IGNORED

Jacking up a First Gen?

Hey guys, What's the best way to jack up a First Gen? Help me out. I want to check the front wheel bearings, steering bearings, rear bearings, swing arm and shock. You know... all that stuff that could cause major mishaps at interstate speeds. So I need to get the front and back off of the ground. Is there an easy way to get it up on to the center stand? That will help for some stuff. I can't seem to do it even with help. I have a Harbor Freight M/C Jack, willingness and ingenuity! :fingers-crossed-emo

I used my Harbor Freight jack but then had a couple of bricks with a board across under the front portion of the engine. to give more stabilization. I also had a friend handy to help so I could balance the bike and put the bricks and board under it. That is a heavy puppy, I don't recommend doing it alone. :no-no-no:

Hey guys, What's the best way to jack up a First Gen? Help me out. I want to check the front wheel bearings, steering bearings, rear bearings, swing arm and shock. You know... all that stuff that could cause major mishaps at interstate speeds. So I need to get the front and back off of the ground. Is there an easy way to get it up on to the center stand? That will help for some stuff. I can't seem to do it even with help. I have a Harbor Freight M/C Jack, willingness and ingenuity! :fingers-crossed-emo
Getting onto the center stand can be a bit difficult. It takes some strength but mostly it is a technique. What I do from the side stand is step on the center stand pedal so the left side hits the ground then rock the bike up so the right side of the center stand is down too. Here is where the technique comes in, while pushing down on the pedal lift up on the left passenger hand rail while rocking backwards. This uses your body weight on the pedal as a lever and your leg muscles to help lift the bike. Takes some practice. It's easier if you are 200 lbs and strong but I've been told even little people can do it but probably they will need to refine the technique. To start with, it is just hard to do. I hear it really helps to drive the bike onto a piece of 2x6 before trying to do the lift. However, never having done it this way I suspect you might also want to have a second piece of 2x6 to put under the side stand in order to keep the bike from tilting way over.

To lift the bike with an MC jack, roll it under from either side depending on which side you want to work on then jack it up. The trick here is to find the balance point. The arms will contact the header pipes which is OK. To get a balance, I think the back arm of the jack should be just in front of the center stand.

Getting it on the center stand will be easier if you fully air up the shocks before you try.

The problem you're going to have with the jack is the engine and pipes drop below the frame. You'll need to come up with some creative shims to lift it on up.

camos comment is spot on. To make it (Maybe) a bit easier to picture think of it as trying to push the center stand through the floor instead of trying to lift the bike. I pretty much lock my arm and stand on the center stand.

Disclaimer: I am 5'11" and 215 so it may be easier for me.

After you get it on the center stand, you can service the things you have planned one end at a time. On the center stand, the rear wheel will be off the ground, so servicing the back is easy. However, there is another trick that's nice to know.....To get the back tire off while the bike is just on the center stand you have to either remove the rear fender (4 bolts) OR you can lift the bike a little higher. Now, I will also say that I'm not small, but Mk I bikes are easier to get on the center stand than MK II's. MK II's are heavier in the back because of the bigger bags and trunk and the rear crash bar is different and harder to grab. On your MK I, if you take the travel trunk and saddle bags off, it will be a bit easier to get on the center stand. With your left hand, grab the left handle bar grip. With your right, grab the left-rear crash bar. With your right foot, push the center stand down, and when you get to the point that the center stand touches, rock the bike a little left and right to make sure you have the bike level and both legs on the center stand are touching the ground. As you have been told, just push the center stand through the garage floor and the bike will be on the center stand. To avoid removing the rear fender on a MK I, I put a 3" piece of wood on the ground and put the center stand on it. Then my son and I (one on each side) lift the bike on the center stand. This way there is enough height to remove the tire without removing the rear fender.

After you are finished with the rear, you can do the front. With the bike on the center stand (for this you want the center stand on the garage floor, not on the wood) take a small scrap of wood, and a floor jack or a bottle jack. Just behind the oil filter, use the scrap piece of wood between the oil pan and the jack, and then lift the front of the bike. I raise the front until the rear tire is on the ground because the bike will be more stable.

:parrots: Got it! Lighten the load, get some help and then it's mostly technique and a bunch of @$$!.

Be careful of the pipes when using MC jack. Use blocks, hockey pucks, whatever.

"Nothin' to it... But to do it!"

Thanks guys.

Leave it to the "other type" to condense 7 posts down to the basics... :happy65:

:rotf::rotfl: