IGNORED

25,000 miles in 25 consecutive days

Dragonslayer

This weekend it is a 1,200 mile ride for me from Atlanta to St Mary's Ga. and back. The plan is to ride down tomorrow morning spend the night and then on Sunday morning lead the St Mary's Eagle Riders (As Ga State FOE Eagle Rider Ride Coordinator) to the Florida, Ga state line to meet and welcome Darrel Rall as he enters Ga on his 25,000 mile ride in 25 consecutive days to raise $15,000,000 dollars for the diabetes research center at the university of Iowa.

Check out his mission/ project and real time coverage of his ride at www.ironeagle.org

By the way, any riders that would like to ride or catch up and participate are welcome. just PM me.:7_6_3[1]:

I am asking this politely, and in no way do I mean to disparage anyone. I saw your post, clicked on the link for the website for the proposed ride, and in several places it states that this ride...the 25,000 mile ride in 25 days is going to be a World Record breaking ride, and that the folks from Guiness World Records are going to be present to verify and validate this as a World Record.

Again, I say this politely, but...Hmmm... are you sure?

I ask that because there are a few of us that are listed on the IronButt Association website as having completed and been certified as having ridden over 30,000 miles in 30 days, and one guy that did slightly over 31,000 miles in 31 days. I say he is a wanker :), because I currently hold the record for the most miles ridden in 30 days, at 30,681 miles. The 30 day ride was the original format, as it was called...The Longest Month.

Also, Guiness no longer validates and certifies rides like these...I know...because a few of us have done the Prudhoe Bay, Alaska to Key West, Florida in under 4 days, and Guiness has informed the powers-that-be in the IBA that long distance speed rides are no longer listed.

I ask you...PLEASE do not take this as a rant on my part. I just think that someone has the wrong info, and while it is GREAT that the rider is raising money for such a good cause, I think advertising it as a World Record breaking attempt is far fetched, and using the term...Ironbutt...on his website could have the powers-that-be of the IBA contacting him to ask him to please stop doing that. ( I know...been there...done that)

Good to hear this since some of my family has Diabetes Tell him thank you when you see him:)

Mile Rider

I see you have a lot of miles under your belt sounds like fun so when you did these long distance runs where did your donations go to?

I am asking this politely, and in no way do I mean to disparage anyone. I saw your post, clicked on the link for the website for the proposed ride, and in several places it states that this ride...the 25,000 mile ride in 25 days is going to be a World Record breaking ride, and that the folks from Guiness World Records are going to be present to verify and validate this as a World Record.

I ask that because there are a few of us that are listed on the IronButt Association website as having completed and been certified as having ridden over 30,000 miles in 30 days, and one guy that did slightly over 31,000 miles in 31 days. I say he is a wanker :), because I currently hold the record for the most miles ridden in 30 days, at 30,681 miles. The 30 day ride was the original format, as it was called...The Longest Month.

Also, Guiness no longer validates and certifies rides like these...I know...because a few of us have done the Prudhoe Bay, Alaska to Key West, Florida in under 4 days, and Guiness has informed the powers-that-be in the IBA that long distance speed rides are no longer listed.

I ask you...PLEASE do not take this as a rant on my part. I just think that someone has the wrong info, and while it is GREAT that the rider is raising money for such a good cause, I think advertising it as a World Record breaking attempt is far fetched, and using the term...Ironbutt...on his website could have the powers-that-be of the IBA contacting him to ask him to please stop doing that. ( I know...been there...done that)

And after all those miles your rideing an RSTD !!!! Hmmmm, I guess I made the correct decission this week, when buying my New ! RSTD !! :whistling:

a few of us have done the Prudhoe Bay, Alaska to Key West, Florida in under 4 days

I'm trying to get my mind to accept the fact that a human being can ride from Prudhoe Bay to Key West in 4 days... How many Dairy Queen stops is that?

and Guiness has informed the powers-that-be in the IBA that long distance speed rides are no longer listed.

Probably don't want to be seen as encouraging people to pretend they are doing a movie style Cannonball Run

etc..

I'll be curious to see what kind of seat mod (if any) you finally settle on for the RSTD. I have both an RSTD and an 00 RSV, and like the old style RSV seat with Butler mod, slightly better. And prefer the RSV stock seating postion slightly better.

I have wondered about the solo seat available for the RSTD and would love to borrow one for a long ride some time, just to try out.

Back to origonal post. Bob. looks like you're going to have good weather for your ride. Did you get a new front tire put on the RSV??? It was looking mightly thin after we got back from MD.

HMMMMMMM......Interesting point..... I really would not argue it because I do not know nor have I made that claim..... It sounds like you know and I believe I would ask that question of the IronEagle folks.........or at least they should clarify thier claim.

I'm doing it for the cause not the glory. Hurts my butt to think about it.

