IGNORED

2nd Gen vs VMax Rear end

Better mpg's with VMax rear end?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Better mpg's with VMax rear end?

• Yes
    • No

i did the VMax change on my 99 but for a different reason to fuel use i have a sidecar and pull a trailer, so for me it was for starting off without having to ride the clutch and excess throttle use and i lowered the speed i could go into 5 gear and for that reason it was a total success as far as fuel consumption goes it would be cheaper if i just took the car :-)

IMG_3400sm.jpg

IMG_3392sml.jpg

Edited by k9cottage

I did the V-Max conversion on my last two bikes and yes I did get slightly better mileage. I also got much better performance. The conversion will not effect the speedometer sensor as that is positioned to count off rear wheel revolutions. The only issue I have is the combination of V-Max rear end and a speedometer calibration device (SpeedoDRD) caused my cruise control to only work in fifth gear. But since fifth gear is much more usable with the V-Max that is ok by me.

OMG How do you get all that weight,(bike, trailer and hack) stopped in a reasonable space?

surprisingly it stops ok i do keep under the highway speed by about 10ks and i have my eye about 4-5 cars ahead in traffic which gives me heaps of warning and i do leave a good space between me and the car in front .

I am going to OMG myself. The more time I spend on here, the more things I hear about.

What the heck is a Vmax rear end conversion? What's involved and what's the advantage?

The V-Max rear end conversion lowers the gear ratio of the rear end. This provides for improved torque on acceleration and a slightly higher engine RPM at any speed.

There is an excellent article in the Second Gen tech section. The easiest way to accomplish it is to just pull the pumpkin and send it in for conversion. Having done this on two bikes now. I can say I am very happy with the results. The bike is much peppier and more responsive. I like that.

Mike

The easiest way to accomplish it is to just pull the pumpkin and send it in for conversion. Mike

Thanks Mike,

Can any Vmax rear end work? If not, where would I send my existing one for conversion?

I never really go much faster than 75mph on my bike so this conversion sounds like it would be great for me. Especially if gas mileage improves.

Just one more thing for my todo list for this winter!

I gotta say the more I spend time on this site and the more I learn about, you guys sure know how to make someone open up their wallets a lot to improve their ride.

You're almost as good at it as another Yamaha forum that I frequent.

Thanks Mike,

Can any Vmax rear end work? If not, where would I send my existing one for conversion?

I never really go much faster than 75mph on my bike so this conversion sounds like it would be great for me. Especially if gas mileage improves.

Just one more thing for my todo list for this winter!

I gotta say the more I spend time on this site and the more I learn about, you guys sure know how to make someone open up their wallets a lot to improve their ride.

You're almost as good at it as another Yamaha forum that I frequent.

Check this article. The V-Max gears will fit the RSV pumpkin.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?13266-VMAX-Rear-End-Swap

Mike

An interesting side note on this is I put a 2nd gen transmission in my 83 with a V Max final drive and it is as perfect of a setup as you can get. Comparing it to the stock 1st gen setup, it is 10% lower in 1st, 5% lower in 2nd. 3rd and 4th are the same and 5th is about 5% higher geared. The 5th gear ratio makes cruising at 70 a lot more comfortable and I don't have that constant feeling of needing another gear.

Randy

• 1 month later...