IGNORED

Ignitech ignition box is in and C.O.P. conversion done

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

How's the compression? And what was your oil type & change interval? I love the fj's.

Don't know, haven't checked. I've only had it since April. Haven't even done an oil change yet.

Runs strong and smooth. No oil usage. no smoke on start, idle, over run or acceleration. Plugs are that nice shade of brown. It's got starter chain slap, but they all do after about 20-30,000.

I'm not messing with what ain't broken.

:)

Will not work to TCIP4 that we are using.

Reply below from Ignitech.

Here is site for MAP SWITCH : http://www.ignitech.cz/en/vyrobky/accessories/map_switch/map_switch.htm

This is switch for handlebar. Some our units contains two ignition advance curves (maps), so that you can switch between these curves (maps) using this switch.

Unit TCIP4 has not two ignition advance curves (maps), so that MAP SWITCH is useless for TCIP4.

Gary

Will not work to TCIP4 that we are using.

Reply below from Ignitech.

Here is site for MAP SWITCH : http://www.ignitech.cz/en/vyrobky/accessories/map_switch/map_switch.htm

This is switch for handlebar. Some our units contains two ignition advance curves (maps), so that you can switch between these curves (maps) using this switch.

Unit TCIP4 has not two ignition advance curves (maps), so that MAP SWITCH is useless for TCIP4.

Gary

Hmmm, just personal curiosity, but I wonder which units have the capacity to hold two programs.......

Edited by Great White

Taking LOTS of pictures or doing a video? Sounds like a post for the reference file for everyone to look at/consult for those heavy duty mods....More power to ya!:banana:

It will be the oem Venture stuff this year.

Next year may change. Might get custom exhaust, 1300 carbs and vboost. Only so much money in the pot for this year.

It's also getting VMax heads, cams, vmax final drive, a 2002 RSV transmission and a v88 ignitech. Changing luggage boxes to 86 boxes, 86 wiring harness going in to get Venture cruise, CLASS and the later style instrument cluster. Also getting modern brakes and doing away with the linked brakes scheme. There'll be some painting required to match up all the components. Thinking about building a power windscreen too. There's some other little bits of brik-a-brak on the list to be done also. Lots of tuning and recalibrating to be done when it rolls out next spring.

I've also got lots of work to do to my fj1200. Most involved will be adapting a venture cruise unit to it and a 17" radial tire conversion. But it also has to come down to the frame and be rebuilt. Nothing really serious, its just a bit beat up and tired. Mostly cosmetic work and fixing the sins of previous owners. Not getting into the engine (FJ engines are solid as a tank) but carbs need complete rebuild, right down to yanking the emulsion tubes. Bike has 144,000 on it.

That's enough to do for one winter downtime period.....;)

Taking LOTS of pictures or doing a video? Sounds like a post for the reference file for everyone to look at/consult for those heavy duty mods....More power to ya!:banana:

Not planning to do much.

Certainly not a "how to series" or anything like that. Maybe some pics as I go along. Not really my thing anymore. I'm just in it for the work and using it afterwards.

Won't be a lot to see anyways. Just a black engine with VMax heads and new rear boxes.....probably some blacked out chrome as well. Likely powder coated since the chrome off the 86 is not "savable" and rechroming is mucho deniro....

Edited by Great White

Powder coat is way better (practical) than chrome anyway. It's more maintainable, maybe not as scratch resistant to abrasion but certainly easier and cheaper to fix than chrome. I have been considering getting a used electric or propane oven in my garage and power coating my stuff. We do it at work but the boss won't allow us to do our own stuff there. Wish you could reconsider the tutorial. That kind of thing would benefit many here.

With that amount of miles and not burning any oil it probably had top end done. I agree dont touch the bottom but i would do a compression check before pulling the motor.

From what I know of the po's, very doubtful its been done.

FJ's are as solid and simple as a stone axe. Wouldn't surprise me if its never been touched.

Anyways, as mentioned; I ain't fixing what ain't broken.....:)

Powder coat is way better (practical) than chrome anyway. It's more maintainable, maybe not as scratch resistant to abrasion but certainly easier and cheaper to fix than chrome. I have been considering getting a used electric or propane oven in my garage and power coating my stuff. We do it at work but the boss won't allow us to do our own stuff there. Wish you could reconsider the tutorial. That kind of thing would benefit many here.

Actually, I'm starting to think just paint so I can touch it up whenever I want.....

I built a small vacuum reservoir for the MAP sensor. Sent all 4 ports to a union. Then put in the restrictor. At that point I attached the Dingy-Can and then on to the MAP sensor. Sucsess!! The voltage readings are stabilized at only a maximum 3% variance. I may need to adjust the voltage values a bit yet. I like my 100% as it is. Running 4.7 volts. The reading taken with the engine off and no vacuum. My lower voltage is currently ar 3.2 volts. It may need a bit of lowering yet. Goingto figure out how to tie down the reservoir then go ride.

Ended up with reservoir up on top of coil bracket next to MAP sensor. Remember, did coil on plug conversion so bracket was empty.

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/09/07/c02d8e09b377381f8c06b2a303786940.jpg

Lonestarmedic, try https://app.box.com/s/wc7hwsd7ec4y59e5mr2eu5i59dgmopbs

gains steam without failures! With a power not everything is clear, tested without passenger.

Obligatory recalibration of IAP is required.

Experiment is required! To put on the passenger's motorcycle with the laptop. To disperse to the maximum speed (~ 180 km/h). To measure the maximum uncharging for standard boost sensor under loading.

I'm not sure I get it. does dingy's ignetech and MAP sensor as delivered running off the #2 vacuum port work or is there a tach issue that requires the dwell to be set at auto, and an advance curve issue that requires the idle advance to be set to 7 degrees and tweeks elsewhere, and a then the 4 into 1 vacuum can and map voltages to be adjusted?? I thought this was a mature system to replace the TCI..

I built a small vacuum reservoir for the MAP sensor. Sent all 4 ports to a union. Then put in the restrictor. At that point I attached the Dingy-Can and then on to the MAP sensor. Sucsess!! The voltage readings are stabilized at only a maximum 3% variance. I may need to adjust the voltage values a bit yet. I like my 100% as it is. Running 4.7 volts. The reading taken with the engine off and no vacuum. My lower voltage is currently ar 3.2 volts. It may need a bit of lowering yet. Goingto figure out how to tie down the reservoir then go ride.

Ended up with reservoir up on top of coil bracket next to MAP sensor. Remember, did coil on plug conversion so bracket was empty.

GaryS- as delivered the Ignitech works just fine. I am in search of the most I can get out of it for my bike, my riding style, and my situations.

MAP off port 2 is fine. I just noticed that it pulses a bit at idle. Trying to smooth it out.

The dwell setting on mine is different because I no longer have spark plug wires.

Base advance changes once again for my bike. The original is fine.

MAP voltage adjustments because every bike is slightly different. Original range is fine.

Bottom line, this is a universal TCI that can be programmed to duplicate the Venture/Vmax TCI. And as such it can be programmed to an individual bike.

Other choices out there to replace a faulty TCI include: 1-a used TCI from another bike. 2- sending the bike to a junkyard. Yamaha does not make the original anymore.

I'm not sure I get it. does dingy's ignetech and MAP sensor as delivered running off the #2 vacuum port work or is there a tach issue that requires the dwell to be set at auto, and an advance curve issue that requires the idle advance to be set to 7 degrees and tweeks elsewhere, and a then the 4 into 1 vacuum can and map voltages to be adjusted?? I thought this was a mature system to replace the TCI..

I do not believe I have ever said the Ignitech TCI was perfect as I deliver it. I even have included PDF files on the CD as how to tweak it, specifically there is one on there about how to reset the MAP sensor voltages, I wouldn't have done that if I thought it was perfect. I often see post on here that people think they have a TCI issue and I don't immediately try to sell them one. I offer suggestions that I know could be causing problems that are sometimes misdiagnosed as a TCI issue. Not saying I don't supply a link to my classified add though, not real stupid.

TVking was 1st I am aware of that made an effort to promote Ignitech here.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?40414-Aftermarket-TCI-available!&highlight=ignitech+thread

Every bike is somewhat different, coupled with rider differences and what each rider thinks is important is what makes this unit a much more versatile option than a stock decades old TCI.

I was far from the first to explore this unit. I was the one that invested in making them available to riders here and on VMax site. At first I relied on 'copays' from people wanting to invest in one, but for the last few years have been able to front the funds required to purchase these in quantities that made sense to me to do.

I am very active in this and the original Ignitech thread on sharing what I have learned from people that have one, at times even people that didn't get unit from me. Sometimes I see post about ideas that I don't believe in, but I don't post negatively about an idea unless I have past experience that says it won't do what is suggested. I don't know or understand everything about this unit. I do believe I have more hands on experience & understanding with it as it relates to Ventures & VMax's than the people at Ignitech though. They have not upgraded their curve on it since they 1st added it to the list of bikes supported. About 25% of the harnesses I get from them are wired incorrectly, which I have told them about and they insist it will run the way they deliver it irregardless of differences in harness.

The canister idea was first brought up by me in Feb. 2012, certainly not a new idea. Post #262 in thread linked above.

Gary

I initially started out with a longer canister, through several tries, I settled on as short of a canister as I could get with 1 1/4" PVC. What I saw from TP graph was that the longer canister induced a lag in response to throttle opening. This is due to larger canister takes longer to reach an equilibrium in relation to PSI changes. The short can provided a helpful buffer, while not inducing to much lag.

Just my experience.

Picture of first try and last one attached.

Gary

PICT0440.JPG

PICT0551.jpg

Sorry Gary for what sounded like an attack. I agree that you have been very active and helpful here. Forums are all about sharing knowledge. Your price was very fair as I couldn't buy the unit from Ignetech plus a MAP sensor myself for much less. I assumed I was getting all your experience with the unit tweeked for your best flavor of timing for the venture 1200 and the ad seemed to note just extra features (like coil overs, and rev limiter, shutoffs...). I thought it was optimized and my fault I hadn't read or heard anything about a TPS instead, or the vacuum buffer, or MAP voltages, or dwell setting.. I still haven't been able to open the CD but no real biggie as I'm sure it will run fine as is and then I'll just tweek it all up hopefully adding to the knowledgebase. good stuff here.