IGNORED

Time for new tires. I need some advice.

I would like to get some input from our members as it is almost time to replace the tires on my 07 venture. The originals are on it. Dunlop D404's. I have 13000 miles on them now and will likely get another 1000 or so. This is my second bike. The V star I had before this had Dunlops D404's on it as well so I dont really have anything to compare to. I have read a number of threads and it seems that alot of members like the Avons. I also read that there are different types of Avon's that should be considered. So here are my questions.

1. What are the advantages of the Avons over the Dunlops?
  2. Do the Avons tend to get more treadwear than the Dunlops?
  3. Which Avon is the best one to consider?
  4. Are there any other tire brands I should be considering?
  5. Where is a good place on line to purchase?

Thanks in advance for your input. Jim :scratchchin:

Not sure of the advantages as I have pretty much ran Dunlops and I like the White walls. From what I hear the grooved highways are much easier with Avons. Seems like the Avons in general last a little longer but this of course depends on the rider.

Michelin's are used by a few others who like them. I think the tread design is very similar to Dunlops. South West Moto has a very good reputation and I have purchased a couple sets from them without a problem.

Good luck with your decision

Brad

I've been running Dunlops. I don't get outstanding milage out of them but they perform well. I just put a set on last week and decided to try nitrogen. Supposed to improve the life of the tire and the pressure will stay the same no matter what the temp. is. Also holds pressure longer without having to 'top off' with air. Time will tell:smile5:

Stick with the dunlops. They are the best performing tires for your bike. I have tried several tires on my RSTD and these are the best for the bike in terms of performance.

I don't fault you for your personal opinion - I am sure that is what your experience has been. But my view is a little different. I have ridden on the Dunlop 404s, and I find them just an average tire, about typical for an OEM selection and far superior to the other OEM option (the terrible Bridgestones). But in my opinion, the Avon Venoms are vastly superior on the RSV in both handling and wear. :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

Ditto on what goose said. MY opinion is stay with the ORIGINAL sizes Front and Back,and The Avons are front AM41,Rear AM42. I have no problems with the Dunlops other than on grooved highways they make my rearend,(Mine),pinch the seat as they follow EVERY groove. The Avons you can literally let go of the bars and it will track straight thru the grooves. I had a set of Metz..DONT DO IT! Mine started chunking rubber at 1700 miles,DANGEROUS! Tom

Thanks for the advice. I still need a bit more help.

I've decided to go with the Venons from Southwest Moto. From what I can tell they offer two rear tires. 150/90VB-15 and 150/90HB-15. What is the difference between the V and H? Is it speed rating? Which one will wear better?

There is only one option for the front. 150/80HB-16.

Are these the ones to replace the D404's.

I noticed on Avons website there are Venom and Venom-X. One is Bias the other Radial I think. Southwest does not offer Venom-X from what I can tell. Are the original Dunlop 404's I have bias or radial. Which one do I want for a 2007 Venture. Lots of questions I know. Thanks Jim

I have the Venoms with about 5,000 miles on them. Barely any sign of wear. The one recommendation I have is to downsize your front tire by one size to:130x90x16. The maneuverability is significantly improved at slower speeds. SW Moto provides great service, fast shipping and excellent value.