IGNORED

starter clutch when cold ?

Hi,

My '84's starter clutch is a real problem when the bike is cold, like first thing in the morning, but not so much when the bike is warm from a run or has been sitting in the sun at quitting time.

Is this a common failure mode?

(I have the part, just no time to install it)

Thanks,

Brian H.

Uxbridge Ont

Hi,

My '84's starter clutch is a real problem when the bike is cold, like first thing in the morning, but not so much when the bike is warm from a run or has been sitting in the sun at quitting time.

Is this a common failure mode?

(I have the part, just no time to install it)

Thanks,

Brian H.

Uxbridge Ont

That's really puzzling. I would think if you have a bad starter clutch it would be bad or good period, not subject to heat... The only variable is probably the oil flow when the engine warms up??? What exactely is the clutch doing, or not doing, to make you think it's bad???

Edited by Condor

Brian and Jack,

I'd guess I have the same problem. Been hearing a grind/clanking kind of noise, sounds like teeth/sprockets that aren't quite meshing together when I press the starter button, only happens every now and then right now, but doesn't seem to be tied to engine being warm or cold... it can happen at any time. From what I've been reading in some threads on here, it doesn't seem to be a crisis problem??? I'm going on a 4 day ride next weekend, and I doubt I'll have time to get the parts and do a fix before next friday. Lot's of good info in the forums about doing this, though. Good luck with the repairs.

I think it's not the warm/cold Temperatures of the Engine but of the Battery.

The Battery is more powerful when warm, because the inner Resistance is a Lot lower than on a cold Battery. Now, the Batters has more 'Power' to give and the Starter Clutch gets hit be a Lot crispier Snap and catches better and therefore misses not so often. A new or better Battery won't help you much in this State, the Clutch Repair has to done anyway.

it doesn't seem to be a crisis problem???

I have been living with mine being iffy for some time now, it has gradually got worse. Now I wonder if I'm going to get home every trip.

There are a few rainy days in the forcast, perhaps I'll pay a local mechanic to do the job for me while its raining.

Brian H.

Well I have been watching the warm / cold start clutch thing on my bike.

It definitely is a bigger problem first thing in the morning. When I originally posted, temps were in the 20 C region in the mornings. Today it was 27 C in my garage when I started her at our usual 05:30.

I am thinking that perhaps it is a bigger issue in the mornings because the starter motor is working harder / longer on those morning cold starts. My battery is brand new BTW.

Later in the day, there is a chance that all I'll get is rattle when I push the start button but the next time, if it gets a good grip, the motor starts easier being warm, so I notice it less.

Guess I am going to have to knuckle down and get the starter clutch changed 'cause I hate that rattle.

Thanks for listening.

Brian H.