IGNORED

Triple Tree ? / Part 2

rob0361

Ok gentleman, I finally figured the pic upload thing. Had to reduce the size of the pics in paint then they would upload. So please take a look at the pics of the triple tree and tell me if this looks stock or aftermarket. I don't want to spend $1000 dollars on a new triple tree if I don't need too. Your help is greatly appreciated!!!!! If this is stock then I will give Hannigan a call today and order the 6 degree Steer-light and then I just have to find someone local to install it for me. Thanks again Rob

[ATTACH]82752[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]82753[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]82754[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]82755[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]82756[/ATTACH]

Well after going back and looking at the pics ragtop69gs posted the other day, I guess that this is a hannigan triple tree installed. Man, I guess I just need to work out some more then, get a little more meat on the bones. lol

It sure looks like one of Hannigan's Triple Trees to me as well. Take a look at the distances between the rear of the front fender and the radiator. If it's more than about three inches it has an aftermarket triple tree on it. I don't know the exact distance of a stock tree (3"?) but Hannigan's tree will be about 5" from the chrome tip to the lower cowling.

Hope this helps

Larry

It sure looks like one of Hannigan's Triple Trees to me as well. Take a look at the distances between the rear of the front fender and the radiator. If it's more than about three inches it has an aftermarket triple tree on it. I don't know the exact distance of a stock tree (3"?) but Hannigan's tree will be about 5" from the chrome tip to the lower cowling.

Hope this helps

Larry

Thanks Larry, for the measurement idea. It is approximately 5" from chrome fender tip to the lower cowling. Well that saves about $1500 bucks. Now I can buy something else, maybe floor boards instead.

Yup, that looks like Hannigan to me as well. There is a learning curve to riding a trike so you may very well get used to it after a few hundred miles or so...

Yeah, I just need to MAN UP and get use to the way it feels. I knew that this was going to be different, but didn't really realize how much different. So, Cougar was correct the other day it was already raked. Thanks for your help. Rob

I don't know how long you have been riding a trike but when I switched over it took me quite awhile to get used to the steering. I had been on 2 wheels for nearly 50 years. I found that I was beginning to tolerate it better after about 5k miles. It has now been 2.5 years since I bought my trike and the steering doesn't feel near so strange to me anymore. I do not have a raked triple tree on my trike but I found that switching tires made a big difference. It had an E3 on it when I bought it and I thought it steered like a truck. I now have a rear Bridgestone Battle Ax same size as the original Goldwing 1500 front tire and it steers much better. Also what pressure are you running? I find 41 lbs seems to work great for me. Good luck with the trike and if you haven't already, come visit us over on TrikeTalk.com

I don't know how long you have been riding a trike but when I switched over it took me quite awhile to get used to the steering. I had been on 2 wheels for nearly 50 years. I found that I was beginning to tolerate it better after about 5k miles. It has now been 2.5 years since I bought my trike and the steering doesn't feel near so strange to me anymore. I do not have a raked triple tree on my trike but I found that switching tires made a big difference. It had an E3 on it when I bought it and I thought it steered like a truck. I now have a rear Bridgestone Battle Ax same size as the original Goldwing 1500 front tire and it steers much better. Also what pressure are you running? I find 41 lbs seems to work great for me. Good luck with the trike and if you haven't already, come visit us over on TrikeTalk.com

Hey Paul,

Thanks for the info, just checked the front tire out:

New Dunlop D404

Size: 150/80 B16 M/C 71H

Air PSI: 36

I just bought this trike about a month ago now and it's my first time riding one, so I guess I just need to get use to the way it steers. Not for sure if this tire size means I should go smaller or it's already small enough.

Rob

Yep, that's a Hannigan Steer-Lite, it's the newer style trees, if you compare it to mine there are subtle differences but it is a raked tree.

As has been said already, you could just not be used to the difference between bike & trike, or it's possible your front tire is under-inflated, neck bearing too tight, rear shocks set too soft, also possible but not likely is that the rear alignment is not set correct. Could be one or a combination of the above.

That 404 could be part of the problem. Thats what ours had at first, I switched to a Michelin CommanderII and it really helped .

Nice looking Trees :doh: , now let us see THE REST OF THE TRIKE ! :stickpoke:

Ok, here are some quick shots of the trike sitting in my garage...hopefully you all give it the seal of approval for us venture trikers. Thanks

Rob

...and no tacky silver flames on it!!! Get yourself a cooler rack for the trailer, you will enjoy it!

