IGNORED

2005 Rebuild questions

Hi everyone! I'm fixing up an 05' tour deluxe I just bought but it has some serious issues that I could use some advice on.

#1 As you can see from the pic it has been laid down pretty bad and the right side has sustained a lot of damage. I have both cowlings on order and the vacuum pump was smashed so its comming also. I took off both saddle bags because the right one is so bad it can't be fixed. I don't have the $$$$ bling to buy a new one this year so I am trying to decide if i should go with some leather bags for now or just leave them off altogether for a while. (I think it needs something) Do you guys have a line on any used stock bags? My nephew works at a dealership a few hours away so I get screaming good deals on OEM stuff if I order through him but they evidently don't sell just the tub. (they sell every other part separately of course)

#2 As mentioned above the vacuum pump is on order and I have been tooling around town without it but the bike runs like crap above 3rd gear. Does the pump missing have any connection to pour performance (I assumed it is just for the cruise control)? Symptoms are: 1st and 2nd seem fine but start getting a little blubbery in 3rd but when you get into 4th gear and 5th it won't accelerate well and sounds like it is missing or completely bogging out. I pulled the carbs and went through each bowl trying to make sure there wasn' a bunch of crapolla in there but they weren't that bad. Still runs bad. I should have the vacuum pump next week and I figure if it is still crapping out after I get it back together then it will have to make a trip to the dealer.

Any help on either question would be appreciated.

Goose... just wondering what you "stole" the scoot for ($$$)? I am looking at a 2005 RSMV that has been dumped ... has quite a bit of damage to the fairing, bags, trunk, gas tank, etc but frame, engine, suspension appear good. I can do a lot of the fixing myself but kinda curious what a person should really pay for something like this? The guy is asking $4995.

I paid $4300 for this one. The good thing is other than the cosmetic damage it is pretty straight as far as frame and forks. Heck it still ahs two years of warranty. I'm overall very pleased, there are some scratches in the front fender and one small one on the tank but I'm not too picky when I think of the price.

Are you going to replace the bags if you get it? They are about $800 ea. WOW! Too much in my opinion. Thats why I am leaning toward some regular throw on bags. The only problem then is that these bikes are kind of built to have the hard bags on there. There is a frame (black pipe) running under the hard bags that they mount to that also hold the mufflers. The whole thing looks a little empty without something there. I think if there is the right crome available to remove the lower pipe and have normal fender supports that it wouldn't be a big deal but I've had a hard time finding a lot of aftermarket stuff. I'm sure its out there but I have no idea where to go to find it.

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update for anyone interested. I got the replacement vacuum pump and installed it and it totally fixed the issue. I had cleaned the carbs and installed new plugs and had an appointment with the dealer for a check-up if this didn't work. All it turned out to be was the vacuum issue. Must do something when you get up to about 45mph or 4th & 5th gear. Probably the gear selection. I think the cruise only works in 4th & 5th so it makes sense.

Hi Wildgoose.

Why don´t you check if Rick Butler has a bag for you. He sold me a set for 500 US$ without the lock and key and they were just great. I know that at that time he had another set available. If he has sold them then you should check eBay. There are usually some Royal Star hard bags for sale there and often sold seperately - that is not as a pair. You could also contact Pinwall Cycle in Ohio. The web address is pinwallcycle.com. They often have those for sale. Gotta have them bags on the bike. The bike looks stark naked without them.

Wish you all the best with your rebuild.

you can find bags for it if you kept looking on e-bay. i just sold a new left bag for $250, just didn't have the lock mech. there's also a set of slant leather bags that came on the 98-01 tour deluxe that will fit on the framing on the bike, i just sold a set of them for $75. i'll keep and eye out for you to see what i can find.

Yes I did replace both cowlings. The rh side was basically gone, the left was badly cracked.

Thanks for the tips on bags. I have been keeping an eye on ebay. Several there that i could have grabbed and painted to match. Would prefer to get one that matches so I'll have to be patient. I will also keep a close eye for the leathers that will mount to the frames. I could live with that. Thanks again.

Wildgoose...

good to hear its running better.....did you by chance reinstall the cowlings along with the vac pump? They will run poorer with the lowers removed...affects air intake flow....and they will bog at speed.

• 3 weeks later...

WOOOOHOOOO! I won a right side hard bag on ebay for $140.00. It was listed with the Delux without the "e" and seemed to be off the mainstream. Free shipping and everything. I already have it in getting painted and should be rolling basically complete in about a week. (I'm so excited....)There's still a little good weather left for a couple weekend trips and I'm getting jacked. I appreciate all the help you guys have been. Nice to be associated with a good group.

-paul