical cleaner then go back and forth with the switch several times...hi-low-hi-low etc..

I had that problem with my 87 it was the start button switch, just sprayed some contact cleaner in there and worked it a few times and all was well. If it doesnt pop all the wall back out after you depress it to start, pull it out with your fingernail, WOW I cant believe I am giving YOU mechanical advise:yikes: Craig

Thanks Fellas...

I will get with Dave and take the switches apart, it just seems strange that it was all of a sudden that it didn't work. I did play with the Hi beam switch and rock it back and forth, but perhaps it is something in there or the starter switch. I didn't want to take them apart today as he was coming to pick it up today.

Craig,

Brother you give me way too much credit, I'm only knowledgeable on the things I have broke and had to fix. I'm not real strong with electrical, and there will always be someone here on this site that will be able to teach me something....and it might be you

:)

I'll let y'all know what it actually turns out to be when we get it figured out :happy34:

Brad just picked up contact cleaner getting ready to pull switches apart now my starter button is sticky also no dash lights got it all apart now looking for broken and bad connections:fingers-crossed-emo

Sounds good Bud, I'm confident that it will turn out to be something stupid

:happy34:

Hi folks,

I had the hi-lo switch problem bobcat mentioned but I also opened the starter switch housing. Pay close attention to how the wiring is routed in that box - can be a devil to put back together as there isn't any "extra" room in there.

Guest tessa c2

have the same problem with mine, and it is the starter button switch, just play with it with your thumb, was going to replace that little box under the faring and when i had phoned to order the part the parts lady told me to check the starter button, and sur enough that is it,:moon: