IGNORED

Local Dealer Out of Business.

T.J.

Our local Yamaha Dealer "Oxford Michigan" will close the doors this week. Everything is 50 per cent off. I guess another dealer took all the bikes off his hands.

I got some oil, air cleaners, brake pads both front and rear, chain lube, "for my DRZ", cleaning supplies and some other stuff.

What a shame. They always treated me well. They were only 5 miles away. Now the nearest will be 20. Still not bad.

A couple of years back we had two local independants bite the dust. One ended up in an auction, and I scored on some nice stuff for next to nothin'. So far they have been the only two that I can think of. There have been a few others in outlying towns, and I far as I know they were all indy's.

There's a dealer (Honda/Suzuki) only about 15 miles from me that re-opened under new management a little over a year ago. He tried to get the Yamaha dealership but Yamaha told him they will only allow new dealers to be stand alone. Yamaha's not thinking about it's customers or the possibility for new customers in that area. Remember I said there are no other Yamaha dealers for about 40 miles from me and about 25-30 miles from there.

Edited by uechi kid

Hate to see them go, those guts were like family to me. Mr Martin the father of three of the guys that have worked there let me take a ride on his personal Royal Star that the mechanic had built up with a Pro1 kit and a few other mods, he said give it a good rip and see what she's got, how do you replace that !

Brought the Venture in with a leaky shock, 20 mins on the road with a new one.

I also bought my first Royal Star from them. I wont go to Great Lakes - AKA " Great Mistakes", Ray C's is going to get my money. The 80 mile round trip was nothing to get treated that good, I wish them the best with what ever they decide to do.

:fatsmiley:

Yep, about 15 miles gunk.

Thanks T.J.

I bought a passenger seat and floorboards with mounts from them for the royal star years ago...there was a big kid working there, they called him Flipper....his feet were the biggest I've ever seen! He had a royal star all done up...or was it a V-max, he used to play with it.....light to light he said he was faster than a 'busa....must have tucked those feet in behind something, cause they'd be worse than 10 ton anchors they were so big.

gunk:hurts:

Gary (99Silver) and I went out there today to see what they had left. Gary picked out some things and I bought a tool. They have KTM and Yamaha stuff for bikes, ATV's and snowmobiles. They are also selling their specialty dealer tools and compressor and tire changer and tire balance machines. Gary noticed they had bags full of valve shims also. All the signs and office things are for sale too. They have a very large lighted Yamaha sign that goes on the outside of a building also. If your looking for a specific part I'd call them first. Oh they have some really nice helmets left also. Thought I'd mention it just in case anyone close might need something at a good price. Everything is 50% off and they seam to be taking reasonable offers also.

I figured that I'd better go see if they had anything left, and the answer is not much.

I picked up brake pads for all the way around (they still have some of those). A few liquids and that was it.

No good tools for RSV's or any other consumables (filters, hoses. etc). The counter guy said that they wouldn't know how much longer they will be open, until the end of the day when the boss checks to see what they have left.

There was barely enough stuff for a small garage sale so today may be the end.

I figured that I'd better go see if they had anything left, and the answer is not much.

I picked up brake pads for all the way around (they still have some of those). A few liquids and that was it.

No good tools for RSV's or any other consumables (filters, hoses. etc). The counter guy said that they wouldn't know how much longer they will be open, until the end of the day when the boss checks to see what they have left.

There was barely enough stuff for a small garage sale so today may be the end.

Glenn, I found a Suzuki factory carb sync tool for $20 and a slightly use windshield for $50 and a couple of Yamaha T-shirts some decals and a quart of gear lube. Things were going fast and some of the things you might think you could almost steal were overpriced IMHO. Hate to see them go, good people. Looks like I'll have to give Ray-C's a try.

This happened around here in Omaha in the 80s. Dealers folded up left and right. we were stuck with just a few. They seemed to try to really get all they could up front and drove costumers away, rather than a smaller amount up front to keep us coming back. - Basically they drove us away.

That seems to be the way things are done now a days . everyone wants to get rich right away, rather than building a loyal customer base.

Craiger