IGNORED

1st Gen MkI vs MkII

My question for you hardcore knowledge guys. What makes the 83-85 faster? I'm looking at the carbs the only difference I know of 83 carbs had 42.5 pilot jets a 180 air jets all the rest of the years have 84-93 have 37.5 pilots and 170 air jets. So does that mean 84-85 are slower the 86-93? I read something about possible hotter cam. Slightly lighter weight 83-85 then 86-93. 86-93 has 100 more CC's. So whats the deal?

(I put the original pilot and air jets in my 90 from 83 I gotta say I like it no more popping actually get a noticeable rpm change when adjusting pilot mixtures.)

Well im not so sure they are faster.(this will get Dan going good LOL)

A buddy of mine had a 83 and i had a 94 dr650 at the time, i had no problem getting him in the 1/4 mile with the 650. a few years later he got a 89 1300 venture.I could get him out of the hole but that was it, so im not sure if the 83 wasnt tuned good or what?

After the 1/4 the 83 would come around me like is wasnt moving at all.I think we need to head down to the strip and find out.:witch_brew:

Well im not so sure they are faster.(this will get Dan going good LOL)

A buddy of mine had a 83 and i had a 94 dr650 at the time, i had no problem getting him in the 1/4 mile with the 650. a few years later he got a 89 1300 venture.I could get him out of the hole but that was it, so im not sure if the 83 wasnt tuned good or what?

After the 1/4 the 83 would come around me like is wasnt moving at all.I think we need to head down to the strip and find out.:witch_brew:

Theres really nothing to tune except good plugs and wires maybe.

It's a well know fact, and for safety's sake, does not need to be proven again, but if you must, you will discover that the older the bird, the faster she flies. Colour does have something to do with it at times, but it's the color of the scoot, not the rider, or the adornment of the rider. Rider mass may also have a slight impact, although skill will play a major role in the ulimate outcome. This has all been discovered by all those who have riden Ventures and other scoots in the past,,much to the dismay of the 'other' riders. There is no doubt in my mind that such a endeavor will once agian be attempted in the future that lies ahead, and that one day, some lucky rider will find him, or herself with a Venture on their tail rather than in their forward sight line,,, but then that will mostly likely be attributed to a low tire, poor grip on the pavement, bad treads or maybe even a low battery.

Marcarl, You are so right. Holding the tack at 6000 plus, dumping the clutch from a standstill and trying to keep these 800 pound beasts in a straight line without letting off the throttle is only accomplished by a very skilled Venture rider and one with a very high level of testosterone. I've been on these bikes since 86 and it still scares the hell out of me and cannot accomplish the above feat successfully very often. (But I do give it hell once in awhile).

It's a well know fact, and for safety's sake, does not need to be proven again, but if you must, you will discover that the older the bird, the faster she flies. Colour does have something to do with it at times, but it's the color of the scoot, not the rider, or the adornment of the rider. Rider mass may also have a slight impact, although skill will play a major role in the ulimate outcome. This has all been discovered by all those who have riden Ventures and other scoots in the past,,much to the dismay of the 'other' riders. There is no doubt in my mind that such a endeavor will once agian be attempted in the future that lies ahead, and that one day, some lucky rider will find him, or herself with a Venture on their tail rather than in their forward sight line,,, but then that will mostly likely be attributed to a low tire, poor grip on the pavement, bad treads or maybe even a low battery.

What did you say ?:think:

Marcarl, You are so right. Holding the tack at 6000 plus, dumping the clutch from a standstill and trying to keep these 800 pound beasts in a straight line without letting off the throttle is only accomplished by a very skilled Venture rider and one with a very high level of testosterone. I've been on these bikes since 86 and it still scares the hell out of me and cannot accomplish the above feat successfully very often. (But I do give it hell once in awhile).

So what happens when you do that unsuccessfully? :yikes: :yikes: :yikes:

My question for you hardcore knowledge guys. What makes the 83-85 faster? I'm looking at the carbs the only difference I know of 83 carbs had 42.5 pilot jets a 180 air jets all the rest of the years have 84-93 have 37.5 pilots and 170 air jets. So does that mean 84-85 are slower the 86-93? I read something about possible hotter cam. Slightly lighter weight 83-85 then 86-93. 86-93 has 100 more CC's. So whats the deal?

(I put the original pilot and air jets in my 90 from 83 I gotta say I like it no more popping actually get a noticeable rpm change when adjusting pilot mixtures.)

The Difference in the Air Jets is because of different Lifter Hole Borings in the Sliders and different Springs. The PAJ#1(Carb Throat) is the basic Air Jet for Idle and Above Circuit.

The PAJ#2 (behind the Diaphragm) is adjusting the opening Speed of the Slider. When i work on Vmax Carbs, i often make them smaller(stock is 170, i make them 150 or 147.5) this gives a better(faster) Throttle Response. But this will cost you Fuel when your riding with a nervous Wrist or in town Traffic.

There sure is more Difference between the Jet Needles and Needle Jet. We discussed this in Greg's Thread about his bad Mileage.

I'm not sure, but I'm thinking that he compression ratio is a tad higher on the 1200cc engines than on the 1300cc...

When you try to lift the front?????????the compression is defiantly higher on the 1200, makes them cheeks pucker so tight there ain't no squeeze left. Talk about compression,,,,,,,WOW.

The Difference in the Air Jets is because of different Lifter Hole Borings in the Sliders and different Springs. The PAJ#1(Carb Throat) is the basic Air Jet for Idle and Above Circuit.

The PAJ#2 (behind the Diaphragm) is adjusting the opening Speed of the Slider. When i work on Vmax Carbs, i often make them smaller(stock is 170, i make them 150 or 147.5) this gives a better(faster) Throttle Response. But this will cost you Fuel when your riding with a nervous Wrist or in town Traffic.

There sure is more Difference between the Jet Needles and Needle Jet. We discussed this in Greg's Thread about his bad Mileage.

Thanks Squeeze could you describe all the carb jets and thier various functions and how size changes what.

Jim,

i'm sorry, but there are so much Subsystems in our CV Carbs, i can't describe them all and their Influence in Combination on the Mixture Buildup. There are a Lot Articles already on the Internet and in a Lot of better English than i can offer you.

But i'd be happy to offer you my Knowledge and Experience if you ask a specific Question.

Edited by Squeeze

(Quick check for asbestos skivvies.)

The history section on this very board says that the compression ratios between the MkI and MkII are the same, as well as the all the various gear ratios between the crankshaft and the rear wheel. Y's parts website shows that the cams are the same thing. Quite frankly I think that this MkI being the fastest bit is nothing more than an old wives tale. There's no reason for it whatsoever in the bikes themselves that I've been able to find. And they have 100ccs less besides. The only real reason can be rider skill in launching. And I will not claim to have the skill it takes to make a bike perform its absolute best in an all out drag race.

While we're at it, the only reason that 1st gens are any faster than 2nd gens, IF they are actually any faster at all, is the gear ratios in the transmission. 1st gens are geared like a V Max in the transmission. The 2nd gen transmission gear ratios are too far apart and 5th gear is too high. Actually 1st gear is virtually the same thing. Every gear after that is progressively more and more too high. But rider skill is still the biggest variable between the two.

Let the flaming begin.

I have been toying with the idea of letting a person I know who DOES drag race bikes take the bike down the track (after a carbtune, synch and new plugs), just to see whats up. My 51 year old brain KNOWS when to let someone else handle the heat!!!! I WILL post the ticket online if I ever do it........

Now, 30 years ago, it would have already been done!!! 77 H2-750 Kawi was my first bike..........

Dan