IGNORED

Power outlet as a battery charger

I have a used, from ebay oem power outlet coming. My plans are to find a nice, clean spot and wire it directly (FUSED) to battery for 2 purposes. I will use it for the obvious such as cell charger or whatever, but my second thought is to use it for my maintainer plug. Dual purpose outlet. Thoughts?? Suggestions?? I have a spot figured out already, and have the maintainer.

So Ray,

Which one did you chose? The Centech AP-1 is one of the more popular ones, but costs around $50. You need to use a 30 accessory relay to provide power to this fuse panel, but for less than $10 the one that you can buy from O'Rielly's which provides pretty much the same functionality. And both of these will attach to the surface above and behind the battery.

But when you say "maintaner" do you mean battery tender? If so, these connections really need to be attached directly to the battery posts rather than flowing current through a fuse panel.

Hope this helps,

Rick

I may not have been real clear...... I am installing the power outlet to be used as a power source wired directly to the batter, but it will also be my plug in for the battery maintainer. Rather then hard wire a maintainer (tender) plug that get used just for keeping the battery at full song, figured Id have a usefull plug thats multi purpose. :confused24:

Yes, if you wire an aux plug to the battery, you could use it to attach a battery maintainer.

You will need to know what size wire your outlet will have to determine your fuse size.

The wires on a factory outlet are only rated for about 5 amps so the one you're getting off ebay will probably only be able to safely carry 5 amps depending on the length of wire.

You may be able to disassemble it and solder some new, heavier wires onto it to increase the amperage allowance.

Guest tx2sturgis

As previously mentioned, make all wire and fusing allowances for anticipated current. But in addition, your arrangement will have the potential for arcs and sparks, since you will have a male plug, with an exposed center pin, that is 'hot' when the maintainer is energized. Not a huge problem, since most maintainers monitor the output and shut it off if its being shorted, but just the same, I would spend the extra 5 bucks and wire in the 'correct' connector for the job.

Also, keep in mind that multiple fuses ( on both sides of the connector) and their associated holders can introduce a small amount of voltage drop, which the maintainer will sense as a lower voltage at the battery, and COULD possibly overcharge the battery.

I'm betting you wont have trouble, but why risk it?

Edited by tx2sturgis

I installed two Powerlet ports last summer to do things like charge phones, run mattress pumps, etc. I also bought a few extra right angle male plugs and turned one of them into a battery charger connection. I had a spare battery harness laying around, so I used that. If I had a battery tender harness, it would be trivial to wire up one of those.

Dave

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5163/5334707280_728d173a06.jpg

Yes, if you wire an aux plug to the battery, you could use it to attach a battery maintainer.

You will need to know what size wire your outlet will have to determine your fuse size.

The wires on a factory outlet are only rated for about 5 amps so the one you're getting off ebay will probably only be able to safely carry 5 amps depending on the length of wire.

You may be able to disassemble it and solder some new, heavier wires onto it to increase the amperage allowance.

Had all intentins of gutting it and using new wiring from the outlet to the battery. I just wanted a factory looking plug. Went to parts store and found universal, ugly looking plugs. The OEM outlet with the nice rubber cover was what I was after. I am using a stereo amp inline fuse so voltage drop should not be an issue. This is nothing I would try to charge the battery from. Just something to plug in while it sits in the garage. :)

I have one on the Honda, direct to the battery, and two on the Venture. I use it for just that, and works very well. No Problems. I used 12ga wire to the battery on both sides + & - with a 30 amp fuse. I carry a breathing machine for the wife, and of course an air pump. I also use the one on the Honda to make coffee when camping ( but have to start it up about half way through perking ) Just used a regular Cig Liter socket, and plug on tender. I put a disconnect on the tender to change out the ends when needed.

Had all intentins of gutting it and using new wiring from the outlet to the battery. I just wanted a factory looking plug. Went to parts store and found universal, ugly looking plugs. The OEM outlet with the nice rubber cover was what I was after. I am using a stereo amp inline fuse so voltage drop should not be an issue. This is nothing I would try to charge the battery from. Just something to plug in while it sits in the garage. :)

You can pick up an OEM type accessory plug with rubber cover at most auto parts stores. Pep Boys had two or three different versions last time I looked. I think I paid about $7 for one.

On an RSV, the correct place for it is just behind the rider's seat on the left side (opposite the rear shock air stem). There is already the correct size hole there with a plug in it.

Goose

I installed two Powerlet ports last summer to do things like charge phones, run mattress pumps, etc. I also bought a few extra right angle male plugs and turned one of them into a battery charger connection. I had a spare battery harness laying around, so I used that. If I had a battery tender harness, it would be trivial to wire up one of those.

Dave

I purchased one of those 'powerlet outlets' by mistake, not realizing it wasn't the standard 'cigarette lighter' size power adapter..

I've never seen one of those powerlet devices before.. where do you find adapters for them? I have a Battery tender feed cable hard wired to the battery to top it off when the bike is not in use for an extended period of time (winter), the same connector can also be used for a small air pump for doing up the tires on road trips etc..

I have a used, from ebay oem power outlet coming. My plans are to find a nice, clean spot and wire it directly (FUSED) to battery for 2 purposes. I will use it for the obvious such as cell charger or whatever, but my second thought is to use it for my maintainer plug. Dual purpose outlet. Thoughts?? Suggestions?? I have a spot figured out already, and have the maintainer.

See my article on "Simple charging and Jump start system" posted today 2/18/2011. Hope that it may help you out some. Dan

I did the same thing but I did it originally so I could blow up a air mattress when we go camping. In case people haven't found out yet the fuse blows if you use the one on the fairing with the new one the problem is solved. I like the idea of the maintainer plugged in there also so will get the male end so I can do that and remove the other wire.