IGNORED

Oily residue on vent hoses at left of rear shock

I'm hoping someoene has an opinion. I have my 2007 venture in my garage and have been going over it so it is ready when the snow finally goes away.

There are 4 hoses which appear to be vent hoses exiting just left of the rear shock pointing to the ground. The two that are cut at an angle have an oily residue coming out of them. Is this normal???. I followed the one hose up and it goes under the gas tank. I can take off the tank and follow it but wondered if the residue is in fact normal. The bike ran fine when I put it away. As always any opinions or help is always appreciated.

Thanks Jim

Edited by Midnight

I had the same problem on mine several months back after an oil change. Search on Threads on "Vent Hoses" for info on the problem of over filling a little too much. Just under the half way mark will stop the residue just like everyone suggested.

Jim,

It is normal for the hoses to have an oil residue on them. The residue will appear on all four hoses.

The air flow under the bike and around the hoses blows it onto all four of them.

After a HARD ride (70mph - pluss) you may also notice a spot/ drip or two of oil...This is also normal

If you constantly see a drop or spot of oil (especially after an oil change) there may be just a tad to much oil in the block.

To check, you can place a 6 inch piece of a 2x4 block of wood under the side stand to help aid you in standing the bike up straight. Then you can check the oil sight glass which is located on the right underside of the engine near the front end of the right floor board. Oil level should never be over the top mark on the sight glass.

See your owners manual for proper markings on oil sight glass and its actual location.

After running the bike on the interstate at say 70mph or so, you will notice the hoses look damp with oil..no need to worry at all for this is normal.

I was worried/ concerned, (as you are) and found it to be nothing at all as long as you never over fill with oil.

It is OK and you are able to ride it with no worries.

Eck

They are the vent hoses from:

1. the carbs(if the floats stick in down/open position gas will run out hose(s) instead of filling up your trans/crankcase)

2. the trans/crankcase(if you overfill with oil it will push it out hose(s) instead of blowing a gasket out due to over pressurization, when it gets hot)

3. the batteries use to vent here also

Normal. After an easy ride of say 70 mph for two or three hours it gets a little damp. If I ride hard 80 to 85 for two or three hours it is still just a little damp. After an oil change if you put to much oil in you may get a few drops. I just put a cardboard box flattened out on the garage floor under the hoses just in case right after and oil change.