IGNORED

Garmin nüvi 765T GPS

KiteSquid

I have the nuvi 750, I have it mounted rite above the radio controller. I used a ram mount with the base that connects on the mirror stem, 4" extension then the cradle. Its a nice clean look. I like the nuvi, its great, easy to see, works well, easy to operate, cheap, but it aint waterproof, a ziplock bag takes care of that problem.:thumbsup: Craig

Just bought one on line and awaiting it to show up.

Prior one was a 265WT with the RAM mount. I installed on the Trottle side with the U bolt and 4" extenstion. Worked fine in that place.

Not waterproof, but a good baggie will keep the rain out if encountered.

May change to the Clutch lever side when it arrives, as it is closer to the outlet to us a USB Cig liter unit to keep it powered up.

I've been looking at one of these for my wife. Sam's club has them for $269.00. but most of the stores I've checked don't have them. What prices are you folks finding?

$329.00 + taxes Canadian $$

Costco Online

Still maked the $269 US a better looking price.

I just had my windshield off, so I mounted my old gps mount (which had a defective sucker) by drilling 4 tiny holes in the base and affixing it to the dashboard. I initially was going to mount it over where the old cb was, but i think i would encounter a lot of glare there. Seeing it on top of the dash means i will not have to avert my glance far which is a huge bonus. I'll post a pic if you wish!:guitarist 2:

Before you spend lots of $$$...check out http://www.circuitcity.com/applications/refurb/refurb_slc.asp?CatId=2372&category=GPS%20/%20Navigation&srkey=refurbished%20GPS

Circuit city is back in business as a dot com. I ordered a refurbished Navigon, normally $300, got it for $99. I have not had a single problem with it.

If the link doesn't work:

www.circuitcity.com in search window put refurbished GPS

I have a 765T and also a Lowrance IWay 500C. The pro for the 765 is the size, lots easier to stash in a bag when I get off the bike and a lot lighter. I have mine mounted on a U bolt Ram mount. I like the go home feature, but searching for some things takes forever (Bass Pro shop). I never had a problem seeing the Lowrance screen in daylight, but the Garmin washes out real easy. But the plus is that the Garmin automatically adjusts for night. The IWay is waterproof, but ziploc bags are cheap and the 765 is cheaper than the IWay. The 765 uses street names when alerting for turns, which is helpful, whereas the Iway doesn't. You can change the language being spoken on the 765 which sometimes causes me to listen up a bit better (I like Australian when I have other folks, German when it is just me).

The 765 I got came with a traffic receiver. It is excellent in the car, will help you route around problems, but the cradle needed to work with that doesn't mate with my Ram mount. If I trusted the suction cup it would work, but I have a lot more faith in the Ram mount not letting go at an inappropriate moment.

Before you spend lots of $$$...check out http://www.circuitcity.com/applications/refurb/refurb_slc.asp?CatId=2372&category=GPS%20/%20Navigation&srkey=refurbished%20GPS

Circuit city is back in business as a dot com. I ordered a refurbished Navigon, normally $300, got it for $99. I have not had a single problem with it.

If the link doesn't work:

www.circuitcity.com in search window put refurbished GPS

Funny you mention this. I get e-mails from them and Tiger Direct. Same prices & same customer reviews.

I am curious about this unit as well. It seems to have most of the features I'm looking for BUT does it have a microphone input? Could it be connected using BuddyRich cable to the bike for hands free calling?

Wayne

The 765T is bluetooth enabled. It has a microphone built in, not sure if an input cable for it would work.

Well the 765T showed up and I LOVE it.

I used the suction cup mount on the windshield and it worked GREAT, but due to the vibrations the ball and socket would rotate down over time, so I had to rotate the unit up from time to time.

The MP3 player works well!!!!

Cons:

It looks like the USB interface is type 1 as it only communicated at 500kb/sec or so with my PC when I tried to load music into the SD card. I have a SD card slot on my laptop, so I used it to try to fill a 8MB card, and it only took about one hour.. over the USB it took 3 hours to transfer 1.5GB of data.

When I updated the software the file was just over 2GB, so if you update your Garmin GPS software, do it last thing before going to bed and let it download overnight.......

Then in the morning I had to start the update process and it took FOREVER, or so it seamed due to that slow USB 1.0 data transfer.... UGH!!!!

The screen washes out in direct sun, but I had it hooked up to the aux input of my sound system using the MP3 Player and the GPS would tell me when a turn was coming up, so I did not care if I could see the screen clearly.

I bought this GPS to also use in my cages, so overall I am VERY happy with the unit!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GREAT PRODUCT!!!!!!

I might buy a RAM mount to use it on the bike, but that is no this month....

UPDATE: I purchased a RAM mount and it is GREAT!!!!!!

Edited by KiteSquid

• 3 weeks later...

Glad to hear good experiences with the 765T. I just ordered one.

New Egg has them for $219 for what they call "recertified". I will let you know how it goes.

I bought the proper cradle, power cord and an adapter for a RAM mount I bought for a TomTom that I returned, all at: GPSCity.com

Hoping to use this on the bike and in the cars. It has lifetime realtime traffic, plus an FM transmitter that will let me hear the instructions in my '86 VR helmet without having to invest in bluetooth stuff. Plus it has a feature that kills the touchscreen so you can put it in your pocket to walk around, without the screen going bonkers or having to constantly shut it off and back on. My wife likes that.

It should be here in a few days. Hope I made the right decision.

Got the 765T and used it the last few days in the car and on the bike. Only weird thing is I would save a route and later call it up and it would be reset to something really close by. did this twice. Any thoughts on what is going on there?

Made a sunshield out of cardboard to see if it would help, it doesn't help much, but will try it out some more. Heck if it never gets wet, it will work as well as any of the twenty buck items.!

I have a garmin street pilot in my truck and I just got a garmin nuvi 780for the scoot and I love it. the nuvi is bluetooth and has an fm transmitter to transmit music to stereo speakers picked it up at amazon .com for 79.99. It is the same thing as the nuvi 265wt that is at Walmart.

$79.99?? Did you mean $179.99 or $279.99? That is a steal and I'd buy one for that price as well....

Had my 765T for a couple weeks now and we used it on a long cage trip to Detroit (800+ miles). It is useless to find things like gas/restaurants in a metro area. You try to call up a list, and every time you go by an exit, it recalculates and you have to start over at the first screen, and it also calls up stuff you have gone by, so getting to something in front of you is frustrating! You have to stop to locate anything (this all assumes you have a second person to run the thing, I would not try to find stuff on all these screens while driving!).

Also, the maps don't show town names, and it is hard to get it to show route numbers, just street names!

The requirement to go "back" through every screen to get back to the map is also maddening.

I am sure this is a good GPS, and every brand has its problems from what I see, but for me, a paper map is still much better, and much safer. I may eventually get used to this thing but I may toss it out the window first!

Got my power cord (hard wired) and mounts from the Mount guys (just google the name).

NOTE: I am pretty sure if you use the hard wired cable, you lose the Traffic feature because that FM receiver is in the cig. lighter power cord, but then the traffic was so behind on our trip to Detroit and going through Chicago twice, it isn't much use. My son's cell phone had accurate traffic info every time, but my GPS was useless for that.

I guess I am just not a fan of GPS. In a big metro area with turns every few hundred feet the thing hardly keeps up and you can easily miss a turn. Plus when I get where I am going (and it does that pretty good) I still have no idea where I am because I can't see a big enough map to place myself in space like with an atlas or paper map.

So I will still carry both on important trips, and keep my "analog GPS" (paper map on a special folder so i can operate it with one hand) on my bike tank cover.

Had my 765T for a couple weeks now and we used it on a long cage trip to Detroit (800+ miles). It is useless to find things like gas/restaurants in a metro area. You try to call up a list, and every time you go by an exit, it recalculates and you have to start over at the first screen, and it also calls up stuff you have gone by, so getting to something in front of you is frustrating! You have to stop to locate anything (this all assumes you have a second person to run the thing, I would not try to find stuff on all these screens while driving!).

Also, the maps don't show town names, and it is hard to get it to show route numbers, just street names!

The requirement to go "back" through every screen to get back to the map is also maddening.

I am sure this is a good GPS, and every brand has its problems from what I see, but for me, a paper map is still much better, and much safer. I may eventually get used to this thing but I may toss it out the window first!

Got my power cord (hard wired) and mounts from the Mount guys (just google the name).

NOTE: I am pretty sure if you use the hard wired cable, you lose the Traffic feature because that FM receiver is in the cig. lighter power cord, but then the traffic was so behind on our trip to Detroit and going through Chicago twice, it isn't much use. My son's cell phone had accurate traffic info every time, but my GPS was useless for that.

I guess I am just not a fan of GPS. In a big metro area with turns every few hundred feet the thing hardly keeps up and you can easily miss a turn. Plus when I get where I am going (and it does that pretty good) I still have no idea where I am because I can't see a big enough map to place myself in space like with an atlas or paper map.

So I will still carry both on important trips, and keep my "analog GPS" (paper map on a special folder so i can operate it with one hand) on my bike tank cover.

I can help alleviate one of your frustrations......to go back to the map if you are several screens deep, just press and HOLD the back button. It will go back to the main menu. Then just press the Map button if it doesn't automatically pull it up. Usually does for me. No need to hit the back button 8 times if you are that deep into the screens. At least that's the way it works for the 780, which is just an updated 765.....and by the way, I love my new 780. Compared to my Lowrance 500c, it is much easier to operate.

Edited by FreezyRider

Joe, I will give that a try (holding the BACK button). You are right that would eliminate one frustration! :)

Agree on the suction cup mount. Had it fall on me in the car yesterday, have a RAM mount for the bike with a secure cradle and my homemade cardboard sun shield. (put about 3 coats of paint on it so it is pretty waterproof).