IGNORED

Home-made Levelling Links

There's a lot of threads/posts regarding levelling links including a "how-to" to make them yourself. Rather than adding to any of those, thought I'd just start a new thread due to a specific question.

In the how-to, it says to drill the holes at 6 & 5/8 inch center ( 1/4 inch less than stock ). According to that, it should give about a 1" lift which changes the rake & trail of the bike resulting in better handling.

I'm wondering (since I haven't read anything related to it) .... what effect a person would get if they set the holes at other positions such as, for example, 6.5 inch center or maybe even 6 & 3/8 inch center?

Just curiosity here but I haven't seen any comments that address it.

Theoretically it should change the height 1" for every 1/4" in link difference. I think?????

The change in height is one thing but I was more interested in the effects on the rake & trail and handling of the bike.

Be the gineau pig Rick and let us know

:whistling:

If'n ya can wait until next spring ... :scratchchin:

Actually, I got the back tire off right now getting a replacement so I might just make up a set over the next few days as I doubt I'll be out riding ... nuthin but rain, rain, rain in the forecast.

I saw in a local shop they had "racing links" that had 3 different holes for "tuning" them.

But they were pretty far apart, if 1/4 inch in linkage= 1 inch in height. The holes were probably at least 1/4 apart oc... I'd love to do my own, looks easy enough from freebird's post... I just don't have the tools.

I do, however, take a certain pride in creating my own stuff for house, bike, car, etc... :pushups:

I lowered the the front 5/8 so the effect on the rake and trail would be the same as lifting the rear that much, more or less. At 1" it turned in too quick for my liking and I scrapped the floorboards to soon. 5/8 was the best for me on my MM. Good luck Rod

The change in height is one thing but I was more interested in the effects on the rake & trail and handling of the bike.

I would have to have the measurements from the bike and plug it into a CAD program to calculate the rake and trail with multiple lengths of links......

I would have to have the measurements from the bike and plug it into a CAD program to calculate the rake and trail with multiple lengths of links......

It would be "neat" to plot such things but it only shows "data" which doesn't portray what a person would feel.

Guess I figured that someone might have experimented and would be able to articulate their findings.

Now, if we had some CAD results for various settings coupled with personal rider review, that would be the ultimate.

hmmmmm.... maybe you'd like to take the job of "guinea pig" and get me off the hook? :sign20:

There's a lot of threads/posts regarding levelling links including a "how-to" to make them yourself. Rather than adding to any of those, thought I'd just start a new thread due to a specific question.

In the how-to, it says to drill the holes at 6 & 5/8 inch center ( 1/4 inch less than stock ). According to that, it should give about a 1" lift which changes the rake & trail of the bike resulting in better handling.

I'm wondering (since I haven't read anything related to it) .... what effect a person would get if they set the holes at other positions such as, for example, 6.5 inch center or maybe even 6 & 3/8 inch center?

Just curiosity here but I haven't seen any comments that address it.

I've thought the same thing. Love to see how a 6.5 center would work.

Us with 29" inseams have it pretty rough tippy toeing with leveling links. Makes me think of what was told on a young boy several years ago. They said he was so short legged and the old 1972 Yamaha 650 seat height was so tall that he had to jumped off of it at every redlight just to hold it up!!! Then do like the pony express to get back on when the light changed.

Us with 29" inseams have it pretty rough tippy toeing with leveling links. Makes me think of what was told on a young boy several years ago. They said he was so short legged and the old 1972 Yamaha 650 seat height was so tall that he had to jumped off of it at every redlight just to hold it up!!! Then do like the pony express to get back on when the light changed.

mebbe you should get out those '70's "riser" boots .... :rotf:

• 1 year later...