IGNORED

My clutch is starting to not disengage.....again....

Well, it all started towards the end of last season (which was the beginning of October for me because of my wedding and then spinal surgery). I got my progressive springs in, replaced the upper and lower twinkie "o"-rings, re-sealed the output shaft, and flushed and bled the clutch and all brake systems. Towards the end of last season the clutch was disengaging about 1/4" off of the handlebars if not closer. Was having a hard time finding neutral and downshifting. Once I did all of the above maintenance this year (may) I bled the clutch. I had the bike inspected last weekend, passed 100%. Now today, after I visited with my grandmother on the way home I had the similar clutch symptoms as last year (hard downshifting, can't find neutral with the engine running, squishy clutch pull and disengaging right at the handlebar, only now its actually dragging at stop lights and putting a load on the engine. What gives, is my clutch master finally giving out? Can I take this time to upgrade to a newer clutch master cylinder off of a vmax or royale star? Any insight? Thanks.

My bet would be possibly the master cylinder if you completely bled the system last year. If your going to keep the bike, and you dont want to screw with it again. Buy a new clutch slave cylinder and rebuild the master cylinder and your problems, will more than likely, will be gone for many years....

:2cents:

Squidley,

I just bled the clutch this year last month and I am already back to the same clutch I had last year. Only now its getting worse real fast.

Forgot to say I will probably be buried with this bike lol.

Personally I would go the route of rebuilding the master and replacing the slave cylinders. I actually did that earlier this year on the '86 I own, as well as a complete clutch rebuild with new friction discs and steel plates. It's great piece of mind knowing that it's taken care of and you wont have to worry about it again.

I know that you cleaned out your fluid last year and just rebled the system a short time ago,however I have had a similar experience to yours that required going thru the process a couple of times before it stabilized and would go a long time not needing attention.I can't tell you why but that seemed to work without rebuilding everything.Something to try anyway before you spend real money.

It is also not that uncommon that if you still have the original lines from the master to the slave that the line is inflating like a balloon and using up all of the fluid/pressure sent by the master.

Upgrading to SS lines for both clutch and brakes is on my short list of projects.

I jst need to decide if I want to delink or not. But that is a different thread.

if bleeding the lines helps at all. Then air is getting in "somehow". Rebuild or replacement of master and slave is the likely cure. I had my hose go bad. Where it bends at the steering neck. And blocking the internals of the hose. That caused stiff pull and dragging clutch. A 20+ year old hose can go bad...you know. I changed to SS braided. no more worries now.

I bled about 2 months ago and resovoir is now nearly empty.

Is there any vendor that is recommended for purchase of the clutch slave cylinder.

Thanks,

Ross

Ross,

I purchased my parts and rebuild kits from Yamaha Sports Plaza http://www.ysppart.com/ Their prices are very competitive and I have had great customer service from them. Pioneer in NY http://www.pioneermotorsport.com/default.asp also do very good by us, they actually had a display stand at Freebirds 2011 MD in Ohio.