IGNORED

Draining Clutch Fluid in Progress VR89.

GolfVenture

I've read many threads on changing the clutch fluid. So the Bleeder valve has been removed and an oil pan under the VR with it on the center stand. I pulled on the clutch lever slowly a few times to drain most of the fluid. I opened the Reservoir lid. Now I need to get ready to go to work (job). So my thoughts are the fluid will seek its lowest level and therefore in 24 hours most all the old fluid should have been drained. Was wondering if it would be better to have the clutch lever compressed to the handle bar and tied, or does it matter, Just asking, for I do not know if it matters. Yes, I do have a speed valve to install, and I will use new dot 4 brake fluid. My plans are next morning to start pouring new fluid into the reservoir until fresh fluid is seen coming out the drain plug. After that I plan on using Condor's method of reverse fill the fluid from the drain plug up to get all the air bubbles. Oh any suggestions as to how much dot 4 break fluid to purchase, being that once opened that there is an age factor with break fluid. I don't mind having some extras around but not a lot.

Although I have not done this I would think a smaller bottle would be enough.

I will check my manual to see if it list a quantity.

You may want to post questions like these under "First Gen Tech" instead of Watering Hole, more folks would see it quicker.

Good luck,

Don

A 12 oz can should be plenty. DOT3 is perfectly sufficient for the job, there is no advantage to DOT4 in this application.

Back bleeding is a messy nasty way to go. I doubt if you can even do it with the speed bleeder in. I like a vacuum bleeder but pump and hold should also work, especially with a speed bleeder installed.

It'll flow better if you leave the lever released.

Something you might want to do is to pump some fresh fluid through the system and try to flush out the lower slave fluid.

There is no way to really drain what is in the slave unit, without removing it, so the old fluid will still be in there.

Might want to flush about a quarter of the new bottle, about 3 or 4 refills of the master cylinder, through the system to agitate what is in there and try to replace it with clean fluid.

Gary