IGNORED

rear wheel dampener bushings....

Has anyone here removed the rubber dampeners from their rear RSV wheel? Im not talking about the fingers but the actual rubber bushings that sit in the wheel. Just got my chrome wheels back and the rubber was destroyed. Any ideas??

So, what your saying is to just break the bond? Im guessing the steel sleeve stays in the rim itself. What would be the best way to remove the whole dampener?

Just ordered the dampeners from Parts Shark for 10.96 apiece.

the steel collar stays with the rubber and removes from the rim.

take a large bolt or a tire iron and put into the center of the bushing and pry it side to side and the whole piece will come out of the rim.

i could take a picture of a new set of the bushings that i have on the bench if you wish?

i could send a cell phone pic?

OK, so I dont know just how much moving around you guys did with your bolts but I spent 1 hour on one dampener with no success. I even tried cutting the rubber in half and managed to get 1/2 piece out but the metal sleeve is in there pretty good. Looks like its dremel time to cut the sleeve.

I think maybe a slide hammer and an inside race puller would work to get them out. It took a hammer and an appropriate size socket to seat mine in a little further (See the Rear End noise Hub pin greasing TSB in Tech section). They are press fit so I don't see them coming out with bolt wiggling myself.

You have any chrome holding them in by chance? You should have a visible bevel machined in the wheel around the OD of the outer sleeve for the bushing. The top of the bushing should be pressed in flush with the bottom of the bevel. If there is chrome on the beveled part, it could be adding a few thousands lip you have to get by.

RSTDdog

Guest tx2sturgis

You gonna put some of that safety chrome on the drive hub and driveshaft?

Or maybe powdercoated black or a color to match the bike would look sharp.

Just sayin. :happy34:

Ordered the 6 dampeners from Parts Shark and the box arrived today. Too bad there were 3 dampeners missing. I notified Parts Shark by email since they were closed today. I just hope they ship them out real fast. Im getting anxious about getting this bike back together. Its been over a year since I rode it.

Im going to hit the old ones with a blind hole puller and see what happens. Or maybe a sawzall with a metal blade.

Got the remaining 3 dampeners in today. Im wrapping up some stuff that I have been doing on the Mustang and ill start working on the RSV in earnest next week, going for a late July return to the road date.

On another note: I am still waiting for Chrome Pros to make the adjustment to my credit card. Spoke to them on Friday and Ben assured me it would get done today. Still no credit. Like I said, nice wheels but their customer service sucks. There was no reason to hot tank these wheels with the dampeners installed, thereby ruining them. The time that I am now wasting removing the damaged ones is really pissing me off.

It sure sux when things like this happen. We just had $40k of work done on our house with some mixed results because the contractor got distracted with personal business during the project. Sound of grinding teeth.

Anyways, wishing you some zen moments of bliss.