IGNORED

How do I get the left fork tube off???

How do I get the left fork tube off my 2007 RSTD? I took the 2 pinch bolts out of the top, and removed 2 allen bolts at the middle that looked like they were holding the middle cover on, but no budging. Is there something else?

Seems like there should be more to it than that, but the aluminum covers/protectors don't allow me to see anything else.

Thanks

Jeff, You're right, it does sound a lot easier. However, heres the scenario I'm facing. I looked all over this city yesterday, and all over the internet for a kit, I've been to numbers of auto parts stores, motorcycle shops, hardware stores, and machine shops, and while I've found plenty of Helicoil kits, nobody has the kit that fits the threads on the axle (M18 x 1.50).

The company I work for (Grainger) sells every Helicoil kit you can imagine, except the size I need is a special order, and would not get to me until Monday or Tuesday of next week. NAPA sells them, but it's the same special order situation, Autozone doesn't sell them, and O'Reilly's has a kit for $200.00 that has 24 inserts in it. I don't need 23 extra coils.

Late yesterday, I found a reputable machine shop that has the kit, and they will install it for $50.00 if I just bring them the fork tube.

So.......That's where I'm at.

We are leaving the end of next week on a 4000 mile, 12 day ride, and I am wanting to get this installed quick, so I can put some miles on it before I leave, just to test it.

Thanks,

Lynn

I am looking at this from a Venture - not sure if the RSTD is the same.

There is a tapered cover over the lower tree/fork joint. You have to remove both forks from the upper triple tree (remove handle bars first). The upper tapered cover will then come off exposing the fork clamp bolts for the lower tree.

This could be completely wrong since it is from memory - and from removing forks from a Venture.

Good luck.

RR

Got a call from O'Reilly's after I posted this morning and they said they had misquoted me. The kit is $105.00 instead of $220.00. It still has 24 springs with it though, 23 of which I'll never use. I stopped by and looked at it. I think I'm gonna go ahead and buy it and do the job tonight. I don't really want to wait until Tuesday of next week to have the machine shop do it. I want the bike for this weekend to test ride and get it ready for our trip.

Flyin, I knew that MSC had the kit, but I just couldn't entertain the thought of ordering something from a company that is hands down one of my company's top arch rivals. No matter how bad I need it. LOL. Grainger, MSC, Fastenal, McMaster Carr.....it's a vicious competitive world between us, and being a sales rep for Grainger, I can't really cross that line. Don't think I didn't think about it. LOL.

My first thought is to use the kit, then sell it on EBay, but I'm not going to do that. I'll just keep it in case someone else on this site needs to borrow it in the future.

Now that you mention it, you could have probably found the kit on ebay with 1 or 2 coils missing.

Just check to see if the O'Reilly's has the drill bit in the kit. The lower priced kits normally don't.

Flyin, I knew that MSC had the kit, but I just couldn't entertain the thought of ordering something from a company that is hands down one of my company's top arch rivals. No matter how bad I need it. LOL. Grainger, MSC, Fastenal, McMaster Carr.....it's a vicious competitive world between us, and being a sales rep for Grainger, I can't really cross that line. Don't think I didn't think about it. LOL.

I guess I never considered all of those as competitors, they each have their specialties and I buy from all.

You'll need to drill the old threads to make the hole the right size to fit the new tap that comes in the kit. Otherwise you'll never get the threads right to install the coil properly then you are right back where you started, no threads to hold your axle.

:sign yeah that::sign yeah that::sign yeah that:

Buy the cheapest drill bit you can find in either 18.25mm or 23/32 inch (.719 inch).

You may have to get a reduced shank bit to fit your drill.

It only has to last for one hole in aluminum.

Use oil on the tap while tapping.

Clean all of the oil out after tapping and before installing the coil.

Thanks to everyone for all the advice and suggestions.

Installed the Helicoil yesterday afternoon, and it worked perfectly. I solicited the help of my cousin who, as I stated before, is a veteran machinist who has installed hundreds, possibly thousands of these in his 35 year career. He is also a BMW motorcyclist, and understands the importance of it being done right. My kit didn't come with a drill bit, however, he insured me that in this case he felt like the tapered tap would cut perfectly clean threads. I let him do the work, while I basically became his nurse handing him tools and such. He was correct about the threads. They were perfectly cut, and the spring installed beautifully. Actually, since the springs were only 1/2 inch long, he installed two of them to fill the whole thread space.

After letting the Loctite set overnight, I will remount the wheel this afternoon.

Thanks again so much for all of your help. Because of your calm advice, I went from scatterbrain panic to quiet confidence in completing this challenge.

Love it when a plan comes together......

I was going to mention putting in 2 coils to fill the hole but forgot, I have done that many times.

Yes you can sometimes get away with not drilling the stripped threads out depending on what the hole looks like. It is just safer to use the drill if you are not skilled on the "feel" of a properly cutting tap.

Any oil is better than dry, I use a cutting oil specifically made for threading aluminum. In a pinch I have used a drop of motor oil from the bottom of the engine dip stick, not the best but still better than nothing.