IGNORED

Back from Alaska

Mikealiasmike

Got back a few days ago with mom and had a great time. The cruise ship was alright but if I do it again it'll be in a camper and at a slower pace. I love that 3rd picture, it's exactly as was seen with no lens modification. Just georgous. Ride safe a God bless. Prayers are with everyone down south in Texas.

Looks like a great time! Gorgeous scenery! Glad you got to go with your mom.

I've always wanted to do Alaska. My Great-Great-Great-(someplace-back-there)-Grandfather, Wm Henry Seward bought Alaska for the US from Russia.

The killer is that a few years ago a friend offered me a free ride for me and my bike to Anchorage. I couldn't do it because I only had three days notice; I would need tires and had a $300 natural gas bill to pay or get shut off! :bawling:

Shame on you for making me home sick .:bawling: But I am glad you went and enjoy it !

Loved living in AK and still wonder why I left there . My son was born in Anchorage and I still have family there as well. I shall return there one of these days .

BEER30

If any of you are ever in the Anchorage area and need some tour guiding or want to compare bikes the4n give me a yell. I hosted a Ride-In here last summer (for the other site - but invited those here also). I might host another one someday. There are only a few main roads in Alaska but they lead to some incredible places. We toured for over a week and still wish we had more time. Bring warm clothes.

That was in Skagway. Nice town.

I took my wife on an Alaskan cruise about three years ago and it looks like I hit the same spots. I fell in love with Skagway. If there was any way I could just pick up and move, I'd move to Skagway.

I have to agree, it'd be nice to cover all the spots we did on the cruise at our own pace instead of at the ship's schedule. And it would have been nice to have had my own boat to explore the Hubbard Glacier, to go where I wanted to go.

Actually JoDee didn't go on this trip. She had no desire to go anywhere colder then what Iowa is already :rotf:As for Shari, I think it would not only be a sweet gesture to take her but also your duty to show her one of the most beautiful places on earth. If she wants to see more pics I got over 300 and video to match :whistling: God Bless. Mike

Thanks for setting the bar high for me.Shari's always wanted to go to Alaska and now after seeing your pics,she's wacking me up along side the head asking why don't I take her to Alaska...:buttkick::buttkick:

Glad you and JoDee and Mom had a great trip....:) C-ya

Wow, nice pics. Always planned to get back there. I was born and raised in Anchorage, actually lived in Turnagain about 2 1/2 blocks from the bluff (Earthquake Park, and yes I went through the quake). Took the cruise up to Haines on the way back once when I was little. Oh well, one of these days...and hey, any of you sourdoughs or even cheechakos out there give me a holler.

Later

She had no desire to go anywhere colder then what Iowa is already.

She might actually be surprised. I've been checking the CruiseCams for some Alaskan ports on http://www.kroooz-cams.com/USindex.html. Ketchikan and Skagway aren't that much different than here in Amarillo through the winter months. It's on account of the warm air that comes up from Japan. Here's some shots we took during a float plane excursion in Ketchikan.

Yeah, wife, I, and the kids took that cruise about 2 years ago. The trip was sorta boring, but the shore activities were great. I'da posted a few pics too, but I'm not near my computor... We stopped in Jeaneu, Ketchikan, and Skagway. Plus Hubbard Glacier. We got in very close to the glacier and experienced a huge calve. 'Course I was looking to other direction and didn't get a pic.... :(

Those were the exact same stops we made and we were on the Serenade of the Seas. Yes, the sea days can be boring, but it's all in what you do with them. As for me, I'd grab an ice cream and sit by an upper deck window and go on "Whale Watch". I saw several Dahl's porpoises and on th night that we departed Juneau we were surrounded by whales just as the sun was setting. We were amazed at the number of whales spouting that we saw. Trips like these don't come often enough, so you've got to make the most of it while you can.:happy34:

Guest tessa c2

glad to hear that you are back, and yes i have shirt tail rlatives up there and they say it is fantastic, know i would love to go hunting up there some time, t/c pete

Those were the exact same stops we made and we were on the Serenade of the Seas. Yes, the sea days can be boring, but it's all in what you do with them. As for me, I'd grab an ice cream and sit by an upper deck window and go on "Whale Watch". I saw several Dahl's porpoises and on th night that we departed Juneau we were surrounded by whales just as the sun was setting. We were amazed at the number of whales spouting that we saw. Trips like these don't come often enough, so you've got to make the most of it while you can.:happy34:

We never did see many whales. The boredom came from the Cruise Lines. Celebrity. Never again. We did a Caribian on NCL Norwegian, and it was a hoot. There's a lot to be said about their Free Style laid back cruising. Celebrity felt like a Greyhound Bus...

Here's what's funny about the whales. In Juneau we PAID for a whale watching excursion. We saw a few whales but never got that close to them. When we left Juneau we had whales surfacing beside the ship!

I've heard some good and some bad about freestyle cruising. Some folks like it and some folks don't. I've never tried it and I'm not too certain that I want to.

Here's what's funny about the whales. In Juneau we PAID for a whale watching excursion. We saw a few whales but never got that close to them. When we left Juneau we had whales surfacing beside the ship!

I've heard some good and some bad about freestyle cruising. Some folks like it and some folks don't. I've never tried it and I'm not too certain that I want to.

Yeah there are some folks that like the regement of old style cruising. I'd rather have fun... We'll pro'bly do an eastern Pacific Mexico trip next. On NCL...:thumbsup2: