IGNORED

1300 engine problem

Ok I joined or paid the $12.00, unlock the info!

One more thing you need to do, add this header information so when someone reads your post, they will not have to go to your profile to see what kind of bike you are taking about. Otherwise, you will need to note what bike you are talking about in your post.

RandyA

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?90684-Help-us-to-Help-you-with-your-bike-info-in-your-header-updated-to-new-forum

One more thing about mileage on these engines. I just replaced the 167,000 mile engine in my 83 with another 83 engine that had 30,000 miles on it. The old engine was strong, it would scream, and did not use any noticeable oil. The main reason I swapped the engine was I had put a 2nd gen Venture transmission in the new engine that had wider spaced gear ratios. The problem I am having now is the lower mileage engine is not nearly as strong as the high mileage engine.

The point is, just because the engine has a lot of miles does not mean it necessarily needs overhauling. My suggestion would be to take the valve covers off and check the valve clearances and then put a starter on it and do a compression check. If this turns out pretty good, I would fix the oil leaks and put the engine in the bike. This could give you years to find a lower mileage engine.

RandyA

OK to do a proper rebuild it will end up costing waaay more than a good low mileage engine would cost. For starters a complete gasket set will run you around $250 or more...

Do as Randy suggested and as long as the compression is good go with it as is. The usual oil leaks are valve covers, the seal for the clutch push rod, and sometimes an extruding o ring on the bottom of the engine which is obvious when you remove the oil pan.

Welcome to the family, feel free to join in any conversation at any time, and as soon as you get it running try to make some of the meets and eats through the year!!

HI Pete> did you win this motor.This is too bad. I am scrapping my 86 donor .It seems to have a great motor.Too bad you don't live in Canada. Ray

Here are a couple links of the bike running if anyone is interested.It is Cheery brown and still has lots on her. Edited by paysaw

OK, I found a 88 venture royale for sale, good engine be t sitting for years to quote the seller. Drove 3 hours and it would not start. Bike was complete wit 20,000 miles. It was a good solid bike with all plastic intac with no cracks. So I bought it for $350.00 and brought it home for a donor bike, since I need an engine. Got it running after rebuilding carbs, sounds good, but too good to strip. So now I have 3 complete ventures and still need an engine. I have decided to rebuild the existing engine with new case halves.