IGNORED

In South Dakota- drive train HELP

Ok... Leaving for home tomorrow, but have a "noise" coming from where the gear oil is housed in...

I heard the noise on Saturday... Took it to a dealer in Wichita, KS. by the time he test drove the bike the noise went away.

The noise came back the next day and has been getting worse. Today I am in Custer, SD And we are heading home tomorrow... And now the noise is worse. A buddy felt the housing where the spline is at and could feel the sound.

It is a clicking sound... Almost like a baseball card on spokes (just not as loud).

I need to know what are the possibilities? If it needs gear oil, how to add more... And what weight oil do I need and anything else I might could use...

I do NOT want to be stranded here and there is no BIKE shops here.

Thanks for the QUICK help!

Wally

almost sounds like your splines are dry, is the hub getting hot?? you can remove the bolt/plug near the top of the hub and you should be able to touch the fluid with your little finger, but unless you have a leak it should be ok, the only other thing I can think of would be a bearing going south, lets hope it is just the splines being dry. Maybe some one else or some close by can check it out for you.. good luck

Kreg

Ok... Leaving for home tomorrow, but have a "noise" coming from where the gear oil is housed in...

I heard the noise on Saturday... Took it to a dealer in Wichita, KS. by the time he test drove the bike the noise went away.

The noise came back the next day and has been getting worse. Today I am in Custer, SD And we are heading home tomorrow... And now the noise is worse. A buddy felt the housing where the spline is at and could feel the sound.

It is a clicking sound... Almost like a baseball card on spokes (just not as loud).

I need to know what are the possibilities? If it needs gear oil, how to add more... And what weight oil do I need and anything else I might could use...

I do NOT want to be stranded here and there is no BIKE shops here.

Thanks for the QUICK help!

Wally

Guest scarylarry

My 09 pins was dry as a bone when I greased them at 6k miles..

Have you ever greased them and if so how long and also how many miles are on it?

My 09 pins was dry as a bone when I greased them at 6k miles..

Have you ever greased them and if so how long and also how many miles are on it?

Yes they were greased about a month ago when I had the tires changed.

was this by the dealer? if so, did you see them do it? just sayin, I don`t really trust that they do what they charge for...shocking I know..

Edited by Kregerdoodle
cant write

This really sounds to me like dry splines and dry fingers in the hub. Did you do the work yourself, or hopefully a trustworthy dealer mechanic ?

Here is site information and how to do this.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=13263

Happened to me when my bike was new at 1500 miles in North Carolina. Clicking sounded like the rear end was going to come out. I knew what it was from what I had read here. There was a dealer there that took me on in and took care of it, warranty no charge, dry from factory. Use Honda Molly to grease all. Did this myself at new tire change. If you have never had the rear wheel off, then I would recommend you take to dealer since you are away from home. The site here is very helpful for this. Hope this helps.

:thumbsup2:

Fuzzy

rumboogy,

If you are in Custer, there are shops north of you in Rapid City http://www.blackhillspowersports.com/ or in Spearfish http://www.outdoor-motorsports.com/ or even Sturgis http://www.sturgisyamaha.com/ . I could not say which is better but either Rapid City or Spearfish is closer than Sturgis. If you think you want to try to get to the Eastern side of the state, I am in Madison, about 25 miles or so north of I-90 on either US 81 or SD 19. The dealer here, Interlakes Sport Center (a multi-line dealer), is very good. The shop people are top-notch. They have always treated me well. The DQ in tow if the best in the area!!! If you need anything on this end of SD, my number is in my profile.

Good luck,

Dave

• 1 year later...
Guest tx2sturgis
Just wondering, does anyone know what an average temp for final drive hub should be after riding.

Depends. On a hot summer day the housing on mine will show around 185-190f with a IR gun after an hour or so of riding.

Winter temps should be cooler, but still above 100 after some longer rides.

Edited by tx2sturgis