IGNORED

battier ground

I installed a new battery, about three weeks ago, but I never rode it, It just sat in the garage, this whole time. I rode it Sunday, Put about 120 miles on it. on the way home, (about 6 miles out) the radio shut off. and the bike finally died, as I made my turn for the house. It rolled to my driveway.

13.2 volts is way too low--your battery can hardly charge. The Gen 1 spec. is 14.5 plus or minus .5 volts @ 3000 RPM. Most usually are about 14.2, and my 89 is 14.43V. As I remember, the 2nd Gen spec. is 14.1-14.9 @ 3000 RPM. Seeing that you don't have a tachometer, 3000 RPM is a medium engine speed, or about what you have going down the road. Idle voltage isn't part of the specification, but my 89 is probably about 14.0@ idle. The 2nd gens might be a little lower @ idle, due to the driving lights being ON.

Frank D.

Don't just change the regulator, because the regulator is probably the most reliable part of the charging system. First inspect the plugs that connect the regulator to the stator and bike wiring, looking for burnt connections (discolored). If that's OK, check the stator. There are a lot of articles here about checking the stator. Make sure you also check it go ground though.....a lot of stators become grounded, and they are ungrounded. This reduces the output. If the stator is good, then you probably need a regulator, but I've also written several times how to check the regulator.

http://venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=70288&highlight=regulator

Frank D.