IGNORED

Wanting to put an RSV trunk on my RSTD

Wanting to put an RSV Trunk on my 2006 RSTD . Looking at a 99 venture trunk. Thinking it will fit? Will a 2nd gen oem trunk support fit the 99 RSV trunk and my 06 RSTD. The trunk I'm looking at will need a little repair and new paint to match my bike and is pretty expensive. I am aware of the aftermarket trunks and wompus rack, but just don't like the looks. If any one knows of a RSV Trunk for sale anywhere, I'd be interested.

Wanting to put an RSV Trunk on my 2006 RSTD . Looking at a 99 venture trunk. Thinking it will fit? Will a 2nd gen oem trunk support fit the 99 RSV trunk and my 06 RSTD. The trunk I'm looking at will need a little repair and new paint to match my bike and is pretty expensive. I am aware of the aftermarket trunks and wompus rack, but just don't like the looks. If any one knows of a RSV Trunk for sale anywhere, I'd be interested.

Check my pic's under classifieds my bike for sale I put a 1500 goldwing trunk on and painted to match. total cost about $800

Joe

Hi Ken.

The support bracket and the trunk, regardless of year (from 1999 to present) will fit together. These items have not been updated by any means. Fitting the trunk and support bracket to your bike is not going to be a problem. You might have to drill one hole in your fender chrome rail for the trunk support bracket and thats it.

I am in the process of having this installed on my 1998 Royal Star Tour Classic.

You are right about the cost of the trunks and most of them come from Pinwall Cycles in Ohio. The problem has been that they dismantle them and sell them almost piece by piece but I have recently seen them selling the whole unit as one on eBay.

Be aware of trunks that need a lot of work or need some new parts. The cost can go up pretty fast if you have extensive repair and parts to buy on top of that.

Wish you well with your project.

Friendly regards,

Jonas

Hi Ken.

The support bracket and the trunk, regardless of year (from 1999 to present) will fit together. These items have not been updated by any means. Fitting the trunk and support bracket to your bike is not going to be a problem. You might have to drill one hole in your fender chrome rail for the trunk support bracket and thats it.

I am in the process of having this installed on my 1998 Royal Star Tour Classic.

You are right about the cost of the trunks and most of them come from Pinwall Cycles in Ohio. The problem has been that they dismantle them and sell them almost piece by piece but I have recently seen them selling the whole unit as one on eBay.

Be aware of trunks that need a lot of work or need some new parts. The cost can go up pretty fast if you have extensive repair and parts to buy on top of that.

Wish you well with your project.

Friendly regards,

Jonas

I agree with almost everything stated here, with one exception. You will not be able to just drill a hole in your chrome fender rails because the front mount holes line up precisely where your removable backrest locking pins are. Some have cut off the pins, others (like myself) have replaced the RSTD fender rails with RSV rails, which are direct bolt-on replacements. In either case, you lose the ability to easily swap between trunk & backrest.

Good luck.

Glenn

I agree with almost everything stated here, with one exception. You will not be able to just drill a hole in your chrome fender rails because the front mount holes line up precisely where your removable backrest locking pins are. Some have cut off the pins, others (like myself) have replaced the RSTD fender rails with RSV rails, which are direct bolt-on replacements. In either case, you lose the ability to easily swap between trunk & backrest.

Good luck.

Glenn

You got me there Glenn !

My 1998 Tour Classic does not have the removable backrest so there is no pin. Forgot that the newer Tour DeLux have them. Was and am not sure if the Venture side rails have the same bolt patterns as the older Royal Stars but good to know that it is the same as the newer Royal Stars. Good info - stored in the data bank :)

Ride safe,

Jonas

Good luck.

Glenn

Thank-you Jonas and Glen for the verifying what I think I knew. I am not concerned about having the ability convert back and fourth or have the quick release. Thinking I'm gonna like the trunk pretty well. So the install should be pretty simple. $800.00 for the trunk plus paint and about $300 for the venture trunk support rack. $1200.00 investment is a lot, but love my RSTD and see myself with it for years to come.

Thank-you Jonas and Glen for the verifying what I think I knew. I am not concerned about having the ability convert back and fourth or have the quick release. Thinking I'm gonna like the trunk pretty well. So the install should be pretty simple. $800.00 for the trunk plus paint and about $300 for the venture trunk support rack. $1200.00 investment is a lot, but love my RSTD and see myself with it for years to come.

I DOOO understand you wanting to put some money in your bike to make it more comfortable and special. I am doing the same with my USA based 1998 Tour Classic with some other mods and have put quite a lot of money in it. I had the engine V-Maxed with V-Max cams and 32mm Venture carbs, Dyna Ignition Module, R1 brake calipers and master cylinder, baron engine guards, V-Max drive hub, upgraded clutch and the list goes on. The money I have put into the bike is more than I care to think about but I do not regret it.

I have been asked why I did not just buy a Venture instead. Well I do have a Venture that I bought to use while my 98 was under construction but wanted a more sportier bike that would handle better at low speeds riding two up. Also I like riding something that is somewhat special. Don´t get me wrong, I love my Venture but it is just a different type of a bike.

Still have not put the trunk on - Gonna have it painted this winter and installed - (no I am not lazy, it is just very costly and timeconsuming travelling from Iceland to USA to do this). So my friend BigTom is the keeper off the bike and is helping with finishing this project. Coming over in August 2013 to take it for a spin,after spin,after spin,after spin,,,,:)

All the best with your project and remember to post some pictures when you are done.

Jonas