IGNORED

Nice cost effective radio replacement

stanG

I found this little marine radio when looking for something to replace my stock radio in the VR. The radio is the Prospec Electronics MIL-PRV15. It is a compact all aluminum watertight housing that fits in a 3" round hole and is held in place by a U-shaped bracket from the back. The amp is 40W x 4 and has plenty of power to light up the stock speakers. You also have the ability to plug in a USB flash drive with your favorite MP3's as a source or use the AUX in jacks. Prospec also makes a moisture proof USB-AUX jack that I opted for to bring the USB and AUX jacks to the radio panel. I grabbed the radio for $99.95 at overtons.com. I got the remote jack at the company's website for another $20 plus shipping.

http://www.prospecelectronics.com/product_info.php?products_id=136

The LED switch in the lower right is connected to a DPDT relay that routes the output to either the speakers or to the headset cable. I also added a 20dB pad (diagram on request) to the headset output to limit the volume to the headset.

I really like this radio/amp! Thanks for the post!

I'm on an '05 RSTD with Handle bar speakers. The amp is just shoved/crammed in the lower right cowling, which I am not happy with. I have it all wired to an mp3 player that is on a ram mount cradle near my left handle bar controls. I'm also not happy with that setup as its hard to control the volume and change the station/song with gloves on. It also feels gimmicky just floating around there..

Once I get some spare money to burn I think I will get one of these and mount it beside my retro tachometer. What is great is that this unit will fit into the same mounting cup as my tach. This should keep things nice and clean and easy to use. I'll post a pic once I get around to doing this.

http://i924.photobucket.com/albums/ad85/phertwo/retro%20tachometer/IMG_8552.jpg

http://i924.photobucket.com/albums/ad85/phertwo/retro%20tachometer/IMG_8553.jpg

The radio does not come with an antenna. I used the stock antenna on my 83. The radio does have scan and mute but you would have to open it up and modify it to get it to work. There are no stock connections to remotely control those functions.

This is without a doubt one of the best finds in my mind. It put me to thinking about replacing rhe entire system. Use an Autocom intercom and a bit of rewiring. I can see the following:

An additional set of speakers in the rear.

Autocom set up with headsets

Switch to turn off speakers and send to headsets (line out converter needed)

CB wired to the Autocom using original PTT

My Garmin with XM put to the aux. input of the radio.

I have been looking at the Autocom SPA set-up and wishing for the correct radio. Thought about eliminating the radio totally but it comes in handy. And this one has

4 speaker output.

Many thanks for the post.

JB

Could be just a bit too late at night or my normal thick headedness but would you mind clarifying just what you got there? The link is to a remote and you got the radio somewhere else or is it to a complete radio? On the same site I found these two items which also looked interestingly economical.

I found this little marine radio when looking for something to replace my stock radio in the VR. The radio is the Prospec Electronics MIL-PRV15. It is a compact all aluminum watertight housing that fits in a 3" round hole and is held in place by a U-shaped bracket from the back. The amp is 40W x 4 and has plenty of power to light up the stock speakers. You also have the ability to plug in a USB flash drive with your favorite MP3's as a source or use the AUX in jacks. Prospec also makes a moisture proof USB-AUX jack that I opted for to bring the USB and AUX jacks to the radio panel. I grabbed the radio for $99.95 at overtons.com. I got the remote jack at the company's website for another $20 plus shipping.

http://www.prospecelectronics.com/product_info.php?products_id=136

The LED switch in the lower right is connected to a DPDT relay that routes the output to either the speakers or to the headset cable. I also added a 20dB pad (diagram on request) to the headset output to limit the volume to the headset.

This is the entire radio. The company does also make a couple others as you point out that have a surface mounted remote control with the electronics in another housing that you can mount at another location. I was just impressed with the simplicity of this unit and its size was perfect for the stock panel.

Thanks, the info in the link did not say anything about a radio in the big print which is kinda odd. It does mention media ready though so have you tried it with an Ipod or other MP3 player? What is the sound quality like?

I have plugged in a standard USB flash drive with mp3's and it played them fine. I don't think it will play directly from an Ipod via USB, however, you could use a 3.5mm stereo patch cable to connect the headphone jack of any player or phone to the AUX input.

So you plugged the flash drive into the separate USB plug that you installed? That is nice and simple. There is probably an Ipod dock available that will allow the Ipod to be powered and connected through the AUX port. I'm not an audiophile so do not have to have great sound but do like the quality of sound from my Ipod.

• 2 months later...

The radio itself seems OK, however I am geting a little RF interfence that you can hear when the RPM's rise. I am not sure if this is coming from the antenna or if the radio itself does not have enough sheilding to keep out the RF from the coil packs. I will experimenting with a new antenna in the next couple of weeks and I'll get back to you.

Stan,

You may want to check if your interference is coming from the regulator. You can tell by running the bike at about 2,000 rpm, and noting how much noise you have. Then step on the brake pedal or turn on a turn signal, or turn on the driving lights. If the increased load decreases your interference, it's coming from the regulator. The noise in my bike sounds somewhat like ignition noise, but it's from the OEM regulator. On mine with the OEM radio, I only hear it in the headphones.

Frank D.

My 2nd gen ocassionaly picks up some engine buzz. Someone recomended trying to reposition the audio cables where they come out of the fairing and go under the tank. Works for awhile but I guess the cables find their way back. Seems more prevelant when moving around like in a parking lot or backing out of a spot. (stock radio and equip)