What I really want to know is how do I get my IB saddlesore 1000 patch. I've got 1200 document from Amarillio to Atlanta in 24 hours.

Okay, here goes...

Buddy, in answer to your question about what did I do with all those donations? The ride I did in May, 2003 to break the record for the most miles ridden in 30 days (the Longest Month) was done without asking for donations from the public. So the answerr is...there were no donations to turn in to anyone. I did have several corporate sponsors for all my rides in 2003, and I was setting serval records that year, while I rode the 107,781 miles in that one year. That is the final number that the IBA gave me credit for, after all their mapping computations. My odometer showed 109,785, but after corrections...well...the IBA has the last word.

GeorgeS, as to why I am now riding a 2006 RSMTD rather than another Wing...after all those Wings, and all those miles on Wings, I wanted to go back to a bike I had previously owned, an '06 RSMTD, and I really like the looks, the engine, and all the tech specs of this bike.

RandyR, yes there are a lot of Dairy Queens between Alaska and Florida...I lost count of how many. I have (tried) to stop going to DQ, as I am (trying) to lose a few pounds.

As for the seat I will settle on...very good point abnd qiestion.

I am currentlu using the OEM seat. That will change next week. My new Ultimate seat will be delivered next Thursday. It is perfect timing as I have a ride down to Auburn, CA. planned the folloowing week. The Ultimate seat company gives a rider 14 days to try out their new seat, and if I do not like it, then I can contact them for a return of the seat.

Coincidentally, I also happen to already have an appointment to have Russell Day Long Saddles built me a new seat for this bike. That appointment was made months ago. Getting an in-person appointment at Russell is about 3 to 4 months in advance. If the new Ultimate seat does not work for me, then I will send it back to them, and ride down to northern Cal. to have Russell bult me a new seat. I can tell you...this will be my 10th seat built by Russell over the years, and when they build a seat for me, I am guaranteed that the seat will be perfection.

AtlantaDragonSlayer, I have actual;ly sent a post directly to the people in charge of the ride this gentleman is doing. Let me say again, I want him to do the ride, I support him, and in fact have sent in money for his cause. Go forth and do it. Just don't call it a record ride when it is more than 5,000 miles short of the record. Yes, I said all this to them. And, I have sent all this to the president of the IBA, and he has looked into it, and he is also contacting them.

Now, your question about how does one qualify for an Ironbutt Association Saddlesore 1000 ? It is all about doing the ride, and having someone witness your paperwork at the start and finish of the ride. There are hundreds or thousands of us that have done these rides and are now volunteers to be witnesses for others that want to do them. I have dozens of witness forms in my office, and I am happy to get up in the middle of the night (if there is a Dairy Queen near by) to witness any riders effort. Amd...there are many, many people all around this country that will do the same for you. You can also get a police officer or a fireman to witness the forms. Go to the IBA website...www.ironbutt.com you will find all the info you want, or simply ask me in a PM. Having ridden and completed mkore than 150 of these Saddelesore 1000's, and more than 100 of the Bunburner 1500's and more than 50 of the Bunburner Gold 1500's and several times of riding more than 2000 miles in 24 hours (yes, it has been done), I encourage people to challenge themselves and their bikes against the clock and the distance to see how far and long they can go.

This type of riding is NOT for everyone. It is slightly twisted, and if done wrong...your brain gets twisted. If IBA style riding is not for you, then simply ride...enjoy life...and visit all those Dairy Queens between Alaska and Florida.

Well as of this minute Darrell is near Tallahasse heading this way on I 10. when he crosses the state line we are supposed to meet him at the welcome center and ride with him to up I95 to Savannah. Then I'm turning north on 16 to Atlanta.

Coming down here I rode Hwy 23 from Macon to St Mary's. Which coincedently is the same rode Randy R and I rode to columbus, Ohio for Don's maintenace day and back. so in the past two weeks I have seen every foot of Hwy 23 from Atl To Columbus and back then Atl to furthest southeast corner of Ga on the coast.:7_6_3[1]:A lot of time on the same road for me.

I wouldn't dream of questioning an authority on the subject and I only ask this to find out the truth but,,,,,,,Are you sure? It appears that both the Guinness Book of world records and the Iron Butt Association are sanctioning and sponsoring this ride. I would be interested in finding out exactly what the case actually is.

I wouldn't dream of questioning an authority on the subject and I only ask this to find out the truth but,,,,,,,Are you sure? It appears that both the Guinness Book of world records and the Iron Butt Association are sanctioning and sponsoring this ride. I would be interested in finding out exactly what the case actually is.

I know for a fact that the IronButt Association is not sanctioning this ride, because I have been in direct contact with the president of the IBA, and after several posts back and forth, he not only reminded me (which I have already stated in a previous post) that Guinness no longer validates and certifies these types of distance/time rides, but that the IBA will be sending a post to the officials of this 25K in 25 day ride, asking them to PLEASE stop referring to this as an Iron Butt ride. They do not have the authorization to do so, and...asking for permission AFTER the ride has been advertised as such, is closing the barn door after the horses have escaped.

I know that this is not your doing AtlantaDragonSlayer, and I know you were just passing on the news of someone doing a very worthy ride, for a worthy cause. I salute you for that, and again, I really hope the rider is successful in his endeavor.

My only real issue is the proclamation that it is a record breaking or record setting ride, and that it is an Iron Butt ride. I am NOT an official from the IBA. I know all the officials, and they all know me. I am close to the president, and my responsibility to him is to report issues like this to him, so that he can take the correct action.

But, having said that...one of the records this rider is claiming to be breaking happens to be mine. I take exception to that...when he will be at least 5,000 miles short of my record.

I know for a fact that the IronButt Association is not sanctioning this ride, because I have been in direct contact with the president of the IBA, and after several posts back and forth, he not only reminded me (which I have already stated in a previous post) that Guinness no longer validates and certifies these types of distance/time rides, but that the IBA will be sending a post to the officials of this 25K in 25 day ride, asking them to PLEASE stop referring to this as an Iron Butt ride. They do not have the authorization to do so, and...asking for permission AFTER the ride has been advertised as such, is closing the barn door after the horses have escaped.

I know that this is not your doing AtlantaDragonSlayer, and I know you were just passing on the news of someone doing a very worthy ride, for a worthy cause. I salute you for that, and again, I really hope the rider is successful in his endeavor.

My only real issue is the proclamation that it is a record breaking or record setting ride, and that it is an Iron Butt ride. I am NOT an official from the IBA. I know all the officials, and they all know me. I am close to the president, and my responsibility to him is to report issues like this to him, so that he can take the correct action.

But, having said that...one of the records this rider is claiming to be breaking happens to be mine. I take exception to that...when he will be at least 5,000 miles short of my record.

I'm not saying I'm just saying if you go to his web site and look under the tab for partners and sponsors the Iron Butt Association is clearly listed as a sponsor.

Any way I did my part for the Eagle Riders of Ga and chased him from the Ga line to Savannah then headed north to Atlanta. My ride today was probably less than half of what his ride is today because on last check he still riding in NC now. I'm beat and can only wonder how he is holding up.

Okay, here goes...

Now, your question about how does one qualify for an Ironbutt Association Saddlesore 1000 ? It is all about doing the ride, and having someone witness your paperwork at the start and finish of the ride. There are hundreds or thousands of us that have done these rides and are now volunteers to be witnesses for others that want to do them. I have dozens of witness forms in my office, and I am happy to get up in the middle of the night (if there is a Dairy Queen near by) to witness any riders effort. Amd...there are many, many people all around this country that will do the same for you. You can also get a police officer or a fireman to witness the forms. Go to the IBA website...www.ironbutt.com you will find all the info you want, or simply ask me in a PM. Having ridden and completed mkore than 150 of these Saddelesore 1000's, and more than 100 of the Bunburner 1500's and more than 50 of the Bunburner Gold 1500's and several times of riding more than 2000 miles in 24 hours (yes, it has been done), I encourage people to challenge themselves and their bikes against the clock and the distance to see how far and long they can go.

Just a slight clarification to this post - you don't need any 'IBA qualified' witnesses for a SS1000. That is only needed for the more extreme rides. Witnesses for the SS1000 can be anyone including your spouse/friend/mailman/gas jockey at the local station. The only qualification is they must allow being contacted to verify the validity of their witnessing. The requirements are spelled out in the IB website.

RR

Just a slight clarification to this post - you don't need any 'IBA qualified' witnesses for a SS1000. That is only needed for the more extreme rides. Witnesses for the SS1000 can be anyone including your spouse/friend/mailman/gas jockey at the local station. The only qualification is they must allow being contacted to verify the validity of their witnessing. The requirements are spelled out in the IB website.

RR

Red Rider, you are 100 % correct in that clarification. It has been so long since I did my first SS1000, that I am used to witnessing other riders forms, or using police or forefighters as my own witnesses.

Thank you for that clarification. When you're right...you're right.

I'm not saying I'm just saying if you go to his web site and look under the tab for partners and sponsors the Iron Butt Association is clearly listed as a sponsor.

AtlantaDragonSlayer, at this point, after much communication and verification with the principle officials at the IBA, I have been informed that the IBA is 100 % certain that they are not a sponsor or partner of this ride, and that the IBA has extremely serious doubts as to whether the AMA and the Guinness W.R. have any affiliation with this ride. It is not uncommon for a person, in any facet of society, to embellish upon their standing or purpose, to further themself in the action of their cause.

Furthermore, I have been informed to say nothing further on the subject, because it has now become a legal matter between the IBA and the organization representing the rider of the 25k in 25 days.

Thank you, and I shall say no more on the subject.