IGNORED

Online contests

Sideoftheroad

Anyone doing online contests? I am doing the fiat USA Facebook contest and the fox.com/Alcatraz contest for a new mustang. I missed the 1st round so working on the 2nd round. I got the the 1st answer (puzzle 16) and couldn't figure out the rest. I think of myself as a smart person but these things I haven't got a clue. Thankfully there are folks out there that have figured it out and posted the answers and explanations in most cases. Even after the answers are explained I still have no clue how to solve it after trying to reverse engineer the puzzles.

For the Alcatraz contest I found another site that had pictures of the answers. There are some that I still look at and think how in the world did people figure that out. Others I have a better understanding of and found out I was at least on the right track to solve them. This hopefully will help me with the next contest round so I won't have to rely so much on outside sources.

So I challenge others to try the www.fox.com/alcatraz win a mustang contest. You don't even have to sign up just to try the puzzles. Or try the Fiat USA Facebook contest.

Speaking of Alcatraz ... assuming that is the new weekly TV show... a lot of that is filmed right here in Vancouver ... and my son works as an extra on it .... we even saw him in some scenes a couple times ... of course, he's one of the inmates LOL

Jeff,

All of them. :-)

For the map, I knew the paper was coordinates but I figured I would see letters/numbers on the side like a map and you drew lines. I didn't figure out it was coordinates to move left, right, etc...

For the garden, the leaves were easy. Those made the border and I knew the picture on the side of the card had to touch the same picture on another card. Just couldn't get it to get everything matched up like it was supposed to.

For the dominoes, I had a basic understanding of what you were supposed to do but I think I was concentrating more on the written letters/numbers on the domino and matching that up to the number on the tray vs. the numbers in the tray was to be matched with the corresponding dominoe. i.e. 3 3 possibly meant use the domino with the 2-3's.

I knew the pencil was the key but I kept looking at it and couldn't make heads/tails of it.

On the film fiche I started by lining up # 5 but couldn't figure out what do to with it. I figured the other #'s would line up to something else also and they do just not in the way that I thought. I thought you lined up 1 # and the rest lined up.

Hadn't a clue on the safe, dead letter, calendar or chalk board.

Did you try the Fiat contest?

SilvrT. Yes the new show. Tell him congrats. What episodes/scenes were he in?

Jeff,

All of them. :-)

For the map, I knew the paper was coordinates but I figured I would see letters/numbers on the side like a map and you drew lines. I didn't figure out it was coordinates to move left, right, etc...

It was my second guess as to what to do, the first I was trying to count city blocks on the map when I noticed that the letter U showed up quite clear, my second try was just on graph paper, then it was very clear.

For the garden, the leaves were easy. Those made the border and I knew the picture on the side of the card had to touch the same picture on another card. Just couldn't get it to get everything matched up like it was supposed to.

I might have gotten lucky on this one as I started with the leave border and it helped that the first seed pack I placed just happened to be the top left and it was the right one.

For the dominoes, I had a basic understanding of what you were supposed to do but I think I was concentrating more on the written letters/numbers on the domino and matching that up to the number on the tray vs. the numbers in the tray was to be matched with the corresponding dominoe. i.e. 3 3 possibly meant use the domino with the 2-3's.

This one made my poor little brain hurt.....

I knew the pencil was the key but I kept looking at it and couldn't make heads/tails of it.

Maybe it is my drafting background where I have no problem reading upside down, or even mirror image and upside down. Back in the old days we used to turn a drawing upside down while working on the top half so that there was less chance of messing up the drawing. But this one was the second easiest for me. I read the pencil immediately.

On the film fiche I started by lining up # 5 but couldn't figure out what do to with it. I figured the other #'s would line up to something else also and they do just not in the way that I thought. I thought you lined up 1 # and the rest lined up.

I cheated, I had seen this scheme used before in the movies a lot, It is usually an overlay to a map to show where the treasure, enemy base or whatever is located, so it was very obvious to me.

Hadn't a clue on the safe, dead letter, calendar or chalk board.

Safe took a while till I could get myself to stop reading the words and just look at the letters.

Dead letter is another one that have seen before somewhere in my past.

Chalk board, I knew there was some relationship between the team names and the numbers it was the bottom left one that threw me off for a while.

Did you try the Fiat contest?

Nope, I don't do Facebook

SilvrT. Yes the new show. Tell him congrats. What episodes/scenes were he in?

My thought processes are above in blue.

I guess that I just have a warped mind to follow the reasoning so quick.

Now waiting for Mar 5 for the next set of clues.

Maybe I can trade in the Rustang (After I play with it for a little while :whistling:) for a new Chevy P/U truck.

Jeff,

That's using the ole' noggin'. I won't turn this into a bashing thread as I just want to know about folks who do some of these puzzles online. Having said that I have had 2 Ford products in the past and after a year of electrical issues and repeated repairs I got rid of them and swore them off. I know anyone can say the same for just about any auto manufacturer or any product in general.

Besides having to pay taxes if I win won't turn down a free car or at least cash equivalent if it is offered. Fiat isn't my 1st choice either (btw just saw a new commercial on YouTube with Charlie Sheen (love it)). Let's just say it might be a tight fit and not because I am tall which I am not :-).

So saying I am a GM guy. Kinda have to be when your father in law retired from A/C Delco literally just before it became Delphi. This isn't to say I haven't bough GM without issues either. But they have been so insignificant to me they didn't bother me like radio not working when using rear defrost.