IGNORED

Good reason to have a SPOT if you ride alone

flb_78

http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50620

BeemerBob was out on a ride by himself and hit a washout. Went down hard and probably cracked a couple ribs. Thanks to his SPOT, they were able to find him and bring him to safety. His cellphone had no service. He hit the "help" button and people responded.

Even if you were to crash and couldn't hit the "help" button, you can still be tracked through the GPS signal and google maps.

Guest scarylarry
What's a SPOT and how does it work?

Like GPS tells your where abouts on the road, It is a service that you buy, google it and it will give you all the info

A SPOT is a personal tracking device. Kind of the opposite of a GPS.

A GPS uses satellite data to tell you where you are.

A SPOT gives your positioning data to the satellites. It allows others to track you thru a web connection (they must have your access permission). The SPOT transmitter also has a 'HELP' button that is roughly like a global 911. It is picked up by the satellites and forwarded to the appropriate rescue authority.

It is a great system if you are going to be off the standard grid. Used by solo pilots, hikers, m'cyclist, LD bicyclist, etc.

Some of the guys in the Iron Butt Rallies run SPOT trackers so others can watch their progress.

RR

Guest scarylarry
A SPOT is a personal tracking device. Kind of the opposite of a GPS.

A GPS uses satellite data to tell you where you are.

A SPOT gives your positioning data to the satellites. It allows others to track you thru a web connection (they must have your access permission). The SPOT transmitter also has a 'HELP' button that is roughly like a global 911. It is picked up by the satellites and forwarded to the appropriate rescue authority.

It is a great system if you are going to be off the standard grid. Used by solo pilots, hikers, m'cyclist, LD bicyclist, etc.

Some of the guys in the Iron Butt Rallies run SPOT trackers so others can watch their progress.

RR

I stand corrected, could not think of another example

I stand corrected, could not think of another example

Didn't mean to counter your statement. It was what triggered my analogy. For all intents and purposes, it IS like a GPS. It just gives your coordinates to others rather than to you.

RR

I think they are a great idea for someone that travels alone a lot, or on roads that arent travelled often.

I know Rocket has had a SPOT for at least a couple of years and finds that it makes him feel a lot more in touch with someone in case of an emergency.

I like the webpage that it generates so you can track where a person is,if they let you know what the URL is. Rocket never runs on time so its kinda handy to know where he is at and estimate when he will arrive.....and not wonder if he is ok when he is late.:stickpoke::smile5:

Here is a link to the website;;;http://gps.about.com/od/newproducts/a/SPOT-GPS-Satellite-Messenger.htm

Brian

Edited by friesman

I think they are a great idea for someone that travels alone a lot, or on roads that arent travelled often.

I know Rocket has had a SPOT for at least a couple of years and finds that it makes him feel a lot more in touch with someone in case of an emergency.

I like the webpage that it generates so you can track where a person is,if they let you know what the URL is. Rocket never runs on time so its kinda handy to know where he is at and estimate when he will arrive.....and not wonder if he is ok when he is late.:stickpoke::smile5:

Brian

My shared page, never changes location.:thumbsup2: So if you haven't bookmarked it :stirthepot:, search the threads for the meets I attended last year, to find the link. :bang head:

I have a SPOT and recently used it on our 4400 mile trip west. I was less concerned with safety because I had others with me. My main reason was to let family and friends keep track of our progress. The emergency help was a bonus. Although I will have it on and with me any time I ride alone. Here is a link to my recent track. http://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php?id=6473 You'll have to set the history back a month or so to see all of the trip.

Dennis

Works like a locating beacon for a boat? Is it a transmitter?

Yes, it's a transmitter, to GPS satellites.

I use mine to let others follow my trips, very cool, transmits every 10 minutes. Also gives my wife some piece of mind knowing where we are along the way.

However, like a GPS, they require a clear view of the sky. If You're in really heavy trees, or a tunnel, it won't work.

When I first read about BeemerBob, it got me thinking about this thread.

http://venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=40707&highlight=goldwing+colorado

It took 10 days to find him and it was a pair of hunters who found him, not someone in the search party. Even without being able to hit the "help" button, the lack of movement on the GPS tracking page would have alerted someone who was following his progress and they could have sent help much sooner.

When my daughter was younger we had a service on our cell phone that we could use to trak her. Was that similar to SPOT?

Im not for certain, but I believe that uses cell towers to track instead of a GPS signal so if she was in an area with no cell reception, it may not work.

This has me thinking... (hopefully I don't get a headache from the unaccoustomed activity)

I looked at the SPOT web page and noticed the product Delorme PN-60w which is a GPS with a SPOT position sending device. It allows custom text messages to be sent to a distribution list as well as map tracking via a web page, and distress alerts via 911 and international search& rescue satellites.

It looks a bit pricey at $500 for the base unit plus $99year for the SPOT services, but not out of line for a waterproof unit compared to some of the Garmin's in use by other VR members. I do a bit of riding on US Forest Service roads on a Suzuki DR200 where there's no cell phone coverage.

