IGNORED

non marine rated 4 inch speakers

Just wanting to hear from those of you who have replaced your OEM Clarion speakers with NON-Marine rated ones(Polk 4" speakers are Marine rated) I was considering Clarion 4" 2 way coaxials. They are only 22.00 a set on Amazon.com They are made of much better materials than the OEM ones. I like my music loud.....and I will just blow the OEM ones....plus I like the clarity of the tweeters in the Coaxial design. Thank You!

There is a very fine screen over the stock speakers......just remove that and silicone it on the new ones. Unless you spend a lot of time in the rain I would think that will keep most of the water off the speaker cone. I have replaced mine with the 4" Pioneer speakers and don't have any trouble. Just remember there is only so much you can get out of a 4" speaker!

Keith

Just wanting to hear from those of you who have replaced your OEM Clarion speakers with NON-Marine rated ones(Polk 4" speakers are Marine rated) I was considering Clarion 4" 2 way coaxials. They are only 22.00 a set on Amazon.com They are made of much better materials than the OEM ones. I like my music loud.....and I will just blow the OEM ones....plus I like the clarity of the tweeters in the Coaxial design. Thank You!

You can usually improve sound quality by replacing the original speakers. Many times this is simply because the original units are wore out. Quality is better sound, not louder sound. Getting louder is probably not going to happen unless the sensitivity (efficiency) of the replacement is better than the originals (not likely). You will be connecting the same power (watts) from the stock amplifier to the new speaker and it has lower efficiency, this equals less loud. To get loud requires more power amplifier.

The issue of "marine rated" speakers;

There are no weather-proof speakers. Some are treated to hold up better outdoors. "Marine rated" is a marketing term. Generally these speakers have a treated woofer cone and maybe better paint to resist corrosion. To use the $22 Clarion units I recommend spraying the woofer cone with a fabric treatment (like used on car upholstery). Don't get carried away, this adds weight to the cone and affects the sound. Place a screen over the front of the speaker, I use two layers of nylon window screen. This provides protection from direct water and direct sun. Note: The sun does as much damage as the water!

:detective: