greetings i am broke down here in carlsbad nm. haw can i find out if we have any members here without having to scroll through the whole list? bike just clicks when starter button is pushed. also when it is pushed speedometer guage goes from right to left. can i boost bike?

Sounds like battery went ,Yes you can jump it. Hope someone in the area gives a hand.If you get stuck there and still there next week I will come get you but I have to go to work today and do not get home till SaturdayAM..then off a week. 8307080314 If that becomes a reality. Tom

Yes, you can jump start the bike with another 12 volt source. You may need to let it charge up some before trying to start it. It may be your alternator or just a bad battery. I am not knowledgeable about the 1st gen., but I know a lot about the 2nd gen. having had to install a new stator.

:farmer:

Well, if the battery was fine the bike should still crank unless the starter solenoid is stuck.

As others have said, I would start by checking the battery (and the battery terminals & connections).

Then connect it to another vehicle (with 12V system) and turn your key on, remove the negative jump terminal from your battery then replace it and see if you notice any difference with the brightness of your lights. Then try to start 'er up. If you remove the jump cable and the bike dies almost immediately then it could be the alternator or something else in the charging system too... But one thing at a time.

I will be back in town real late Monday night. I know you said that your son is around, but if you are still around there and need an extra hand let me know - I am only 170 miles (2.5 hrs) away and would be happy to assist. - my # is in my profile

First I want to thank everyone for their sugestions and offers of help. I made it home yesterday around 4:00 pm, I had to replace battery. Battery that was on bike was about a year old. but stranger things have happened. I was glad that that was what the problem was. Learned something new through. bossman