I know this has been discussed ad nausium, but here we go again. Which screw on filter fits the 1stGen screw on oil adapter. There's a FRAM on the '91 now, but the writing and stock number are gone. Why? Donno...?? The only thing I can think of is it's been on there for a very very long time. I haven't changed the oil in it since I picked it up... but then again I haven't taken it anywhere either.. :) I thought I'd try putting MC specific motor oil in it to see if that will cure the leak. From what I can see it looks like it's coming from around the back of the pan gasket. I also found traces of silicon around the drain plug as if the PO thought that might have been the source of the leak?? And ...he may have put a synthetic in the motor?? It worth a shot to see if it'll work. Anyway, again, what's the filter number. Anyone?? If that doesn't work I'll be taking it over to a tech. Getting too old to be crawling around on my back. A chair is a good thing... :) :backinmyday:

heres the info I got with the adapter i bought a few days ago from Huntington in Canada

Thanks for bidding on this product. This unit will allow the use of several spin-on oil filters on your Yamaha Venture. Installation is simple: remove the original filter canister. Make sure there is nothing inside the center tube of the adapter that might get into the engine. Make sure the adapter’s o-ring is in place. Then spin the adapter into the hole for the original bolt. The best way to tighten the filter is with a pin -wrench such as used to install the disc on a disc-grinder. Otherwise place a pin, punch, or philips screw- driver into one of the holes and use a large flat screw-driver or other bar type tool to turn the adapter. ( see illustration) BE SURE TO PROTECT THE THREADS DURING THIS PROCESS. Tighten till you have firm metal to metal contact with the engine. About 20 ft-lb of torque should do. DONT OVER DO IT, ALUMINUM THREADS ARE SOFT, AND YOURS HAVE BEEN USED FOR A LONG TIME. BE CAREFUL NOT TO SCRATCH THE FILTER SEATING SURFACE. Then screw in one of the following filters: Fram numbers are used for reference, any equivalent brand will work. Fram ph2951, ph3600, ph3614, or ph2870a, ph4967. K&N HP1001, 1002 or 1003. I use the 3614. Quaker state numbers are the same as Fram. NOTE: Goldwing 1500 filters will screw onto the adapter, but are a sloppy fit and will likely strip causing catastrophic leakage. DO NOT USE HONDA FILTERS!!!!!!

Note: Some filters come with teflon additive inside. This may be OK for automobiles but the Goldwing has a wet clutch. Teflon may cause clutch slippage.

TIP: Clean all oil off the engine where the o-ring will seat. Do not lubricate the o-ring. You want the adapter to stick. DO lube the oil filter seal ring, you want to get it off again.

this adapter is designed for filters with a ¾-16 thread, and a seal outer diameter of 3 inches or less, Inside diameter of the seal ring should not be less than 1.85 inches.

Any of the filters on the front page will fit, as well as many others.

Since the Fram 3614 seems most commonly available (in North America) I have recommended it for that reason, as it is a suitable size for the purpose.

The Fram 3614 or its equivalent in other brands, (take your pick) is used by Chrysler, GM, Toyota , Suzuki and Saab as well as other Automobile manufacturers. For your convenience you may ask for a filter for

Chevrolet Metro 1.0 or 1.3 litre

1999 Pontiac Firefly

Chrysler

2000 Chrysler Cyrrus 2.4L

1989 Daytona 2.5 or 2.5

1990 Daytona 3L

1989 LeBaron 2.2 or 2.5

2003 PT Cruiser

1990 Dodge Caravan

1995 Neon

1998 Saab 2.0 litre

Toyota

1992-2005 Camry 3.0

2002 Celica 1.8

2007 Highlander

1987-1995 Pickup

1998-2007 Sienna

1995-2007 Tacoma

Note: A filter with a 20mm thread will go on this adapter, but the threads engage by a mere .012 inch (0.3 mm) or less. It is likely that the threads will strip allowing the filter to become loose, resulting in rapid loss of oil. This includes the Goldwing 1500 filter, and likely any “Motorcycle filter”. I believe most motorcycle filters have metric threads.

DO NOT USE FILTERS WITH 20MM THREADS!!!

More filters with ¾-16 thread:

ACDelco #PF1233

AMSOil SMF 122 / 133/134c/135/108 (134c is chrome plated)

Baldwin BT223, Baldwin B1413, Bosch 3330 EMGO 10-26740

Fram PH6022, PH6065A, PH6016, PH6063

Hastings LF576, LF157, LF134

K&N KN-171C , Mobil1 M1-102, NAPA 1348

Purolator ML16822, L10241 , L20064, PL25230, L14610, L14612

Hi-Flo # HF170C (chrome plated)

Brian

Where do you find an adapter?

the company I bought mine from are in Canada so your shipping and taxes would be different but mine was 75 bucks all shipping and taxes included. The fellows name is Bob Hagerman with Huntingdon Technical. they didnt have any adapters made when i wrote him , but in 2 days he did up a couple and had them on the way. He will send you diagrams and pics if you ask. Very nice guy to deal with so far.

huntech2006@yahoo.ca

Brian

Here in the US we have Rivco adapters for 1stGens, and I see where they have theirs on sale. Not too bad a price. I ordered one for my parts bin just because. The shipping is $12.50 in the US via UPS. So the total come to right around $72 bucks. Just about the same as the Canadian model for those north of the boarder. I also answered my original question about filter size when I read the details. Duh!! Fram 3950. I also see where the Canadian model lists a different Fram filter for theirs and I wonder if there is a difference in the size??

RIVCO

http://www.rivcoproducts.com/products/images/T/YF01_sw.jpg
See details

Yamaha Spin-On Filter Adapter
SKU: YF-01

This spin-on oil filter adapter is engineered to replace your existing OEM filter.

Market price: $99.95
Our price: $59.95 save 40%
Quantity

http://www.rivcoproducts.com/products/skin1/images/but1.gifBuy Nowhttp://www.rivcoproducts.com/products/skin1/images/but2.gif
http://www.rivcoproducts.com/products/skin1/images/but1.gifAdd to wish listhttp://www.rivcoproducts.com/products/skin1/images/but2.gif

Edited by Condor