Is anyone using a Delorme? what do you think? What about the Delorme with the SPOT?

http://shop.delorme.com/OA_HTML/DELibeCCtdItemDetail.jsp?item=30786&section=10741

http://shop.delorme.com/OA_HTML/PN60/images/PN60w_SPOT_hero.jpg

This has me thinking... (hopefully I don't get a headache from the unaccoustomed activity)

I looked at the SPOT web page and noticed the product Delorme PN-60w which is a GPS with a SPOT position sending device. It allows custom text messages to be sent to a distribution list as well as map tracking via a web page, and distress alerts via 911 and international search& rescue satellites.

It looks a bit pricey at $500 for the base unit plus $99year for the SPOT services, but not out of line for a waterproof unit compared to some of the Garmin's in use by other VR members. I do a bit of riding on US Forest Service roads on a Suzuki DR200 where there's no cell phone coverage.

Is anyone using a Delorme? what do you think? What about the Delorme with the SPOT?

http://shop.delorme.com/OA_HTML/DELibeCCtdItemDetail.jsp?item=30786&section=10741

http://shop.delorme.com/OA_HTML/PN60/images/PN60w_SPOT_hero.jpg

That's fancy. Im not sure I'd spend that much money though. The stand alone SPOT unit can usually be found for around $100 and often if found on sale, the unit is free with activation.

Im not for certain, but I believe that uses cell towers to track instead of a GPS signal so if she was in an area with no cell reception, it may not work.

Cells use cell towers so if you dont have cell coverage no one will know where you are, where SPOT uses Gps satellites to communicate and you should have coverage almost anywhere, as long as you can see open sky. tree cover and tall buildings etc may affect coverage. i think we all know how spotty cell coverage is, so if youre relying on that in an emergency, you could be in trouble in some areas.

Brian

I have one which I use everytime I am out snowmobiling! No cell out there LOL! It is similar to GM's On Star! You set up who you want the non emergency message sent to (email addresses or Cell phone text message) 911 goes to a call center for dispatch to local authorities. Never had occasion to use 911 but the help I use regularly to let people know we are out and back at the truck. Also to look at the google earth view of special places we go! Ken!

I wanted a GPS which was waterproof, and capable of running off batteries or off a vehicle 12v, so I could carry it in a backback as well as on a motorcycle. Looks like the Delorme has those features, plus the SPOT emergency device. As well as just being able to send text messages in addition to emergency notifications. I'm real close to buying one. Just waiting for a little more feedback here and best price shopping.

I found TigerGPS.com which has good prices and says they'll have them in stock next week (where have I heard that before?).

I'll check out the protravelgear web site too. A years free SPOT activation would be nice, thats normally $99.

update ----

The two websites offer free $49 web tracking if you buy the $99 SPOT activation and the $18 annual product warranty service using a special code good thru Aug 31st. So its not free activation.

Edited by RandyR

I wanted a GPS which was waterproof, and capable of running off batteries or off a vehicle 12v, so I could carry it in a backback as well as on a motorcycle. Looks like the Delorme has those features, plus the SPOT emergency device. As well as just being able to send text messages in addition to emergency notifications. I'm real close to buying one. Just waiting for a little more feedback here and best price shopping.

I found TigerGPS.com which has good prices and says they'll have them in stock next week (where have I heard that before?).

I'll check out the protravelgear web site too. A years free SPOT activation would be nice, thats normally $99.

It looks like the GPS is separate from the SPOT unit and they have to be used in tandem and one would still have to carry 2 units. The one advantage is that the user can send custom text messages describing a situation vs only using the "help" button.

http://blog.delorme.com/2010/01/19/pn-60w-and-spot-communicator-question-and-answer/

The PN-60w is the only device with a wireless antenna and the ability to connect to the SPOT Communicator.

SPOT Communicator features…

The final plastics for the SPOT Communicator are still being engineered. It will be about half the size of the PN-60w.

The SPOT Communicator runs on two e2 Lithium batteries.

The SPOT Communicator has a power button and an SOS button built into it for use without the PN-60w or in case the 60w is damaged or runs out of power.

All of the non-SOS features like Check In and Tracking are triggered by the PN-60w interface using the wireless connection.

Text messages for Check In, Help, and SOS are created using the virtual keyboard in the PN-60w interface.

The SPOT satellite messaging system is send only—from the device to the satellites to the SPOT back office. It is not possible to receive message receipt confirmation or replies.

It looks like the GPS is separate from the SPOT unit and they have to be used in tandem and one would still have to carry 2 units. The one advantage is that the user can send custom text messages describing a situation vs only using the "help" button.

http://blog.delorme.com/2010/01/19/pn-60w-and-spot-communicator-question-and-answer/

Yes. I didn't pick up on the fact that it was 2 separate units at first, that somewhat cools my enthusiasm for it. The screen on the Delorme PN-60W is somewhat smaller than the big touch screens that most bikers use for a GPS. The upside is, that it can be detached from a handlebar mount and used in a belt pouch.

btw the 2nd link (protravelgear) to a seller of the SPOT units has much higher shipping charges (than tigergps), which offsets the better prices they have.

I'm still tempted to get the 2 unit combo, I just wish it was a single device.

I'll think about it for a day.