IGNORED

Jacksonville, NC.

ragtop69gs

Looks like my son will be moving to Jacksonville, NC. His wife is from New Bern, NC. He is awaiting the contract offer from his prospective employer but it looks pretty for sure. He'll be taking my grandson too :crying: but this is a fantastic opportunity for him.

What can anyone tell me about this city ? Housing, crime, cost of living?

I-75 to I-90 to I-77 to I-74 to I-40.

In your cage, leave at 4AM and you can be there aroud 8-9PM.

Bike is a streach for you and Grandma straight through.

Enjoy your visits.

I know nothing about the town except passed through it going to Outter Banks.

Jacksonville is a big Marine Corps air station town.

Enjoy your visits.

My son was stationed at Cherry Point when he was discharged 10 years ago, if this job comes thru, he will be working at MCAS New River as a civilian contractor. We've been down around New Bern before, when he was at Cherry Point, we liked the area.

We have a few members down there and we aren't too far north from there. Beer30 is in Jax if you want to get in touch with someone. Just think it's a good excuse for a nice ride to visit the grandkid.

Margaret

We'll be going there often, for a visit. Who knows, we may just move there too. We're getting tired of these northern winters anyway.

We'll be going there often, for a visit. Who knows, we may just move there too. We're getting tired of these northern winters anyway.

Actually, my wife is from Kalamazoo. Still got friends up there so we go visit a couple of times a year. Catch the hell out of bluegills.

But,,, no one moves back north to retire!

Northern winters?

Come up to Winnipeg and visit us this winter. You will have to put chains on the trike.

Sorry about the distance to the grandson but 4 hours aren't that bad.

My neighbor's grandkids are 8 to 9 hours away and they do travel a lot.

Enjoy your visits.

In all honesty, J'Ville is a military town......close the base and the town would dry up a blow away. J'ville is the home of huge Marine Corps Base, Camp Lejeune, home of the Second Marine Division. The air station is one of the Corps smallest. It's name is Marine Corps Air Station, New River. Not sure if the small annex between the two is still there (Camp Geiger); it was when I was in. Ask me how I know all this stuff.

Maybe we can arrange to spend our winters down there!!:dancefool: Then come back north for our summers!! Need to keep up our FREE health care you.:whistling: Good thing we can take our pensions with us no matter where we live. :detective:

FREE !!! I guess you have not noticed how much you pay overall in taxes, it's anything but FREE

In all honesty, J'Ville is a military town......close the base and the town would dry up a blow away. J'ville is the home of huge Marine Corps Base, Camp Lejeune, home of the Second Marine Division. The air station is one of the Corps smallest. It's name is Marine Corps Air Station, New River. Not sure if the small annex between the two is still there (Camp Geiger); it was when I was in. Ask me how I know all this stuff.

New River may be the smallest, but, he's coming in on the ground floor of a new project that will be on all MCAS, unless they totally stop flying he'll have work.

Northern winters?

Come up to Winnipeg and visit us this winter. You will have to put chains on the trike.

18 Hours ! where'd ya get 4 ?

Cow town in the winter, NO THANKS, I'd break my other ankle on frozen cow patties :whistling:

Yea the Marines own that town. As with most military towns the locals are probably:stirthepot: about sick of them, until they move out and they will realize that's what holds up their economy.

I was there 78. 79 80 and I drank the water!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camp_Lejeune_water_contamination

(For those that were there 53 to 87 better read that and contact the VA if you have any symptoms.)

Anyways, BOTH my Boys were also in Marines, BORN on Camp Lejune Mom was WM too! So when they were in during Affy, we went down there and not a whole lot changed, the best part is you are within 4 hours drive of some of the most fantastic beaches on the east coast.

And it is great riding there. I could go find a spot and watch Cherry Point flights for hours.

Be kind of hard to find a place there reasonable, lots of Marines living off base. Crime is on the less than normal side, dealing with LEO's is nothing compared to having to deal with the First Sgt.

Northern winters?

18 Hours ! where'd ya get 4 ?

Cow town in the winter, NO THANKS, I'd break my other ankle on frozen cow patties :whistling:

My bad, I should have looked on a map.

And cow patties aren't slippery when they are frozen.

They make great pucks.

I grew up in a disadvantaged neighborhood. We had to use German Shepard patties for pucks....

And we actually had moccasins to wear. Very slippery, but great for bumper shining.

Well, it's official, my son got the job and will be starting on Nov. 4th. I'll be making a trip down there sometime in the next 2 weeks with a trailer load. I'm going to miss them, but what really sucks is my 19 month old grandson will be 18 hours away now. I am gonna miss the little guy. :crying: