IGNORED

New rear tire...

Had my new Avon VenomX 150/90-16 80H installed today. My last one wore flat in the middle due to me running it with to much air pressure. Why did I run to much psi is beyond me. Call it a $145.00 mistake. 54 to 56 psi and it turned into a car tire...totally square. It started riding so bad that I thought my swingarm was worn out. Had swingarm checked while tire was off and no play at all...perfect. New mount and balance and the old girl tracks true as ever. Bring on the weather...we are ready to roll once again! Thinking about a Thanksgiving ride to Myrtle Beach tomorrow...gonna be a beautiful day here in South Carolina.

Had my new Avon VenomX 150/90-16 80H installed today. My last one wore flat in the middle due to me running it with to much air pressure. Why did I run to much psi is beyond me. Call it a $145.00 mistake. 54 to 56 psi and it turned into a car tire...totally square. It started riding so bad that I thought my swingarm was worn out. Had swingarm checked while tire was off and no play at all...perfect. New mount and balance and the old girl tracks true as ever. Bring on the weather...we are ready to roll once again! Thinking about a Thanksgiving ride to Myrtle Beach tomorrow...gonna be a beautiful day here in South Carolina.

I run 50 in my rear tire. I think Snaggletooth does also. I am a nicely plump guy at 273 lb. Motorcycle tires are so touchy about the air pressure. I also learned to check often and keep regulated decently and you can get 14,000 and more miles out of a back tire if you do not hole shot it at take off. Good choice of a tire I think. I love the Avon Venom myself, will not change unless convinced there are better. None yet for me. The weather handling of these tires far exceed anything I ever tried.

Fuzzy

I run 50 in my rear tire. I think Snaggletooth does also. I am a nicely plump guy at 273 lb. Motorcycle tires are so touchy about the air pressure. I also learned to check often and keep regulated decently and you can get 14,000 and more miles out of a back tire if you do not hole shot it at take off. Good choice of a tire I think. I love the Avon Venom myself, will not change unless convinced there are better. None yet for me. The weather handling of these tires far exceed anything I ever tried.

Fuzzy

Yep, I do. I got 25,000 miles out of my first set, (and I ran them to the end) at 50 lbs. I'm into my second set now since last spring. I'm 265 myself and keep a close eye on pressure. I do run solo most the time and try to keep the twist out of the wrist. Not real good at that. :whistling:

Living in Nebraska I have to look for roads where I can wear down the edges to keep it rounded off. It's like 285 miles with 11 curves around here. It's tough to kill a chicken strip here in the middle of corn country.

As far as performance on wet roads...... nuttin better in my books.

Mike

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Fuzzy & Mike, okay...I hear you guys, but...50 psi is TOO high of pressure for the back tire of your bikes. You may in fact have had success, but...you will most likely do better with a lower psi, like 40 to 42 psi. Really ! I hear you that you are happy with the mileage, performance, etc. of the tires are 50 psi, but...(a lot of buts in here), you can do better than you have been.

Secondly, your personal body weight has NOTHING at all to do with what pressure your tires should be set at. None, nada, zero, nothing. At some point in your lives someone has told you this erroneous story about your weight, and you bought into it. Whether you weight 150 lbs, or 300 lbs, your tire should be set at the exact same pressure. Period !

The air front forks are to be adjusted to support your weight, and type of riding you do, but more importantly...it is the rear air shock on your bikes that you adjust to compensate for your body weight. Yes, both the front and rear air suspension system plays a part in supporting your weight, but the rear suspension plays the larger part.

Whether you agree with me, or argue with me, at least TRY running a brand new set of tires at 40 psi...front and rear...and then tell me what youe mileage is. Is you are in fact running Avon Venoms, then adjust the pressures up by 2 psi...not 10 psi.

(just kidding here) As long as there are motorcycles and tires, people will continue to waste money on their motorcycle tires due to either under-inflation, or over-inflation, until they all listen to me.:whistling:

I installed my second set of Avons a few months ago. The first set I ran at the lower pressure of 46 and got 10,000 miles out of the rear. I don't see how going any lower will help when others are beating that with a higher pressure. 50 psi for me on this set for the rear and we will see what we will see. No problems with cracking on the first set and love the handling wet or dry.

Miles,

Depending upon what Venom you purchase some of them have a sidewall pressure on the rear of 50lbs. They are not all the same as other mfgrs, so look at what the sidewall states as max and go according to that.....:2cents:

Hey Fuzzy & Mike, okay...I hear you guys, but...50 psi is TOO high of pressure for the back tire of your bikes. You may in fact have had success, but...you will most likely do better with a lower psi, like 40 to 42 psi. Really ! I hear you that you are happy with the mileage, performance, etc. of the tires are 50 psi, but...(a lot of buts in here), you can do better than you have been.

Gentlemen, I would be happy to hear your latest riding data, miles, performance, etc., with running your Avon Venoms at 50 psi on the rear tire. I do "try" to stay open-minded about learning where things have changed and improved. I will say, if 50 psi works for you, and you are happy, then...quite frankly...that is all that matters.

If I run Avon Venoms in the future, I will set my rear tire at 44 psi, and see how many miles I get.

But hey, I am always willing to hear from others, and learn more. I may have more miles on motorcycles than anyone else on this forum, but that does not mean I am the most intelligent person on this forum.:backinmyday:

I disagree, Wingman and I put Avon Venoms or our bikes just days apart. He ran 42lbs in his rear tire, I ran mine at 50 lbs. His rear tire wore out in about 7500 miles, mine was replaced with over 14,000 miles. When he switched tires after it wore out he started running 50 in the rear and got more mileage out of it than the first.

Secondly, your personal body weight has NOTHING at all to do with what pressure your tires should be set at. None, nada, zero, nothing. At some point in your lives someone has told you this erroneous story about your weight, and you bought into it. Whether you weight 150 lbs, or 300 lbs, your tire should be set at the exact same pressure. Period !

The air front forks are to be adjusted to support your weight, and type of riding you do, but more importantly...it is the rear air shock on your bikes that you adjust to compensate for your body weight. Yes, both the front and rear air suspension system plays a part in supporting your weight, but the rear suspension plays the larger part.

Whether you agree with me, or argue with me, at least TRY running a brand new set of tires at 40 psi...front and rear...and then tell me what youe mileage is. Is you are in fact running Avon Venoms, then adjust the pressures up by 2 psi...not 10 psi.

(just kidding here) As long as there are motorcycles and tires, people will continue to waste money on their motorcycle tires due to either under-inflation, or over-inflation, until they all listen to me.:whistling:

But I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express........................LOL:cool10:

I think we can all agree with the last part of your post........:thumbsup2:

I may have more miles on motorcycles than anyone else on this forum, but that does not mean I am the most intelligent person on this forum.:backinmyday:

I disagree, Wingman and I put Avon Venoms or our bikes just days apart. He ran 42lbs in his rear tire, I ran mine at 50 lbs. His rear tire wore out in about 7500 miles, mine was replaced with over 14,000 miles. When he switched tires after it wore out he started running 50 in the rear and got more mileage out of it than the first.

Gee, then I would say...read my post that is posted...just above your disagreement.:backinmyday:

I think many of us...including me...suffer from Too Quick of Fingers syndrome.