IGNORED

1st Gen MKI vs. MKII hitch..

KIC

I think they are different but don't remember how. I have one somewhere from MKI. I think... I remember seeing something about it. I have one from a MKII if I can remember to pay for it one of these days before he sells it again.

I believe it may be depending on who made it and HOW it is mounted. Some MkI hitches like Markland attach to the back of the passenger peg bracket which is totally different on a MkII. My hitch on the other hand (don't know who made it) attaches to the frame so may work on a MkII as well as on my MkI.

This one mounted to the frame just below the seat in the rear and at the middle to upper front as shown below. It also doesn't look home made. Everything is nicely bent and welded well and fits together. If it is custom made, they did a nice job. It just looks like possible a very early original. It is off of an 83.

Here's how my MKII goes on:

After putting your bike onto the center stand, you will need to remove both the left and right saddlebags.

Next remove the plastic cover just under the rear of the seat.

This is held on with two phillips screws.

You will need to remove the bolt where the seat frame, main frame and saddle bag chrome guards all attach.

The long bars attach to the bike at this point.

You will need to slightly pry apart where the main and seat frames come together, then slip the flat part of the long bar between.

The long bars will then be parallel to the mufflers, with the curved part angled inwards.

The short bar attaches to the bolt just under the seat, and to the very front hole of the long bar.

The medium bar attaches at a 45 degree angle to the third hole back, and then to the under seat bolt.