Jump to content

What's in Your Emergency Bag?


Recommended Posts

Thought I'd share some of the spares I carry on long trips. Most is self explanatory in the pic so I won't list it. Since we normally travel with different brands I carry a mix of tools as well, both standard and metric. What's in your bag?

IMG_20220807_154831797.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Similar to whatca got there, plus one of those little battery packs to jump start my, or others bikes, and I carry a replacement fuel pump, as I've read where it's a common problem.... Also carry a tow rope and light duty jumper cables.   2 of my friends ride bikes from the 80s and I'm keeping them in mind.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've ridden the second gen Venture many thousands of miles and to be honest, I've never carried a  part of any kind.  I've been lucky I guess and have never had a failure of any type.  My bag consists of simple things like rain suits and etc.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Freebird said:

I've ridden the second gen Venture many thousands of miles and to be honest, I've never carried a  part of any kind.  I've been lucky I guess and have never had a failure of any type.  My bag consists of simple things like rain suits and etc.

I carry all this stuff mainly because we ride with others that may maintain their bikes all that well.....mostly Harley owners because it's so dang hard to drop your bike off, get it serviced and get it back within a reasonable time. I usually tell people before a trip to go over the bike. We ride out west Texas with no follow on vehicle and out there the closest dealer can be two hundred miles away. That being said I only had to get in the bag a couple times over many years. But to your point modern bikes are pretty much bullet proof.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I carry a .50-cal poly ammo box fairly well equipped with a good complimentary set of tools including test light and compact voltmeter, a spool of wire, electrical tape, magic tape (as it is re-marketed today. Old time electricians would remember it as splicing compound). Home made light weight booster cables with small clamps to make them more bike friendly. Recently included a small booster pack. Some low stretch multi-braid rope. some paracord. Nylon tarp an assotment of zip ties.

A permacure tire plug kit (permacure plugs are the only plugs I trust when unable to properly patch a tire. I have used hundreds of them over the last 30 years on every type of tire from motorcycle to transport and if I have to trust a plug for a road side repair they be the ones). A small 12v air compressor.

First aid kit in a waterproof package such as can be purchased from wilderness outfitters supply stores. Rain gear. a small dry sack containing a change of clothes and a campers towel.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, saddlebum said:

I carry a .50-cal poly ammo box fairly well equipped with a good complimentary set of tools including test light and compact voltmeter, a spool of wire, electrical tape, magic tape (as it is re-marketed today. Old time electricians would remember it as splicing compound). Home made light weight booster cables with small clamps to make them more bike friendly. Recently included a small booster pack. Some low stretch multi-braid rope. some paracord. Nylon tarp an assotment of zip ties.

A permacure tire plug kit (permacure plugs are the only plugs I trust when unable to properly patch a tire. I have used hundreds of them over the last 30 years on every type of tire from motorcycle to transport and if I have to trust a plug for a road side repair they be the ones). A small 12v air compressor.

First aid kit in a waterproof package such as can be purchased from wilderness outfitters supply stores. Rain gear. a small dry sack containing a change of clothes and a campers towel.

BINGO! ALL of the above only I also carry a small flash light that charges by winding the handle, hand impact w/bits, brass hammer, multi bit screw driver w bits, 16 inch Channel Locks, 1/4 drive socket set with 18mm plug socket, box end wrenches in 8, 10 and 12mm, needle nose, wire stripper/cutters w assortment of crimp ons n wire nuts, long handle allen wrenches, tube of E-6000, length of clear gas line long enough to hook to my tank vent line and be able to put pressure into the tank with my mouth while sitting upright and force fuel into the carbs if my fuel pump dies and I am 15 miles back in the mountains of Utah (had it happen),  supply of screws/bolts/nuts, utility knife, xtra brake pad set, brake fluid, multi meter (freeby from Harbor Freight), tire gauge, (3) 12 inch tire spoons, I use to carry 2 C-Clamps for tire busting but then @VanRiver sent me a really cool tire buster for Christmas that works AWESOME so NO MORE C-clamps. A small bag of black tire bead solvent sealed up so it dont harden and I carry a section of 2x6 that I cut to fit perfectly into the bottom of Tweeks right saddle bag (Maintenance Department) that also fits perfectly under her center stand and raises her up just enough so I can get the rear wheel tire off without having to dig a hole in the side of the highway for the front end to drop into to raise the back end up for the rear wheel to clear. 