Nice yellow muscle car!!:wow:

Thanks for the compliments on the trike and YELLOW MUSCLE car. It's my other baby.

2012 Dodge Challenger/Yellow Jacket

392/6.4L HEMI/470hp/470 ftlbs torque

0-60 in 4 sec.

0-180 on speedometer (I have only nerved it to 130)

Get 42 LBS in that front tire and it will be like power steering !!

The Trike looks awesome.

OR maybe even a New front Tire. if yours is Square

as your front tire will slide side to side and not roll anymore.

You will be amazed on the diff.

Enjoy !!

Jeff

That 404 could be part of the problem. Thats what ours had at first, I switched to a Michelin CommanderII and it really helped .

:sign yeah that:

I had a 404 on my Trike for 2 months and it cupped really bad. get a Michelin CommanderII ( rear same size as front ) and you will be a happy camper

Yes Rob you need to know that you will burn out front tires faster than that Challenger can go through a set of rear tires on the drag strip! Normal motorcycle tires are rounded where the rubber meets the road which is OK for going straight, but when you turn the tire tends to slide because of the minimal contact area which can and will cause cupping, and the tires will tend to wear flat. we have discovered that using a Rear style tire in the front, mounted backwards due to radial belt wear being opposite on the front tire vs the rear tire, tends to last much much longer. Now the downside of a larger contact area is it causes the front wheel to tend to want to go straight and it requires a little more force to get the tire to turn so that the whole vehicle turns! Ideally the best tire for wear would be a car type tire if you can find one that fits. You would get maximum grip while turning and less wear, at the expense of it handling a bit more harsh!

The idea behind a rake is to get the front tire further away from the rear tires which makes turning easier but it makes the vehicle have a bigger turning radius. That's why they steer easier with the rake kit. Now with that in mind, switching to the Flanders bars gives you more leverage due to the handles being further away from the pivot point. Kind of like putting a pipe on a socket wrench to give you more leverage! The span is a little further out which means you have to turn your arms a little further but you have more leverage making it steer easier. Barons risers do the same thing but on a smaller scale.

Hope to hook up with you somewhere down the road!!!

Don't know if you discovered this yet but it would be a great M&E for you to attend in May. B2Dad still has his Hannigan RSV. Actually they are only about 1/2 hr from the Factory! The Meet is a fund raiser for ST. Jude's Hospital but no one holds a gun to you and makes you give. It's a really good time and several of us RSV Trikers will be there...

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=83674

Don't know if you discovered this yet but it would be a great M&E for you to attend in May. B2Dad still has his Hannigan RSV. Actually they are only about 1/2 hr from the Factory! The Meet is a fund raiser for ST. Jude's Hospital but no one holds a gun to you and makes you give. It's a really good time and several of us RSV Trikers will be there...

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=83674

Thanks for the heads up about this, only 5 hour ride to Dresden from Clinton. I will make plans with the wife to make this trip in May.

:sign yeah that:

I had a 404 on my Trike for 2 months and it cupped really bad. get a Michelin CommanderII ( rear same size as front ) and you will be a happy camper

Ok I will look into changing the front tire out to the Michelin, hopefully it will help a little more. Thanks

Rob

You are welcome.Most of us on trikes are running 41 to 42. The front 404 will wear fast. i had a Michelin on the front for a while but it was rough riding on the wing. I went to a Bridgestone and it rides smooth and steers very light for an unraked front end.I also like the way it grabs. I can go into a corner more aggressively then the E3 When you replace that 404 if you can, find a rear tire the same size as your front tire is now and use that.It will last you much longer. I have 8000 miles on mine now and the tread depth is almost as good as new.

You are welcome.Most of us on trikes are running 41 to 42. The front 404 will wear fast. i had a Michelin on the front for a while but it was rough riding on the wing. I went to a Bridgestone and it rides smooth and steers very light for an unraked front end.I also like the way it grabs. I can go into a corner more aggressively then the E3 When you replace that 404 if you can, find a rear tire the same size as your front tire is now and use that.It will last you much longer. I have 8000 miles on mine now and the tread depth is almost as good as new.

Thanks Paul, for all your help. I know that I still have a lot to learn about riding a trike vs two wheels. But I am up for the challenge.....

42 please :thumbsup2: and try the rears .. the left one at 24 to 26 and the right 26 to 28 two lbs less on the left

if you have lots of crowned roads like I do. it will also make for a softer ride.

The rear differences will help make it go straighter on crowned roads.