Does the radio display in my 1st gen Venture have a bcklight? Riding home in the dark the other night and could not see the buttons. The LED display is visable and the green power can be seen but nothing else. The CLASS controller has a backlight so I would think the radio should be also. Just wanted to know before taking it apart.

Edited by mlew
Sucess, lighting complete

• 10 months later...

Successffice:office" />

Anything can be modified to what you want if you think about how to do it. This was not hard, just took some time to route the wires inside the cover.

Pic #7

3mm LEDs were installed in the bottom of the button hole. Each one is press fit into a hole and sealed with some thin CA glue .LEDs were placed in the corner as not to interfere with the button seals or springs.

Pic #2

The LEDs are connected together. Room is tight but it will fit.

Pic #5

Test run on the LEDs without the buttons in place. The red ones are a little brighter than the green so I installed a limiting resistor to the red.

Pic #3

Need a connection point for the new LEDs. The 2nd and 3rd terminal on this plug is where the original power LED is fed from. I will plug the new wires into here.

Pic #6

Day time with the buttons installed and ready for reassembly.

Pic #8

New lights at night, I can see them now.

It all looks good but I can improve some by making some new buttons out of a clear material. I plan to experement with casting resins to see what I can come up with.

It was not hard to do and it cost less than 10$ for the LEDs. I got a pack of 20 at a model train shop , they even came with a assortment of resistors for different voltages. I looked a Radio shack but they cost more.

I spent just a few hours testing and fitting the LEDs so they won't interfere with the buttons. It was just another way to waste time in the evening, at least it was productive.

your close enough for me to visit........Im electronicly retarded so ifn your up to helping a brother out I might just have to take a trip to see you......also still want to get up with you like we discused at the nc M&E at gassahns to get my hitch modified on my 1st gen.

DAvid

Ps just incase youdont remeber me Im the guy who showed up with his wife in the blue dodge truck cause I had just had surgery on my right hand.