IGNORED

Handle Bar options

Hey Guys, wanting to upgrade from my 83, and buy an 07 RSV, found a super clean, low mileage gem. I took it for a drive (first 2nd Gen ever been on), and I felt the handle bars where way to low, tucked really close, bike seamed top heavy. I mean seriously, I had a hard time driving at low speeds. Totally turned me off, and I walked away from bike. Scratching my head (I really want a 2nd gen RSV) came to our trusted Forum. Did research on handle bar options, and looks like many like the RSTD bars on thgeir RSV, a little involved changing cables etc., some say the baron 1.5” risers. So much to absorb. I’m 6’2”, 275lb turd. Anyone else make modifications to their stock RSV handle bars. I sure like how I have moved my 83 bars out and up a tad. Just would like to hear I can do this / or that and get a comfortable position on a 2nd gen RSV, before I start looking possible at other bikes. Any suggestions / comments would be greatly appreciated.

There ARE lowering kits available for both the front and rear, and putting a smaller size front tire on also helps out! Yes indeed they are top heavy and until you get used to them low speed maneuvers are challenging! The hardest part I had was doing 180 degree turns!

That being said on the highway they are one of the most comfortable rides out there! Not as fast and nimble as the 1st Gens, but will still leave your average Harley in the dust!

I'm sure several will chime in with their opinions, etc...

PS besides the RSTD handlebars, Flanders makes a nice set of bars as well! I have them on mine along with Barons risers. Yes you will have to install longer throttle cables but they are available at several sources!

+1 on the Flanders bars, we have them on the wife's trike and she loves them. RSTD bars will work, but they are wider than RSV or Flanders bars and will put your hands out into the airflow that comes around the fairing, on hot days that's not bad, but on cold or rainy days not so much. On my bike I have the Barons risers and I found that to be just right for me. For cables when using alternate bars you can get longer braided $$$ or use stock RSTD cables $ For most applications 1 1/2" longer will be enough unless you do like Bongo and combine Flanders & risers.

The low speed handling is improved by raising the rear of the bike about 1 inch. There is a write up in the tech section on how to do this. If you are inseam challenged you can accomplish the same by lowering the front a little. Not sure but it seems I've read where the forks can be slid up further on the triple tree. Smaller front tire has been mentioned but I have not tried that as the raising the rear accomplished what I needed.

I have the forks slid up 7/8" and run Sonic 1.2 springs in them with 15W fork oil, the front tire is a Michelin CommanderII 130/90-16

The rear of the bike is stock height with a BFG T/A radial 155/80-15

The bike handles fantastic with this setup both at low speed and highway riding. Much better than the stock setup.

I have the forks slid up 7/8" and run Sonic 1.2 springs in them with 15W fork oil, the front tire is a Michelin CommanderII 130/90-16

The bike handles fantastic with this setup both at low speed and highway riding. Much better than the stock setup.

Yea, what he said!

:sign yeah that:

I need to change front tire to a 130... I'm still on stock, but Barons risers on stock bars, and lowered front end worked wonders for me. 5'10", 220 pounds. Tilted bars up a bit as well.

Very happy with changes so far. New tire will be all that's left to make my 05 RSV be a most excellent tourer.

+1 on the Flanders bars, we have them on the wife's trike and she loves them. RSTD bars will work, but they are wider than RSV or Flanders bars and will put your hands out into the airflow that comes around the fairing, on hot days that's not bad, but on cold or rainy days not so much. On my bike I have the Barons risers and I found that to be just right for me. For cables when using alternate bars you can get longer braided $$$ or use stock RSTD cables $ For most applications 1 1/2" longer will be enough unless you do like Bongo and combine Flanders & risers.

To clarify...if I were to do the Barons risers only, would I need longer cables?

No, with just the risers you can get away with just rerouting the cables. Many do. It would be better to replace them though. You can get a takeoff set from an rstd pretty cheap usually, they are 2" longer I think.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk