IGNORED

Emissions Testing

Guest dogstyle

Guest dogstyle

Anyone know any tricks to pass the emissions testing? My 1986 Venture just failed the hydrocarbons test, but passed the carbon monoxide test. It is blowing a little oil out the tailpipe. Thanks,

Anyone know any tricks to pass the emissions testing? My 1986 Venture just failed the hydrocarbons test, but passed the carbon monoxide test. It is blowing a little oil out the tailpipe. Thanks,

Their testing a motorcycle that old? The bikes back then were never tested, I would think it should only need to meet a safety inspection.

If its blowing oil out the tail pipe chances of passing an emission test are slim to none. How much oil is it burning? You may try installing hotter plug and run it hard have the engine and exhaust hot and try to get it tested before it cools.

If its blowing oil out the tail pipe chances of passing an emission test are slim to none. How much oil is it burning? You may try installing hotter plug and run it hard have the engine and exhaust hot and try to get it tested before it cools.

That's a good Advice !

I'm just curious, what Dimensions are the Limits on the Tests ?

What Kind of Gases are to be Tested ?

Guest dogstyle

My luck to live the the only city still doing emissions testing! The test report shows the following: "First Idle Reading" = 2773, "Precond Reading" = 1501, "Precond Standard" = 500, "Final Reading" = 1988, "Idle Standard" = 1800. Anyone interested in a 1986 Venture for $1500.00, because I am probably going to move up to something newer. Thanks for all the responces. Clint

My luck to live the the only city still doing emissions testing! The test report shows the following: "First Idle Reading" = 2773, "Precond Reading" = 1501, "Precond Standard" = 500, "Final Reading" = 1988, "Idle Standard" = 1800. Anyone interested in a 1986 Venture for $1500.00, because I am probably going to move up to something newer. Thanks for all the responces. Clint

I would try synthetic 20w50, maybe Mobil 1 Motorcyle oil, or Amsoil motorcyle oil. Also, make sure the carbs are sync'ed very well. As a last resort, remove the air filter element (just for the test) but leave the airbox cover on...in other words, stock airbox with no filter in it. Then put the filter element back in after the test. The synthetic oil 20w50 should be what you use in Phoenix in the summer anyhow.

Don't they have a limit on how much you spend for emmissions repairs, then they give you a waiver. (They used to when I lived in Tucson many years ago).

Hydrocarbons are unburned gas. It's running way rich. Close your idle screws down to around 1 1/2 turns out and that will surely pass your idle tests. I don't know what RPM's that they check your off idle at but lean that area by dropping your needle a notch and going to a lower main if needed. The easiest way to pass though is to change the address on your title to someplace outside of the city.

Dick

Other than burning a little oil, how does the bike run? Does everything work? Let me know, I might be interested.

RR

Other than burning a little oil, how does the bike run? Does everything work? Let me know, I might be interested.

RR

oh no!!!!!

mike , don't tell me you're gonna start "scrappin'" first gens, too!

i might just park mine. won't be long ,i'll have the ONLY first gen ,on the block!

:stirthepot::stirthepot:

just jt