I do carry the rope type tire plugs though cause they vulcanize best for me and I carry a can of rubber cement instead of trusting the little cement packs that come with the ropes. 

I carry my extra clothing inside our tent that is rolled up tightly and then wrapped in a cheapy tarp so everything stays dry. Besides, my maintenance department tips +50 pounds with just all the repair stuff filling it that makes a 1 month long cross county summer trip increase in probability that all three of us will make it home under our own power and possibly be able to help someone else and their war horse do the same.. The End,, nooo,, The beginning lol

Puc

Edited by cowpuc
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, cowpuc said:

BINGO! ALL of the above only I also carry a small flash light that charges by winding the handle, hand impact w/bits, brass hammer, multi bit screw driver w bits, 16 inch Channel Locks, 1/4 drive socket set with 18mm plug socket, box end wrenches in 8, 10 and 12mm, needle nose, wire stripper/cutters w assortment of crimp ons n wire nuts, long handle allen wrenches, tube of E-6000, length of clear gas line long enough to hook to my tank vent line and be able to put pressure into the tank with my mouth while sitting upright and force fuel into the carbs if my fuel pump dies and I am 15 miles back in the mountains of Utah (had it happen),  supply of screws/bolts/nuts, utility knife, xtra brake pad set, brake fluid, multi meter (freeby from Harbor Freight), tire gauge, (3) 12 inch tire spoons, I use to carry 2 C-Clamps for tire busting but then @VanRiver sent me a really cool tire buster for Christmas that works AWESOME so NO MORE C-clamps. A small bag of black tire bead solvent sealed up so it dont harden and I carry a section of 2x6 that I cut to fit perfectly into the bottom of Tweeks right saddle bag (Maintenance Department) that also fits perfectly under her center stand and raises her up just enough so I can get the rear wheel tire off without having to dig a hole in the side of the highway for the front end to drop into to raise the back end up for the rear wheel to clear. 

I do carry the rope type tire plugs though cause they vulcanize best for me and I carry a can of rubber cement instead of trusting the little cement packs that come with the ropes. 

 

I guess at that is on the truck bed following behind? LoL you could add a motorcycle lift and spare wheels to the list, I'm sure you have room somewhere. :) 1m miles teaches you a lot doesn't it?

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, cowpuc said:

BINGO! ALL of the above only I also carry a small flash light that charges by winding the handle, hand impact w/bits, brass hammer, multi bit screw driver w bits, 16 inch Channel Locks, 1/4 drive socket set with 18mm plug socket, box end wrenches in 8, 10 and 12mm, needle nose, wire stripper/cutters w assortment of crimp ons n wire nuts, long handle allen wrenches, tube of E-6000, length of clear gas line long enough to hook to my tank vent line and be able to put pressure into the tank with my mouth while sitting upright and force fuel into the carbs if my fuel pump dies and I am 15 miles back in the mountains of Utah (had it happen),  supply of screws/bolts/nuts, utility knife, xtra brake pad set, brake fluid, multi meter (freeby from Harbor Freight), tire gauge, (3) 12 inch tire spoons, I use to carry 2 C-Clamps for tire busting but then @VanRiver sent me a really cool tire buster for Christmas that works AWESOME so NO MORE C-clamps. A small bag of black tire bead solvent sealed up so it dont harden and I carry a section of 2x6 that I cut to fit perfectly into the bottom of Tweeks right saddle bag (Maintenance Department) that also fits perfectly under her center stand and raises her up just enough so I can get the rear wheel tire off without having to dig a hole in the side of the highway for the front end to drop into to raise the back end up for the rear wheel to clear. 

I do carry the rope type tire plugs though cause they vulcanize best for me and I carry a can of rubber cement instead of trusting the little cement packs that come with the ropes. 

I carry my extra clothing inside our tent that is rolled up tightly and then wrapped in a cheapy tarp so everything stays dry. Besides, my maintenance department tips +50 pounds with just all the repair stuff filling it that makes a 1 month long cross county summer trip increase in probability that all three of us will make it home under our own power and possibly be able to help someone else and their war horse do the same.. The End,, nooo,, The beginning lol

Puc

Trust me you ever try these you will never go back to rope type or any other again the supply that supplied my shop had 250 in the side wall of his front tire by the time he wore out the tire. Not something I would recommend but he did prove a point,

https://products.techtirerepairs.com/product/permacure-repair-bx-50/

Edited by saddlebum
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...