IGNORED

Front brake problems—Finally fixed

van avery

I’m reworking an 83 goldwing . Had everything else fixed but could not get the front brake to tighten up. Might slow down the bike but not really stop it. Put new master cylinder on and tried three different old hoses, rebuild old calipers, looked like the rotor ran true when spinning the tire. Bleed the brakes about 20 times, replaced calipers from Ebay… ETC ,,,,,,:bang head:

Took to dealer, they spent three weeks and rebuilt the original master cylinder replaced brake hose with new and checked the caliper. Got a bit better but not right. Brought bike home and my son noticed that the caliper was slightly twisting when applied. Put a straight edge on the rotor and its warped like a bowl. It only out by 0.05 in but that enough to cause a real problem.

Bought used rotor on Ebay and problem solved. Hopefully this may help someone else in the future. :7_6_3[1]:

DSC08712.JPG

DSC08713.JPG

It just seems curious to me that the rotor would dish like that. Something must be pulling or pushing to make that happen . I doubt that it warped on it own.

Better check the caliper mounting. Or if you took it off originaly was there any thing strange that you noticed. You may have got it mounted wrong and never noticed it and now you have it mounted correctly.

Just thinking out loud here. :eek:

Steve

aka Bubber

I'm gonna add here that I had a problem where I could squeeze a hard as I could and it wouldnt stop the bike.

Skydoc_17 told me about hh sintered brake piss and it fixed my brake problems. Sio if not warped and nothing damaged look into the HH pads. From what I was told my brake piss were loaded with brake dust making it glazed snd in turn glazing my rotor.

I cant express how happy I am now being able to lock up the front tire.Not that I will but its assuring to know that My brakes work as or more than intended

Thank for the comments. Took awhile to get it look'n that way. Here is a couple before pics.

Bike was not running when I bought it, some vandals had cut the throttle cables and the front brake line. Found where PO had cut wires rewire horn ( rather than fix button), then had also cut the clutch switch wires and he cut off to the neutral switch wiring, wonder why it wouldn’t start. Had to replace the starter solenoid, starter brushes, and battery. Used steel wool and elbow grease on the chrome, and painted side cover, bags and trunk.

Cleaned carbs and replaced the timing belts rebuilt the rear master cylinder and cleaned the calipers.

Bubber, I have looked for the reason it warpped that way but I have changed it out so many times now and I don’t see anything that would have caused it. I wonder if it hung up sometime in the past and got too hot??

Giving this bike to my son.

Just picked up a 1987 Venture Royale. Carbs in a box. Already cleans carbs and adjusted the valves now waiting on new diaphragms. Hope to get running this weekend. CLASS system showing E4 but the radio, cassette and CB all work. Have to get it running before I can check out the cruise. There are a couple pics of the new project bike too.