IGNORED

Bike wont start

I just picked up an 86 Venture Royal.It will turn over and but not start.So far I checked the ignition fuse and it seems good,.According to the schematics it also powers the the cruise wich lights up when bike turned on.I am not hearing the fuel pump chatter i would normally hear. I will check for spark later.Is there a junction in the harness I should be looking for? THe PO said it ran last year. What are peoples thoughts.Battery is good and has lots of juice.:confused24:

I just picked up an 86 Venture Royal.It will turn over and but not start.So far I checked the ignition fuse and it seems good,.According to the schematics it also powers the the cruise wich lights up when bike turned on.I am not hearing the fuel pump chatter i would normally hear. I will check for spark later.Is there a junction in the harness I should be looking for? THe PO said it ran last year. What are peoples thoughts.Battery is good and has lots of juice.:confused24:

Pull a plug and see if you have spark, and check it for wetness. Not wet...no fuel. This is a good starting point....

First thing to check is the battery connections. A good battery may not be able to put enough through a corroded connection. The terminals do not have to look corroded to block enough amperage to start the engine. Ditto for the terminals to the starter and the frame.

Update:

So, I got to thinking about things.I pulled the connector to the fuel pump, attached a multi meter to the connections and turn on the key. I got 11.2 volts for about 5 seconds.Hum, I said.The PO had pulled the air box off in desperation because of the no start condition. I did a light spray of ether on top of the carbs then hit the starter.The bike seemed interested.Then, I got ambitious and dribbled gas into all carbs.I then hit the starter button and instant start for a few seconds.I was just the fuel pump.

Thanks for all your help guys.I have an extra pump lying around here somewhere and will swap it out and then post it running. I will be selling this bike if anyone is interested.It is not perfect but neither am I.Cheers, Ray

Its normal to only have 5 seconds of power to pump, without engine rotation.Its a safety feature in case of a fuel leak. If the pump was clicking away for the 5 secs, just flip the kill switch off and back on to restart the 5 secs. Once carbs are filled then try the cranking.

With the airbox is off, it will be hard to start cold....might want to reinstall.

Thanks Neil for the info.I was aware of the timing circuit of the pump.When I picked it up the PO was convinced the TCI was gone.I had a hunch it was some thing else. He was not a good trouble shooter I guess.I will put it all back together and then run it again.